• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
A Tree of Palme - Review

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DreamedLint

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 7:18 pm Reply with quote
Hi, I recently finished making a youtube video review of A Tree of Palme. I really enjoyed the film, and after recently rewatching it, I was reminded of how little discussion exists on the movie, especially on youtube. I feel like it should at least have some kind of cult following, but it's virtually forgotten.

Here is a link to the video: https://youtu.be/SlCLeUiLFwo

I am interested to hear from anyone else who's seen the film or just has thoughts on the video. I wrote the review as a purely written piece and then just read it off and edited some footage to line up with what I was saying. It doesn't make for the most compelling watch, but I hope its bearable. Thank you for your time.

(I am aware self promotion is only tolerated under specific circumstances. So, if this post in any way violates that or belongs somewhere else, I apologize.)
GeorgeC

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2018 10:04 pm Reply with quote
Well,
I watched it months ago for the first time even though I've had the DVD of it FOR YEARS...

I love the story of Pinocchio. It's one of my favorite Disney animated features, too, but I have read an English translation of Collodi's original story AND have an adaptation with artwork by Gris Grimly so I'm biased to like this story.

The anime was a very good version of the Pinocchio story and felt like it could have been a Ghibli feature in ways. The artwork was excellent, the ending was semi-sad, too.

If people expect a straight-up adapation of Pinocchio, it really isn't... It just borrows the basic theme of animated woodwork and goes in its own direction. Oh, and don't expect blue fairies or talking crickets, either!

If anything, it shows there ARE other directors besides Miyazaki that can handle this material in Japan.

I'll probably watch it again in a few more years. I've forgotten so much with all the other stuff I've seen recently but the film left me with good feelings...
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1