• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: TMS Launches 2 U.S. Anime Streaming Channels

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2018 3:50 pm Reply with quote
Slim pickings for a whole new platform, surely. Given recent fragmentations within the streaming market and viewers' consequent hesitation to commit to any payments, I imagine TMS plan to rely solely on advertising revenue for the time being.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Lizuka

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2018 6:54 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, this doesn't at all sound worth bothering with. I'm mostly a dub guy anyway (it's mostly just easier to multitask with) but even getting past that this is just a pitiful selection, especially given of eight shows one of them doesn't even have subtitles.
SilverCrono

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2018 8:15 pm Reply with quote
>God Mars

LMFAOOOOOOOO

In a year (if that) this'll be a dead platform. Calling it.
jrockfreak

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2018 9:37 am Reply with quote
I downloaded that recently on my roku, it is slim so far but it was free so i figured why not
belvadeer

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2018 10:40 am Reply with quote
Sherlock Hound was meant to be in English anyway. It has a very good dub for its time and you'll get to hear how Hamilton Camp came up with a different voice for all those side characters. I recommend Monster Rancher dubbed too, as Genki sounds rather annoying in Japanese.
Haterater

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2018 12:44 pm Reply with quote
I second the Sherlock Hound dub. Nicely done.
belvadeer

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2018 1:54 pm Reply with quote
Haterater wrote:
I second the Sherlock Hound dub. Nicely done.

Thank you. Larry Moss was such a great voice for Hound, it's a shame he hasn't been called upon for more roles in other productions. His last known role was in Happy Feet.

Lewis Arquette was a perfect fit for Dr. Watson and Inspector Lestrade. R.I.P. to such a great voice actor.
Chichiryuutei

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2018 10:48 am Reply with quote
So this failed before it even launches.

How can you release a channel to an overseas market in sub format only? People put up with Crunchyroll because it's fast with their simulcast lineup but if you give any non-Japanese speaker the option of sub/dub at the same time (or relative) the dubs would crush it.

No real marketing insights at all.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1