• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: 1st Banner of the Stars Novel in 5 Years Debuts

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kruszer

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2018 6:32 pm Reply with quote
Someone please license rescue these novels here for English speakers, stat. The 3 Crest of the Stars books were really great. Crying or Very sad
Stampeed Valkyrie

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2018 6:39 pm Reply with quote
I'm with you 100%
I don't believe anyone ever released the Banner of the stars novels.. if they did, I would have found them already!

I'm mostly familiar with the plot.. so I wonder what will change with this release.

and someone needs to release the Banner of the Stars 3 OVA.. that never made it state side.
Set1229

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2018 7:36 pm Reply with quote
I need to get back into the anime. Lafiel's looks equals Super Saiyan Beauty Blue 3!
NegativeZero

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2018 8:58 pm Reply with quote
I'd like to see the novels rescued, but only if it also came with a complete do-over on the localization. Tokyopop's localization has such a fetish for Ahb-language words (complete with crazy spelling which is 'accurate' but not remotely easy to understand how to pronounce) and this extends into using a bunch of made-up words with crazy spellings to describe simple everyday objects. It happens so often that it breaks the flow of the text, forcing you to constantly flip back to the glossary to understand even basic sentences because it's covered with terms that replace everyday words, seemingly only for the sake of it.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
dm
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2018 9:45 pm Reply with quote
I'd love for the novels to be re-released, and the series continued, but please, another translation ( I'm afraid you're stuck with all the Abh terminology, as that is a major part of the novels in Japanese --- that's why the shows start out with a lengthy historical narration in Abh).

But please, don't make Lafiel talk like a valley girl. She's arrogant and haughty (while simultaneously vulnerable), and should sound like it.
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2018 10:34 pm Reply with quote
But if they re-did the dub, we'd lose the amazing Grand Duchess Spoor's voice, too. That would be a crime.
Kruszer

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2018 10:51 pm Reply with quote
NegativeZero wrote:
I'd like to see the novels rescued, but only if it also came with a complete do-over on the localization. Tokyopop's localization has such a fetish for Ahb-language words (complete with crazy spelling which is 'accurate' but not remotely easy to understand how to pronounce) and this extends into using a bunch of made-up words with crazy spellings to describe simple everyday objects. It happens so often that it breaks the flow of the text, forcing you to constantly flip back to the glossary to understand even basic sentences because it's covered with terms that replace everyday words, seemingly only for the sake of it.

Also the type-Os.....oh god, the type-Os. Shocked

Don't hire Tokyopop's proofreader back. Did they even have one for those novels?
Key

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2018 11:34 pm Reply with quote
The localization had such a fetish for Abh words because the original Japanese text did. (IIRC, there were translations in Abh running side-by-side with the Japanese text or some such thing, so we actually got off easy.)

The writing quality of the novels wasn't the greatest, but I'd still welcome more translations, as the central characters and world-building have long made this one of my favorite franchises.

And yeah, I'd take a total redub of the anime even if it means losing Mariette Sluyter's wonderful rendition of Spoor. Too much of the rest of the English dub just makes me cringe.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Stampeed Valkyrie

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2018 7:40 am Reply with quote
Key wrote:

And yeah, I'd take a total redub of the anime even if it means losing Mariette Sluyter's wonderful rendition of Spoor. Too much of the rest of the English dub just makes me cringe.

I'm not a dub fan in the slightest, but if Crest and Banner of the Stars english dub was horrible and I don't notice it... then that means modern dubs are exponentially worse.

Bring out Banner of the Stars 3, and I don't care if it has a dub.
belvadeer

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2018 11:51 am Reply with quote
Key wrote:

Sluyter was in this? Now I truly regret I skipped watching this back when the Anime Unleashed block was airing.

Stampeed Valkyrie wrote:
I'm not a dub fan in the slightest, but if Crest and Banner of the Stars english dub was horrible and I don't notice it... then that means modern dubs are exponentially worse.

That doesn't even make any sense.

Last edited by belvadeer on Tue Sep 04, 2018 2:37 pm; edited 2 times in total
Barciad

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2018 2:10 pm Reply with quote
Just wow.
Better late than never.
A sublime series from start to finish. I often fear I've gone a bit 'Tiger that came to Tea' on this. But this is the whole Western science-fiction tradition skewered from front to back.
Brilliantly conceived, superbly written, and magnificently realised.
A better anime I have yet to see.
More please.
Top Gun

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2018 3:42 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:

Honestly I didn't mind the dub. Crest was pretty...raw, especially for most of the side characters, but Jinto and Lafiel's actors grew into their roles, and by Banner they were doing pretty well. Plus I tend to find something charming about shows of that vintage with dubs that are a bit stilted; it just feels like it fits for some reason. It certainly wasn't show-ruining in any case.
partially

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2018 5:22 pm Reply with quote
The Crest and Banner series are somewhat odd ones at this point. They were fairly popular at the time, at least Bandai did give the anime a couple of re-releases. And Tokyopop licensed and released the first novels. And yet despite the series both being extensively discussed since. (There have been at least two dedicated fan-sites and forums, which is more than most shows of the era. Abh Nation and Kin of the Stars are the largest, and KotS is still quite active.) The novels and anime have languished in license hell since. The anime at least seems a fairly sure bet of having reasonable sales. I can only think at this point that there is a party actively blocking an English language re-release. I would be very surprised if no one has attempted to license it.

As for the novels, from what I understand, particularly the later books, are very hard to translate compared to your standard light novel. And Tokyopop still did a pretty crap job with Crest, the easiest to translate. Which makes their release more obvious as to why it isn't happening. I doubt they could find a translator willing to attempt it at the usual pittance they are paid. Given they are paid on word count, not time taken or difficulty, at least from what I have heard.
jr240483

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2018 11:45 pm Reply with quote
Stampeed Valkyrie wrote:
I'm with you 100%
I don't believe anyone ever released the Banner of the stars novels.. if they did, I would have found them already!

I'm mostly familiar with the plot.. so I wonder what will change with this release.

and someone needs to release the Banner of the Stars 3 OVA.. that never made it state side.

tokyopop did do the light novels. BUT it was unfortunately only two.

however this series definitely needs to be taken a look at again. i mean if the legend of galactic heroes and arslan senki can get the benefit of the doubt, then i am sure that the sekai no senki series can be as well. especially for the case of galactic heroes which is uber older than sekai!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
nargun

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2018 7:17 am Reply with quote
Key wrote:
The localization had such a fetish for Abh words because the original Japanese text did. (IIRC, there were translations in Abh running side-by-side with the Japanese text or some such thing, so we actually got off easy.)

I believe it's a standard write-the-kanji-then-stick-furigana-to-give-it-a-fancy-reading effect, beloved of chuunibyou everywhere [everywhere in japan, at least]. If you're literate enough to read the kanji then you barely notice the furigana.

[the orthography makes sense though: mh-> f is a language effect: if a word ending in m [like lam-, from "tama" pearl] is followed by a word starting with h [like hir-, from "kiri", mist] then they merge and are pronounced "f", as in "lamhirh" [female name]. Other consonants too; irish and I think hebrew do similar things. As for the vowels: most of the distinctions don't exist in english, so it doesn't really matter how you mangle it...]
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2