• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Novel Connection Between The Tatami Galaxy and The Night Is Short, Walk On Girl

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LegitPancake

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2018 12:18 pm Reply with quote
Apparently some theaters (or maybe just this one) had a problem when screening the movie last night.
https://youtu.be/g63jojPRouI
It was never fixed and the poster on Reddit says they got refunds. Good thing it is a 2 night event.
John Thacker

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2018 1:01 pm Reply with quote
It's interesting to compare these to The Eccentric Family adaptations, another Morimi work. Nise Denki Bran shows up in both.
Gurren Rodan

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2018 9:36 pm Reply with quote
I finally watched The Tatami Galaxy earlier this year, and instantly loved it; so I was very excited to see this film in theaters. I ended up taking four other people with me, and not only did I love it, but they all liked it, too! (two of them are essentially new to anime, and another is pretty picky/critical with films these days) I hope this film makes good money for its limited run, and I hope we can see it and Lu on home video from Gkids soon!
relyat08

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2018 12:20 am Reply with quote
Really eloquently written article. I tend to give all the credit for the incredibly profound understanding of the plight of being a young adult to Yuasa, but clearly Morimi has just as much of a handle on it.
bemused Bohemian

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2018 12:23 am Reply with quote
One of the few anime shows to actually publicly appear in Columbia, MO for a 2-night stand rather than forcing a lazy guy like me to drive 4-5 hour RT to the extremities of this state's I-70 corridor for animated culture. I want to thank GKIDS and Regal 14 for their gamble. Tuesday's showing had about 20 people on site watching, enjoying the show. Audio sound surround was terrific. Show had the quality of a Broadway musical. I really enjoyed it. It was also a treat to see upcoming anime movie promos featured instead of the usual CG bang bang shoot 'em ups.

There was an additional treat for those of us diehards whose resolve kept us beyond Japanese film credits end. It was a trailer interview with the Director (also English sub-titled) discussing his thoughts re The Night Is Short, Walk On Girl production and what aspects of The Tatami Galaxy got infused versus which did not. I was surprised there was no mention of The Eccentric Family in any of that discussion as there were moments that clearly mirrored certain scenes, character shenanigans from that series.

Great show, absolute delight to watch, wishful it may get BD release for US consumption possibly in my lifetime. But I have to cast some restraint over my exuberance as I did find some the of dramatizations overextended, a little overwrought. This show lasted 93 minutes. And though I enjoyed it thoroughly I felt had 15-20 minutes been trimmed off it would have been much better. Sixty minutes in I felt the show was reaching a point where it was just lasting too longish for my senses.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2018 2:21 am Reply with quote
John Thacker wrote:
It's interesting to compare these to The Eccentric Family adaptations, another Morimi work. Nise Denki Bran shows up in both.

I had to go look it up in the middle of watching it because the Eccentric Family shout-outs (Kyoto setting, triple-decker magic bus, Denki Bran liquor, Shimogamo, darumas, among others) were becoming so frequent I knew there had to be a connection. Smile

At any rate, this is my favorite of Yuasa's projects, as it's probably his most accessible (for which I credit Morimi). I've never been able to make it through Tatami Galaxy (not for lack of trying several times) because of the exhausting dialog. This movie was much more relatable, and I liked how neatly all its themes came together (which in itself was one of the themes).
Usagi-kun

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2018 10:59 am Reply with quote
Importing Tatami was one of the best decisions I have ever made. I hope we eventually get a Stateside release, but even still, Yuasa's style is visually intoxicating and I hope the success of this film will give him an even bigger audience. Anybody on the fence, check these titles out!
nixice

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2018 1:02 am Reply with quote
LegitPancake wrote:
Apparently some theaters (or maybe just this one) had a problem when screening the movie last night.
https://youtu.be/g63jojPRouI
It was never fixed and the poster on Reddit says they got refunds. Good thing it is a 2 night event.

Played fine for me, thankfully (and I loved it.) Had some trouble with a Rifftrax showing the next night, though, and have been in 3 or 4 digital shows that have had problems, so I know how crushing it can be when a limited/one-night-only event like this goes wrong.

The worst was a few weeks ago, I was at Fireworks, and the feed broke shortly after the first pool scene. The projectionist had to switch over to their backup player after 20 minutes of futzing around, and could only start the movie over from the very beginning, couldn't fast-forward. So I'm sitting there watching the same scenes from the movie over again (and I had already started to lose interest in it before it broke unfortunately,) and just as it catches back up again, I find myself thinking, "You know what'd drive me delirious is if this movie spoiler[had like a Groundhog Day's loop to it that it kept repeating the same scenes over and over again."] And then...
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1