• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Interview: Sohei Niikawa, Writer and Producer of Disgaea

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kyokun47

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 2:44 pm Reply with quote
I'm currently playing Disgaea 1 Complete on my Switch, but as a huge fan of the original (Disgaea 2 is my favorite game of all time, and Disgaea DS is the game with the longest total playtime in my library), this remake has been really disappointing. Certain changes that were made graphically, certain changes that were not made and/or removed from ports gameplay-wise.

I expected it to be a port of Disgaea PC without the performance problems from launch, but there isn't even an option to go back to the old sprites/maps (they've completely changed the sprites of some classes to new ones with HD sprites from the newer games rather than making HD sprites of the original classes) None of the QoL changes from Disgaea DS or Disgaea 5 were implemented, so this just feels like a very lazy port. Also still no return of the multiplayer mode? I'll live, but I miss it lol

I've heard that there will be a patch in the future addressing some of this stuff after the feedback of the western release, but I'm still going to be hesitant if they remake Disgaea 2. Let's hope they do it justice, dood~
ChimeyChime

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2018 12:42 am Reply with quote
I actually just began replaying disgaea 2 again. one pirate away from unlocking spoiler[Land of Carnage]

Such a great series. I love the crazy shenanigans and crazy damage numbers! xD
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2018 9:37 pm Reply with quote
kyokun47 wrote:
I'm currently playing Disgaea 1 Complete on my Switch, but as a huge fan of the original (Disgaea 2 is my favorite game of all time, and Disgaea DS is the game with the longest total playtime in my library), this remake has been really disappointing. Certain changes that were made graphically, certain changes that were not made and/or removed from ports gameplay-wise.

I expected it to be a port of Disgaea PC without the performance problems from launch, but there isn't even an option to go back to the old sprites/maps (they've completely changed the sprites of some classes to new ones with HD sprites from the newer games rather than making HD sprites of the original classes) None of the QoL changes from Disgaea DS or Disgaea 5 were implemented, so this just feels like a very lazy port. Also still no return of the multiplayer mode? I'll live, but I miss it lol

I've heard that there will be a patch in the future addressing some of this stuff after the feedback of the western release, but I'm still going to be hesitant if they remake Disgaea 2. Let's hope they do it justice, dood~

I was under the impression this game was a remake and not a port like every other version of Disgaea 1 that followed the PS2 original.
kyokun47

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2018 3:16 am Reply with quote
BadNewsBlues wrote:
kyokun47 wrote:

I was under the impression this game was a remake and not a port like every other version of Disgaea 1 that followed the PS2 original.

I was under the same impression, but interviews state otherwise. They overhauled the visuals and nothing else. If it was a full remake, then people would still be disappointed in it since it doesn't have any of the new additions from the most recent Disgaea game. The one thing I got from interviews was that they wanted to retain the original gameplay of the first, and this is definitely it, quirks and all. For example, healers in the first game (and only the first) can't earn experience and level up from using their healing spell. Incredible lol

Since I knew this going into it, I can't say I'm mad - just disappointed. This was an anniversary project after all, but they didn't bother putting in much extra effort. Almost all of the sprites are reused assets from other games, the new map textures are pulled from the PC port - they didn't even change the name of the game from Disgaea PC in the credits. It's just hard to see for a series that means so much to me bring so little to the table. I'm still having a great time revisiting it, don't get me wrong. There are just so many small quality-of-life changes that could have been made/preserved from ports that would have made such a huge difference.
Chiibi

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2018 8:22 pm Reply with quote
First Disgaea is BEST Disgaea. Change my mind. Anime hyper

.......what I really would have liked though is a manga version with all the artwork done by the game artists.

We only got one official manga volume and the art isn't NEARLY as nice. Sad

BUT KEEP PUTTING THOSE ARTBOOKS OUT. I'LL KEEP BUYIN EM.

I have like three.....right now....I think. xD I have pins, I have mini posters, a coffee mug, two figures of Laharl one of Flonne, and a figure of the main two from the second game.
kyokun47

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 1:48 am Reply with quote
Chiibi wrote:
First Disgaea is BEST Disgaea. Change my mind. Anime hyper

.......what I really would have liked though is a manga version with all the artwork done by the game artists.

We only got one official manga volume and the art isn't NEARLY as nice. Sad

BUT KEEP PUTTING THOSE ARTBOOKS OUT. I'LL KEEP BUYIN EM.

I have like three.....right now....I think. xD I have pins, I have mini posters, a coffee mug, two figures of Laharl one of Flonne, and a figure of the main two from the second game.

I think the second game polished the mechanics out a bit better, especially EXP-wise and Dark Assembly-wise. The first two are easily my favorites, though; I HATE what they did with ranged skills and upgrading them from Disgaea 3 onwards, since mana is a scarce resourse very early on.

Also, figures? Nice! I've only ever seen 1/7 scale figures of Etna, Flonne, and Rozalin, never the male characters. I've only ever owned the palm-sized figure sets from the series lol
Chiibi

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 10:14 am Reply with quote
kyokun47 wrote:

Also, figures? Nice! I've only ever seen 1/7 scale figures of Etna, Flonne, and Rozalin, never the male characters. I've only ever owned the palm-sized figure sets from the series lol

Yeah, my Laharls and Adel are pretty small. Anime hyper (2 inches, maybe?) I'm really mad Flonne and Etna got Nendoroid releases but Best Demon Boy didn't. Twisted Evil He's popular enough, even with male gamers; don't tell me he wouldn't sell!

Edit

Pics of my stash for anyone who wants to see Anime hyper

I love this lil sticker. Anime hyperALSO TRUTH.
THIS MUG. I don't even drink coffee. BUT THIS MUG.
The small trading figures...sooooo cute. The left Laharl is really well done for his size; it's straight out of Harada's artbook.
This is a guide/artbook of the first game
Another artbook
I really recommend THIS book for best art collection Harada has put out and as you can see, includes material from ALL the games. It's also really thick.
Then this my best fanart. It sells pretty well at cons. lolI would like to put it on a shirt. Anime hyper

I've cosplayed as Flonne as well (fallen angel) but I haven't perfected it yet so NO PICS. I'm just really particular.....:p (and yes, I'mma girl)
kyokun47

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 6:01 pm Reply with quote
Chiibi wrote:
kyokun47 wrote:

Yeah, my Laharls and Adel are pretty small. Anime hyper (2 inches, maybe?) I'm really mad Flonne and Etna got Nendoroid releases but Best Demon Boy didn't. Twisted Evil He's popular enough, even with male gamers; don't tell me he wouldn't sell!

Edit

Pics of my stash for anyone who wants to see Anime hyper

I love this lil sticker. Anime hyperALSO TRUTH.
THIS MUG. I don't even drink coffee. BUT THIS MUG.
The small trading figures...sooooo cute. The left Laharl is really well done for his size; it's straight out of Harada's artbook.
This is a guide/artbook of the first game
Another artbook
I really recommend THIS book for best art collection Harada has put out and as you can see, includes material from ALL the games. It's also really thick.
Then this my best fanart. It sells pretty well at cons. lolI would like to put it on a shirt. Anime hyper

I've cosplayed as Flonne as well (fallen angel) but I haven't perfected it yet so NO PICS. I'm just really particular.....:p (and yes, I'mma girl)

Wow, nice spread! I own the artbooks as well, but not the guidebook. I know english versions were published for Disgaea 1 and 2. The nendoroids, though, I've wanted for SO LONG omg
Chiibi

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 9:26 pm Reply with quote
Thanks, kyo. :3

YEARS of collecting. xD I can't even remember when I bought the figures....2006 maybe? I got into the franchise because of the anime (yes yes, I know everyone hates it lol) but I thought it was cute and was just enamored with the characters and their designs and personalities.

There is another artbook out too, I think. I want to pick it up at the next con I'm going to if they carry it. But my budget's tight and I can predict all the money I do spend is going to be on Angels of Death goods. Anime hyper (another awesome game-originated franchise) so it may have to wait. :/

Nendoroids are so frustrating to find once they've been released several years ago. Your best bet is ebay. But expect to pay a lot. I paid a ridiculous amount for my Saber....but no regrets. Anime hyper
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1