• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: British Police Develop 'Psycho-Pass' AI to Predict Crimes Before They Happen

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
encrypted12345

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2018 5:52 pm Reply with quote
I don't think we should use AI to predict criminality when Steam can't even give recommended games that make sense.
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2018 5:53 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Although the police will work with the UK's data watchdog, the Information Commissioner's Office, to ensure that the NDAS meets privacy regulations...

Our government watchdogs tend to resemble chihuahuas more than rottweilers, it should be said.
(And regarding matters related to computing, they are trained to gratify their technophobic masters above anything else.)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
harminia

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2018 6:03 pm Reply with quote
ughhh minority report
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2018 6:24 pm Reply with quote
Life should not resemble an episode of Black Mirror. Or Minority Report.
Crabtree1

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2018 6:34 pm Reply with quote
I KNEW something like this was going to happen eventually! Please rename it the Sybil System, please!

Now if the UK government could give english and welsh police this to every officer they might be more useful Rolling Eyes
zunderdog24

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2018 6:36 pm Reply with quote
Whats wrong with offering some support to people that have a high chance of commiting a crime. Theres also a good chance that incarceration rate will drop.
Kyo Hisagi

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2018 7:27 pm Reply with quote
If it won't be named Anime Crimes Division, I'm not interested
Sobe

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2018 8:32 pm Reply with quote
zunderdog24 wrote:
Whats wrong with offering some support to people that have a high chance of commiting a crime. Theres also a good chance that incarceration rate will drop.

It's not so much of a question of what is morally wrong or correct with offering support but the fact that they plan to intervene when nothing occurred in the first place. It's probably the same issue the Minority Report brought up (I wouldn't know; never saw it) but if no one intervened, that doesn't automatically mean the crime was guaranteed to be committed in the first place anyway.

It's like sending someone, one who has never committed a crime, to a mental asylum just because they think about death and/or committing murder every second they're alive.

There's also a good chance the AI and the choices made from it will do more harm than good. Offering support isn't always the answer; Sometimes people have to learn on their own how to stand on their own two legs without support in order to really be saved. Who's to say the support that is offered based on the AI isn't worse than the support offered by someone or something else? There's always more than one answer but that doesn't mean all of those answers are the best. And best for who? Everyone but the future suspect? Only a few people at the cost of a majority?
Puniyo

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2018 8:47 pm Reply with quote
Sobe wrote:
zunderdog24 wrote:

It's not so much of a question of what is morally wrong or correct with offering support but the fact that they plan to intervene when nothing occurred in the first place. It's probably the same issue the Minority Report brought up (I wouldn't know; never saw it) but if no one intervened, that doesn't automatically mean the crime was guaranteed to be committed in the first place anyway.

It's like sending someone, one who has never committed a crime, to a mental asylum just because they think about death and/or committing murder every second they're alive.

There's also a good chance the AI and the choices made from it will do more harm than good. Offering support isn't always the answer; Sometimes people have to learn on their own how to stand on their own two legs without support in order to really be saved. Who's to say the support that is offered based on the AI isn't worse than the support offered by someone or something else? There's always more than one answer but that doesn't mean all of those answers are the best. And best for who? Everyone but the future suspect? Only a few people at the cost of a majority?

True, but a great number of crimes are totally preventable and the police's reluctance to do anything until someone gets hurt is a big factor in it. Even if this isn't the right way to go about it, the police definitely need to be more proactive, but the constant cuts in funding don't allow them to do so.
CatSword

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2018 8:55 pm Reply with quote
zunderdog24 wrote:

The problem with "offering some support" is that the A.I. system won't be perfect. Perfectly normal people will be flagged and accused of having urges to commit heinous crimes. There will be more than a few stories of innocent people sobbing as the police terrorize them and ask them why they want to shoot up the local animal shelter.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Agent355

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2018 9:34 pm Reply with quote
zunderdog24 wrote:

As the article points out, people are already more likely to be arrested based on factors like poverty and race rather than whether they are actually more likely to commit a crime. Cutting funds to social programs and police services in general and focusing only on people perceived to be more likely to commit crimes based on flawed AI is probably not a good idea, besides being generally creepy and susceptible to human rights abuses.
kotomikun

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2018 9:43 pm Reply with quote
Puniyo wrote:
True, but a great number of crimes are totally preventable and the police's reluctance to do anything until someone gets hurt is a big factor in it. Even if this isn't the right way to go about it

...well, that's the issue. This isn't the right way to go about it. There's a persistent belief that "crime" is caused by evil forces separate from normal society, and the only solution is to go after the bad people who do crimes and punish them. The police may claim they want to help these pre-crime suspects, but in practice this system will be ripe for abuse, just like the rest of our justice system.

Actual lasting crime reduction can only come about through structural changes to our society and culture that cut down on poverty, racism, and other factors that push people into situations where they're likely to resort to robbery or violence. Which has happened, to some degree, but we have a long way to go, and dystopian thoughtcrime technologies would only make the situation worse.
Weazul-chan

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2018 10:04 pm Reply with quote
obviously no decent science fiction fans were involved with this, otherwise it would have been scrapped as a bad idea given they'd know from reading/watching sci-fi with things like this just how wrong it can potentially go and its potential to be taken to harmfully extreme, ends-justify-the-means, levels.
v1cious

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2018 12:06 am Reply with quote
No surprise really, we've been headed in this direction for awhile. You only need to look at what's happening in China now to see the endgame: https://twitter.com/Psythor/status/1056811593177227264

Welcome to the future.
WANNFH

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2018 12:16 am Reply with quote
British, you say? You gonna bet that this system going to be biased for the person nationality being more risk factor more than actual facts about being criminal. And of course, it will be more imperfect so it will determine the harmless or joke message on the social network to the level of a real threat to the life. And of course - it will not help even a bit to prevent the actual crimes, despite all the costs.

Because hey, that's the actual British way. Very Happy
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2