• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Senran Kagura Shinovi Master Anime's English Dub Cast Announced

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Punch Drunk Marc

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2018 4:18 pm Reply with quote
I wonder why Felicia Angelle didn't reprise her role as Asuka
Teraman

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2018 4:45 pm Reply with quote
Punch Drunk Marc wrote:

Just to be clear, are we playing the "pretend obvious pseudonym is a different person" game? Because if so I would like to say that they totally should have gotten Tia Ballard to voice Ryona.
TheMorry

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2018 5:35 pm Reply with quote
Punch Drunk Marc wrote:
perhaps its an alternative name?
SquadmemberRitsu

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2018 6:14 pm Reply with quote
I do wonder why they’re using pseudonyms, especially people who’ve beeen in plenty of explicitly sexy shows already and, to my knowledge, aren’t in a union.
Punch Drunk Marc

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2018 6:18 pm Reply with quote
TheMorry wrote:
Punch Drunk Marc wrote:
perhaps its an alternative name?

Kinda sounds like it after having watched the episode, but I just find it weird that she chose to use one here when she didn't in the first season. I mean SK is built on fanservice, but it's not like its DxD levels (where she also used her real name).
Takkun4343

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2018 7:02 pm Reply with quote
Maybe because this season has bare nipples, she's playing it safe with one?
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2018 10:13 pm Reply with quote
Even thought its not that difficult to tell who these people are, I love fanservice show pseudonyms
Greed1914

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2018 11:27 am Reply with quote
Teraman wrote:
Punch Drunk Marc wrote:

Just to be clear, are we playing the "pretend obvious pseudonym is a different person" game? Because if so I would like to say that they totally should have gotten Tia Ballard to voice Ryona.

That is what is happening. It's still the same voices, and "Maya Maxwell," who sounded a lot like Felecia to me at the time, first showed up in a role in Conception. "Cecilia Higginbotham's" only other credit was in Valkyrie Drive Mermaid, and that was pretty clearly Tia Ballard. It seems kind of pointless to reprise a role under another name, especially one that was used before, since it all but tells people who it really is. I suppose the fact that this season has bare boobs in it was a factor, though.
Punch Drunk Marc

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2018 3:35 pm Reply with quote
Greed1914 wrote:
Teraman wrote:
Punch Drunk Marc wrote:

That is what is happening. It's still the same voices, and "Maya Maxwell," who sounded a lot like Felecia to me at the time, first showed up in a role in Conception. "Cecilia Higginbotham's" only other credit was in Valkyrie Drive Mermaid, and that was pretty clearly Tia Ballard. It seems kind of pointless to reprise a role under another name, especially one that was used before, since it all but tells people who it really is. I suppose the fact that this season has bare boobs in it was a factor, though.

Yeah but the funny thing about it is that both used their real names in DxD and that had bare boobs every other scene.
lycopene

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2018 4:32 pm Reply with quote
Certain things may have happened in their lives that we dont know about that may necessitate the use of an alias. VAs do many things, so it could be any number of possibilities that didn't exist for prior roles. Whatever the reason is, its their decision and none of our business.
Punch Drunk Marc

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2018 8:49 pm Reply with quote
lycopene wrote:
Certain things may have happened in their lives that we dont know about that may necessitate the use of an alias. VAs do many things, so it could be any number of possibilities that didn't exist for prior roles. Whatever the reason is, its their decision and none of our business.

No one said it wasn't and in the grand scheme we don't really care. I just find it kind of funny.
MesousaGaby

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2018 10:10 pm Reply with quote
Oh yeah...I think the reason why Felicia Angelle is alias'd in this is rather simple: the first Senran Kagura anime didn't have nipples on-screen, but this one does.

...Which honestly is a pretty cowardly move, if you ask me. If it's through the new voice actors joining this season, then yeah, I can kinda understand, but...for a role you already reprised?

Pretty disgraceful if you ask me. If it's a more sexually involved role, yeah, but...this is just a silly franchise.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1