• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Answerman - Why Doesn't Anime Record Voices Before Animating?

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nobahn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2018 12:27 pm Reply with quote
I've always wondered the Japanese method isn't used here in the States for low-budget animation. I get why Hollywood wouldn't be worried about the expense, but what about independent productions?
Ajc228

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2018 12:49 pm Reply with quote
Prerecording the voices in anime is a rarity. Akira is a notable production that actually prerecorded the voices prior to the animation and I think the later tv series Kurenai might have done this as well. I’m struggling to think of other examples.
The Hollow Shrine

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2018 12:57 pm Reply with quote
ufotable always does voicework before animation. Same goes for the soundtracks. There's some nice interviews out there with Yuki Kajiura and the poor guy that directed UBW and Boukyaku Rokuon, about their work with ufotable.
whiskeyii

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2018 1:03 pm Reply with quote
Ajc228 wrote:
Prerecording the voices in anime is a rarity. Akira is a notable production that actually prerecorded the voices prior to the animation and I think the later tv series Kurenai might have done this as well. I’m struggling to think of other examples.

Pretty sure Gonzo's Red Garden used this approach as well. I think it was part of their marketing/promotional material when Anime Network on Demand was still a thing.
addiemon

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2018 4:19 pm Reply with quote
whiskeyii wrote:
Kurenai might have done this as well.

Yeah, Kurenai did that very early attempt at speed-dubbing a show for near-simultaneous broadcast in the US, if I remember correctly...though not a great show to pick for it, IMO, and it was a deep cable channel, I think. (Like IFC or something?)

I remember hearing that the English voice actors were recording lines at the pencil test stage, so based on this info from Justin I'd guess that they were recording in EN around the same time as (or maybe a little after) the Japanese versions recorded?

That was Toshifumi Yoshida doing the EN ADR directing, right? Who does Pokemon now I think?
pengin senshi
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2018 4:37 pm Reply with quote
Ajc228 wrote:

addiemon wrote:
Yeah, Kurenai did that very early attempt at speed-dubbing a show for near-simultaneous broadcast in the US, if I remember correctly...

I'm guessing you guys actually meant Kurokami:

animenewsnetwork.com/news/2008-12-14/bandai-entertainment-gets-kurokami-anime

Either way, it must have been quite experience to dub at such an early stage.
Ajc228

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2018 5:12 pm Reply with quote
pengin senshi wrote:
Ajc228 wrote:

addiemon wrote:
Yeah, Kurenai did that very early attempt at speed-dubbing a show for near-simultaneous broadcast in the US, if I remember correctly...

I'm guessing you guys actually meant Kurokami:

animenewsnetwork.com/news/2008-12-14/bandai-entertainment-gets-kurokami-anime

Either way, it must have been quite experience to dub at such an early stage.

Nope, I was referring to Kurenai a show from 2008 directed by Kou Matsuo. Addiemon is referencing Kurokami or something else.
mierin

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2018 5:49 pm Reply with quote
Actually I don't think it's all that rare nowadays that they record voices before animation is complete in Japan.

I've heard voice actors talk in radio shows about how sometimes they just have some rough sketches as visual guide instead of actual animation when voicing characters. Though I think the sound director probably guides them as to how long they need to deliver their lines
Sakagami Tomoyo

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2018 9:19 pm Reply with quote
Justin wrote:
I'll never understand just how the Japanese voice process can so accurately match good performances with already-done animation

If shows like Shirobako and Animation Runner Kuromi are accurate in this way, someone on the production staff goes through every spoken line in the script and determines exactly how long it takes to be spoken, so they don't have the issue of a voice actor needing to squeeze in the line in an unnaturally short time or stretch it out to fit.
configspace

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2018 10:01 pm Reply with quote
Sakagami Tomoyo wrote:
Justin wrote:
I'll never understand just how the Japanese voice process can so accurately match good performances with already-done animation

If shows like Shirobako and Animation Runner Kuromi are accurate in this way, someone on the production staff goes through every spoken line in the script and determines exactly how long it takes to be spoken, so they don't have the issue of a voice actor needing to squeeze in the line in an unnaturally short time or stretch it out to fit.

Ah yes, the stopwatch scene.

Even though both are recorded afterward, there is still one advantage the original language recording have over a foreign dub: the mouth flaps and syllables are timed to the original phonemes of the Japanese script. This gets into the later part of what you mentioned, commonly padding a line out for the dub (and less occasionally squeezing) since Japanese tends to have more syllables

Example animation sequence for a line is: "Demo watashi wa ... <pause>"
is very, very different than its direct translation of "But I ... <pause>"
so the English ADR director/writer has the extra burden of padding that line out with something that will fit the mouth flaps but still sound natural. I remeber reading an interview with an ADR for ADV at the time saying it was a tough process often taking for granted by the audience and the signficant difference between a dub and original post-laid audio. It was a the point where some stilted dub dialogue can be introduced because of the restrictions
Ultimate N

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2018 10:03 pm Reply with quote
This is something that is my primary defense for dubs. I feel like most people think anime has the Japanese audio synced up to the animation when in actuality it is the exact same as English dubs. I will still always say that subs are not better than dubs because they are the original or "true" version. Anime is and will always be made with dubs in mind
JustStopPlz

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2018 11:28 pm Reply with quote
Any particular reason you copy/pasted the exact same question(even asked by the same person) and answer from December 11th 2017? The only thing that was changed was the title of the article. I knew this question sounded familiar, but I thought it might have been a few years ago, but it was actually less than a year.
NeoStrayCat

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2018 1:35 am Reply with quote
JustStopPlz wrote:
Any particular reason you copy/pasted the exact same question(even asked by the same person) and answer from December 11th 2017? The only thing that was changed was the title of the article. I knew this question sounded familiar, but I thought it might have been a few years ago, but it was actually less than a year.

Yeah, I knew something was up, unsure if the header picture was the same, but...anyways, at least the previous Manga Answerman put up a disclaimer that it was a repeat but it will return with a new article the week after, not so much this one. >.>
Sahmbahdeh

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2018 7:51 am Reply with quote
mierin wrote:
Actually I don't think it's all that rare nowadays that they record voices before animation is complete in Japan.

I've heard voice actors talk in radio shows about how sometimes they just have some rough sketches as visual guide instead of actual animation when voicing characters. Though I think the sound director probably guides them as to how long they need to deliver their lines

The article explicitly said they do it at the pencil test stage, so no actual animation is done. The thing is, the pencil test stage is already quite a ways into the production; also, voice actors aren't animators, so they might not know the difference between pencil test and sketches, or be totally familiar with the process.
j_plex

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2018 10:43 am Reply with quote
Looks hilarious enough to investigate checking out.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2