• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Funimation's Darker Than Black Season 2 License Expires

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hatsu95

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2018 2:16 pm Reply with quote
I saw DTB in the title and got excited for a moment Sad
Greed1914

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2018 2:30 pm Reply with quote
It was only a matter of time before this happened. The real question is: What does Aniplex plan to do with these shows? Anything not named Fullmetal Alchemist basically disappeared, and with Funimation and Aniplex both falling under the same owner, it seems silly to just sit on the licenses.
GNPixie

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2018 2:58 pm Reply with quote
Greed1914 wrote:
and with Funimation and Aniplex both falling under the same owner, it seems silly to just sit on the licenses.

They aren't; that's the thing.

Sony Pictures Entertainment =/= Sony Music Japan.
They both report to Sony proper but they are basically different companies.
Thespacemaster

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2018 3:55 pm Reply with quote
- 03/31/16: Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood
- 03/31/16: Fullmetal Alchemist: The Conqueror of Shamballa
- 07/31/16: Fullmetal Alchemist
- 10/14/16: Birdy the Mighy: Decode
- 10/28/16: Sound of the Sky (via Manga Ent)
- 12/31/16: Wagnaria!!2

- 02/09/17: Sekirei (Note: Season 2 currently not on Hulu)
- 05/29/17: Black Butler
- 08/02/17: Angel Beats!
- 08/12/17: Night Raid 1931

- 06/01/18: Mardock Scramble: The First Compression
- 06/02/18: Mardock Scramble: The Second Combustion
- 06/30/18: Black Butler II
- 06/30/18: Shiki
- 07/02/18: No.6
- 08/31/18: Darker Than Black Season 2
- 10/02/18: Persona 4: The Animation
- 11/02/18: A-Channel: The Animation
- 12/01/18: Inu X Boku Secret Service
- 12/31/18: Mardock Scramble: The Third Exhaust

- 03/12/19: Rurouni Kenshin: New Kyoto Arc
- 04/01/19: tsuritama

- 10/12/20: Guilty Crown

- 06/30/22: Black Butler: Book of Circus

These are all the anime that are on the chopping block from funimation and sentai as they are under aniplex. so far every date has been correct. for the last few titles, you better hurry before they are gone for good.
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2018 4:02 pm Reply with quote
Greed1914 wrote:
It was only a matter of time before this happened. The real question is: What does Aniplex plan to do with these shows? Anything not named Fullmetal Alchemist basically disappeared
They re-released Baccano!, another Funimation title, and there are other titles that they've got from other publishers that they've re-released like Gurren Lagann and Read or Die.

@Thespacemaster
Doesn't Rightstuff own Sound of the Sky, they put out a DVD version years ago, and recently put out a Blu-ray.
Thespacemaster

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2018 4:11 pm Reply with quote
MarshalBanana wrote:
Greed1914 wrote:
It was only a matter of time before this happened. The real question is: What does Aniplex plan to do with these shows? Anything not named Fullmetal Alchemist basically disappeared
They re-released Baccano!, another Funimation title, and there are other titles that they've got from other publishers that they've re-released like Gurren Lagann and Read or Die.

@Thespacemaster
Doesn't Rightstuff own Sound of the Sky, they put out a DVD version years ago, and recently put out a Blu-ray.

Your right but most of the titles are from funimation and sentai, i can't keep up with every publisher but you get the point.
64BitRatchet

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2018 4:13 pm Reply with quote
Greed1914 wrote:
It was only a matter of time before this happened. The real question is: What does Aniplex plan to do with these shows? Anything not named Fullmetal Alchemist basically disappeared, and with Funimation and Aniplex both falling under the same owner, it seems silly to just sit on the licenses.
Darker than Black season 1 is on Amazon Prime Video.
One-Eye

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2018 5:50 pm Reply with quote
MarshalBanana wrote:
Greed1914 wrote:

Funimation still had DVD and streaming rights till about 2016, Aniplex of America got the BD rights and released it around 2011-2012. The DVDs are now OOP and the BDs went that way before the DVDs. So to be more accurate they didn't really re-release it, because Funi still had some of the rights and their DVD was still in print when AoA BD went OOP. They have not put out a new release since then.

R.O.D was originally Geneon if memory serves correctly and they went the way of the Dodo. R.O.D OVA was Manga and their US side doesn't really exist and the company got bought by anchor bay. They were both old anime 2001-2003 and it was AoA first BD release in the U.S. I believe its been OOP since around 2013. This one was before what seems to be the current Aniplex strategy of not re-licensing some shows to companies like Funimation, so I don't think this counts as an example of them re-releasing shows.

The same goes for Gurren Lagann which was held by Bandai and since they exited the NA market? Yea, so Aniplex gets it and they have kept it in print, but again I believe this was initially released (2013?) before their current strategy/policies? So again probably not an example of what they are doing with shows that Aniplex has taken back from companies that licensed them.

Its hard to tell what they are intending to do. Some shows they might feel are too old to be worth it to re-release on BD (like ROD) and its hard to compete with newer popular shows in both a physical release and even streaming considering the glut of entertainment out there today. Shows that were very popular back in the day and have high nostalgia value will probably get re-released in some form (like Gurren Lagann). Some might see expensive releases on anniversary dates, while others may in time be released for streaming on a rotational basis but have no physical release.
michaeltanzer

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2018 9:37 pm Reply with quote
That means, it will be redubbed but by Aniplex right?[/quote]
CrownKlown

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2018 12:05 am Reply with quote
GNPixie wrote:
Greed1914 wrote:
and with Funimation and Aniplex both falling under the same owner, it seems silly to just sit on the licenses.

They aren't; that's the thing.

Sony Pictures Entertainment =/= Sony Music Japan.
They both report to Sony proper but they are basically different companies.

I don't see how your argument. He said they both fall under the same owner which they do, SONY. You are simply making a semantical argument because irregardless of those two functioning independently they are both ultimately owned by the same company. I work for a company that owns many companies, and they run independently, but if Corp say jump, they ask how high.
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2018 3:10 am Reply with quote
michaeltanzer wrote:
That means, it will be redubbed but by Aniplex right?
[/quote] They will have Funimations dub, so it's highly unlikely that they will re-dub the show. Not that it needs re-dubbing.
Nonaka Machine Gun B

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2018 9:35 am Reply with quote
I wonder if this means Aniplex is gearing up to do something with the show... Season 1 is not available in Japanese at all. Only the dub is streaming on Amazon.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1