• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: BPO Watchdog Group Discusses Goblin Slayer Content Controversy

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
#HayamiLover

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2018 4:13 pm Reply with quote
Are we talking about the Japanese moral guardians? Lol, I'm already used to the fact that most of the criticism comes from the American media, and not any Japanese. So, I am very surprised that in Japan there is someone who criticizes titles in general from a moral point of view.
Ialdaboth

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2018 4:22 pm Reply with quote
Gotta push that narrative on the US side.

Somewhere, right now, someone is already hard at work on an univ paper about racized fictional races in fantasy fiction.
Hellsoldier

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2018 4:32 pm Reply with quote
#HayamiLover wrote:
Are we talking about the Japanese moral guardians? Lol, I'm already used to the fact that most of the criticism comes from the American media, and not any Japanese. So, I am very surprised that in Japan there is someone who criticizes titles in general from a moral point of view.

Huh, you never heard of the BPO? You surely don't think there are no moralists in Japan, do you?

But the veridict is apt: Goblin Slayer is a late-night show, it is more than allowed to be violent. For one thing, the sexual violence people keep alluding to is NEVER portrayed in a positive light.
#HayamiLover

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2018 4:44 pm Reply with quote
@Hellsoldier Oh, I have heard a lot about Japanese morality. But it seems that I am too used to the American media, which consider half of the anime "problematic". Russian anime media are also often boring, but for other reasons.
encrypted12345

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2018 4:57 pm Reply with quote
#HayamiLover wrote:

Well, they seem more than reasonable in comparison to Western moral guardians and some anime youtubers. Granted, half of the controversy is because Crunchyroll didn't rate it properly, but some people seem to over-exaggerate how offensive the scene is while the BPO's opinion seems to be "Not too unusual for a late night show". Though the fact that they seem to be okay with late night goblin rape but not a daytime romantic drama between a junior high school student (about 12-15 years of age IIRC) and her teacher is somewhat amusing.
#HayamiLover

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2018 6:08 pm Reply with quote
encrypted12345 wrote:
[Well, they seem more than reasonable in comparison to Western moral guardians and some anime youtubers. Granted, half of the controversy is because Crunchyroll didn't rate it properly, but some people seem to over-exaggerate how offensive the scene is while the BPO's opinion seems to be "Not too unusual for a late night show". Though the fact that they seem to be okay with late night goblin rape but not a daytime romantic drama between a junior high school student (about 12-15 years of age IIRC) and her teacher is somewhat amusing.

Lol, in Russia, 90% of people are perfectly fine with the idea of ​​yuri lolicon, for "Wow, this girl is Russian and there are a lot of Russian cultural references here, cool!". And this is in a country where children sex education is often called "corruption".

But if without jokes, as I understand it, the conditionally realistic story was considered more "dangerous" than the dark fantasy, where people are attacked by bloodthirsty monsters. At the very least, this explains why the Japanese moral guardians ignored the futuristic Mahouka, but officially investigated Yosuga no Sora.
teferi

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2018 6:26 pm Reply with quote
#HayamiLover wrote:
@Hellsoldier Oh, I have heard a lot about Japanese morality. But it seems that I am too used to the American media, which consider half of the anime "problematic". Russian anime media are also often boring, but for other reasons.

Most American media doesn't care about anime at all. About the most you'll ever see outside of niche sites like ANN is a few blurbs about Pokemon and Ghibli films every blue moon.
S0crates

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2018 6:46 pm Reply with quote
teferi wrote:

Most American media doesn't care about anime at all. About the most you'll ever see outside of niche sites like ANN is a few blurbs about Pokemon and Ghibli films every blue moon.

I don't know about that. If Crunchyroll was correct about having 2 million paying subscribers and 40 million active users, then that beats the waste majority of sitcom series by a large margin if 50% of those ended up watching the same series.

Of course, American media didn't care about esports either despite its in country viewership rivaling everything called traditional sports. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BMZ2QFLrLvk
Lord Dcast

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2018 8:49 pm Reply with quote
Not these dirtbags again...they've been at it for ages, and nothing ever comes from it.

Look, I don't like Goblin Slayer; AT ALL. But that doesn't mean I think it should be taken off the air.

If I remember correctly, they've done the same for Zankyou no Terror and a bunch of other shows right?
jdnation

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2018 8:58 pm Reply with quote
Lord Dcast wrote:
Not these dirtbags again...they've been at it for ages, and nothing ever comes from it.

Look, I don't like Goblin Slayer; AT ALL. But that doesn't mean I think it should be taken off the air.

If I remember correctly, they've done the same for Zankyou no Terror and a bunch of other shows right?

I think you're jumping the gun here on what the BPO is all about.

It's fine to have a general watchdog group.

And as we've seen they've been perfectly reasonable with replying to audience complaints about Goblin Slayer.
MagusGuardian

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2018 9:16 pm Reply with quote
Ok so I can understand where the BPO is coming from but when it comes to complaints from people bitching in the states, So whatever the hell happened to "Don't Watch it if you don't like it"? Seriously it just seems more and more people get on a high horse to bitch their heads off nonstop because they're offended by something. What next they're gonna go start bitching about Beserk? Hellsing? Hellsing Ultimate? Elfin Lied? Ffs some people just have too much damn time on their hands and think it's perfectly fine to go around and ruin other peoples time, hobbies, or what have you just to make other's just as miserable as they are.
macloud

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2018 10:01 pm Reply with quote
And meanwhile he creators of goblin slayer are rubbbing their hands with glee over all the free advertising they're getting right now.

Seriously they knew this would happen - that was the whole point of the 1st episode [and the 2 part manga episode its based on] - get people riled up about the graphic scenes of that section then - BAM! - bait and switch into a more.... "acceptable" level of violence.
JustStopPlz

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2018 10:34 pm Reply with quote
Lord Dcast wrote:

I love when someone makes it obvious that they didn't even read the article but felt the need to comment anyway based on what they assumed the article was going to say.

Quote:
the committee responded that they felt adequate consideration went into how the scene was depicted and that they believe it falls within an acceptable range for what is aired in a late night time slot.
TexZero

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2018 12:00 am Reply with quote
macloud wrote:
And meanwhile he creators of goblin slayer are rubbbing their hands with glee over all the free advertising they're getting right now.

Seriously they knew this would happen - that was the whole point of the 1st episode [and the 2 part manga episode its based on] - get people riled up about the graphic scenes of that section then - BAM! - bait and switch into a more.... "acceptable" level of violence.

It's almost like the writer understood how to evoke raw emotion in people just to showcase that they are not unlike Goblin Slayer in their irrational behaviors in times of mental shortcomings or something....
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2018 2:00 am Reply with quote
Curious thing about the light novels and manga: would outright omitting the implication of rape and sexual assault lessen the dark and violent essence of the series?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2