• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: New Fruits Basket Anime's 1st English-Subtitled Trailer Previews Manaka Iwami as Tohru

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zeino

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2018 7:10 am Reply with quote
I'm sure Manaka Iwami as Tohru will grow on me in time but she sounds a bit too artificially sweet and high-pitched here compared to what Yui Horie and Laura Bailey did before.
Saku-dono

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2018 7:49 am Reply with quote
Felt wrong... Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad
But good luck, Iwami-san!

Does anybody know the format of the adaptation? Like how many cours it'll ran?
Aquasakura

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2018 7:55 am Reply with quote
^ I do not know at the moment. I do not thin k it has been reveal how many seasons this adaptation is going to get.

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

The visuals look like they are coming along fine so far, and the character designs seem to look a bit better then the ones use in the original anime adaptation (particularly Tohru as I like that her eyes do not seem quite as big as before)/
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Manga
Ggultra2764
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2018 8:01 am Reply with quote
Like I what I seen of the trailer. Iwami had the right balance of sweetness to her voice without it getting too overboard, the visuals look more polished than the 2001 anime, and some hints to later story elements from the manga were dropped. If the anime strikes the right chords, this could be one of next year's best anime.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
rizuchan
Collector Extraordinaire

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2018 10:01 am Reply with quote
I'm having a hard time remembering what Horie Yui sounded like as Tohru, but Iwami sounds perfect here to me.

I'm also really digging the new character designs. One thing that always really bugged me about Fruits Basket was how... weird Yuki looked, while everyone called him attractive and pretty, but I think his new design is much better. Kyo is looking pretty fine too...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Takizawa-Shinzou

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2018 10:09 am Reply with quote
Aquasakura wrote:
^ I do not know at the moment. I do not thin k it has been reveal how many seasons this adaptation is going to get.

Everything so far is saying one season. Did you mean how many COURS it's going to get? We can probably guess based on how long the manga is.

----

I wanted to be excited and give the new cast a chance but this trailer did not give me much hope. Her voice is just way too high compared to what Yui Horie did
pirateaddict
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2018 10:20 am Reply with quote
I'm loving the new character designs, this needs to be all new and I can't wait to find out the who the English speaking VA's are going to be. Alot of talent at Funimation so it should be good. I enjoyed the original but as the mangaka has already said she wants it to be all new so I'm excited to see the finished result.
XSp

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2018 11:03 am Reply with quote
It's looking pretty good, and way closer to the first anime than I was expecting...

I guess people will have to watch both to compare, but all in all, character designs, VA and even promotional material is looking pretty close to the original even though the author wanted everything new and stuff.
It looks closer than reworks like Full Metal Alchemist, Hunter x Hunter or Kanon.
I'm just a bit worried about the music... it's just one of those animes that the music was a very strong component of building atmosphere and all, and was very unique too.

One way or the other, I'm just glad it's being brought back for younger generations.
Raebo101

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2018 11:55 am Reply with quote
pirateaddict wrote:
I can't wait to find out the who the English speaking VA's are going to be. Alot of talent at Funimation so it should be good

Same. I wonder if FUNi is gonna recast everyone like the Japanese version or have their original actors reprise their roles (probably the latter). If they can't get Laura Bailey to return, like a lot of people are hoping, I think Jill Harris would be perfect for Tohru; at times she sounds a lot like Laura Bailey and she'd be a great fit for the character in general.
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2018 12:40 pm Reply with quote
I never read the manga but watched the first anime show. I liked the premise but lamented that the first anime did not cover the whole story. I look forward to this new adaptation and hope that it satisfies the fans of the manga.
milkyy

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2018 3:40 pm Reply with quote
Welp, I'm crying!!!
TsukasaElkKite

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2018 10:18 pm Reply with quote
I’m trying to keep my hype in check.
Alexis.Anagram

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2018 10:50 pm Reply with quote
Well, that shook me up a bit. I really like the way it looks so far, the scenes seem to call back to both the original anime and the manga in just the right way, yet there's also this fresh energy to everything. Manaka Iwami sounds fine to me, of course it's hard to compete with Yui, but that just means she has her work cut out for her. So good luck to our new Tohru!

I think it'll be hard to watch the first few episodes without comparing it to the original, and a lot depends on those heavy hitting arcs in the early goings, but once it gets deeper into the material and finds its footing the strength of the story should carry it.

Just, please get the Hatori episode right. It's such an important turning point in terms of defining the dramatic tone of the series. Do not FMA Brotherhood that shit.

#815349 wrote:

I'm just a bit worried about the music... it's just one of those animes that the music was a very strong component of building atmosphere and all, and was very unique too.

Same. The piece they used for this trailer was not bad, which gives me hope, but it's going to be really hard not to hear certain melodies and arrangements linked to these characters and scenes after watching them over and over again. Hopefully they'll be able to recreate that connection with this new production.

That said, the original anime did leave a lot of room for improvement, so I'm excited to see how this goes. I'll be aiming to judge it on its own merits.
Bumblerumble

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2018 11:34 pm Reply with quote
Shigure looks so handsome!
I'll miss his balancing soft nature but we will be given a new forbidden romance to enjoy!
We also missed out of all the other characters in the first run.
Let the banquet begin!
This is a moment none of us expected.
Its a real thrill.
Fenrin

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2018 6:31 am Reply with quote
I think this is the first anime where I'm actually anticipating the dub. I watched the original Fruits Basket anime dubbed and it just seems...right to watch it dubbed again.
However I did like how soft Iwami's voice is here.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2