• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Sonic the Hedgehog Film Casts Ben Schwartz as Sonic

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DigitalScratch

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2018 4:19 pm Reply with quote
Man, I have no desire to see this movie but a part of me wanted them to get Jaleel White to reprise Sonic.
SonicFanA

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2018 4:39 pm Reply with quote
Even though I do not have high hopes for this film, I still want to see it. I told myself I will support Sonic if anything new came out.
batwing321

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2018 4:40 pm Reply with quote
First Dewey, then Leo, and now Sonic? Anyone else sensing a bit of a "blue" theme going on?
FLCLGainax

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2018 4:59 pm Reply with quote
Glad he's just voicing him and not dressing up in prosthetics to look like the hedgehog.
Wyvern

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2018 5:49 pm Reply with quote
I hope he makes Sonic sound EXACTLY like Jean-Ralphio.

"Oh, honey, let me tell you about Dr. Eggman. That guy is [sings] the wooooooooooorrrrrrrssst!"
capt_bunny

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2018 6:28 pm Reply with quote
Wyvern wrote:
I hope he makes Sonic sound EXACTLY like Jean-Ralphio.

"Oh, honey, let me tell you about Dr. Eggman. That guy is [sings] the wooooooooooorrrrrrrssst!"

I was about to make a comment on this!! lDDDD
Thank you and I hope so too!
Dracospirit121

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2018 6:57 pm Reply with quote
Proberly work better as stricly CGI film IMHO. Sonic doesn't seem right in the real world.
Silver Kirin

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2018 8:06 pm Reply with quote
It is a shame that they didn't try to keep Sonic's current voice actor, but I think this is expected for a theatrical film. Still, I wonder when are we going to see Sonic's new design
CastMember1991

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2018 8:37 pm Reply with quote
Silver Kirin wrote:
It is a shame that they didn't try to keep Sonic's current voice actor, but I think this is expected for a theatrical film. Still, I wonder when are we going to see Sonic's new design

It's actually inexcusable they didn't keep Sonic's current voice actor. Even Jim Cummings was kept as the voice of Winnie the Pooh in the live-action Christopher Robin movie (which, although I don't plan on seeing it, I appreciate they kept Cummings). It's best they left it alone, this smells like a recipe for disaster already.

I doubt Nintendo and Universal will make the mistake of recasting the voice of Mario in the upcoming animated movie. Nintendo in particular is very sacred when it comes to their IP's.
ARC-1300

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2018 10:02 pm Reply with quote
CastMember1991 wrote:
Silver Kirin wrote:

It's actually inexcusable they didn't keep Sonic's current voice actor. Even Jim Cummings was kept as the voice of Winnie the Pooh in the live-action Christopher Robin movie (which, although I don't plan on seeing it, I appreciate they kept Cummings). It's best they left it alone, this smells like a recipe for disaster already.

I doubt Nintendo and Universal will make the mistake of recasting the voice of Mario in the upcoming animated movie. Nintendo in particular is very sacred when it comes to their IP's.

that Winnie the pooh movie is the only time I've ever seen that happen. its pretty much accepted (well not liked ) that video game voice actors never reprise their roles for Hollywood movies.

i guess you could say transformers count,but it isn't a game either.
MFrontier

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2018 11:21 pm Reply with quote
ARC-1300 wrote:
CastMember1991 wrote:
Silver Kirin wrote:

that Winnie the pooh movie is the only time I've ever seen that happen. its pretty much accepted (well not liked ) that video game voice actors never reprise their roles for Hollywood movies.

i guess you could say transformers count,but it isn't a game either.

The Ratchet and Clank movie retained most of the major game VA's, although it also didn't do very good in the box office...
Firefly251

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2018 11:52 pm Reply with quote
Not a fan of the guys voice.

thoguh i may watch it for Jim's take on Robonik...
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2018 12:53 pm Reply with quote
DigitalScratch wrote:
Man, I have no desire to see this movie but a part of me wanted them to get Jaleel White to reprise Sonic.

Why would they had done that especially in the light of the fact he hasn't voice the character since Underground.
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2018 12:54 pm Reply with quote
DigitalScratch wrote:

Only a part of you? The full sum of me wanted nothing less than this!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2018 1:08 pm Reply with quote
CastMember1991 wrote:

It's actually inexcusable they didn't keep Sonic's current voice actor. Even Jim Cummings was kept as the voice of Winnie the Pooh in the live-action Christopher Robin movie

That's somethng that Disney chose to do and something that didn't have to do also (the fact that they didn't reuse some of the surviving voice actors for the Ducktales reboot should make that obvious). It's also not really comparable with the Sonic example as Cummings has done the voice for Pooh for years, Roger Craig Smith on the other hand is one of six men who have voiced Sonic in english within the last 23 years.

MFrontier wrote:

The Ratchet and Clank movie retained most of the major game VA's, although it also didn't do very good in the box office...

That had less to do with the cast and likely more to do with the fact that mainstream audiences likely saw the movie as being uninspired and dull in a medium that sees a myriad of different animated movies come out every few weeks.

Dracospirit121 wrote:
Proberly work better as stricly CGI film IMHO. Sonic doesn't seem right in the real world.

Didn't stop them from making that Progressive commercial.

CastMember1991 wrote:

This is the same Nintendo that made Super Mario Sunshine back in 2002 and had everyone but Mario speak full lines of dialog and since then have made Mario games where the only person that speaks is Princess Peach who mostly says one or two word lines..... you're giving way too much credit with regards to how much they utilize Marinet and the other voice actors.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2