• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
GAME: Super Smash Bros. Ultimate

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2018 11:19 am Reply with quote
Alright alright alright, I have to ask this, my apologizes if it'll be a weird question:

What's the big deal with Waluigi anyway?

From I've heard they say he's wanted because of "memes." Uh, I fail to see the point.

Last edited by #859141 on Tue Dec 11, 2018 12:00 pm; edited 2 times in total
belvadeer

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2018 11:46 am Reply with quote
World of Light is just nothing but combat though. They could have made it more interesting by adding things like platforming segments or something. Also, despite the offering of three different difficulty modes for the grand adventure, Easy is not an accurate moniker at all; too many of the four star battles are just too difficult for this mode and they're far too demanding of the player. They require you to have some insane reflexes to dodge and counter, as well as the right spirits (though even equipping a maxed out one does nothing to change the odds). Since recruiting every character and fully completing every area is required for 100% completion, it can get tedious and dull relatively early.

Unlocking fighters during standard Smash is also quite the challenge. Many of them are set to Level 9 CPU difficulty, and unlike Smash 64 or Brawl, they really play for keeps. I can tell you Ridley and King Dedede are not pleasant unlocking matches, and you will lose many times before you manage to find a character and method that works. People will likely tell you the annoying adage of "get good" when you ask for some help, but this is one case where it applies; you can't half-ass these fights.

Overall, Smash Ultimate is great with plenty to do and things to unlock, and it's definitely worth playing. I only wish the difficulty could be balanced out as the AI seems to be outright superhuman at times.
Aca Vuksa

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2018 11:55 am Reply with quote
This is really informative, thank for an amazing review. Also, it pretty nice to have some stories where many of the SSBU casts gets captured by an evil pure monsters and Kirby is left behind and is up to the rescue to those who we're captued and enslaved. Also Kirby had to deal with the Doppleganger of SSBU casts.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2018 11:59 am Reply with quote
belvadeer wrote:
World of Light is just nothing but combat though. They could have made it more interesting by adding things like platforming segments or something. Also, despite the offering of three different difficulty modes for the grand adventure, Easy is not an accurate moniker at all; too many of the four star battles are just too difficult for this mode and they're far too demanding of the player. They require you to have some insane reflexes to dodge and counter, as well as the right spirits (though even equipping a maxed out one does nothing to change the odds). Since recruiting every character and fully completing every area is required for 100% completion, it can get tedious and dull relatively early.

Unlocking fighters during standard Smash is also quite the challenge. Many of them are set to Level 9 CPU difficulty, and unlike Smash 64 or Brawl, they really play for keeps. I can tell you Ridley and King Dedede are not pleasant unlocking matches, and you will lose many times before you manage to find a character and method that works. People will likely tell you the annoying adage of "get good" when you ask for some help, but this is one case where it applies; you can't half-ass these fights.

Overall, Smash Ultimate is great with plenty to do and things to unlock, and it's definitely worth playing. I only wish the difficulty could be balanced out as the AI seems to be outright superhuman at times.

I'm a complete newbie to smash, never managed to play any previous titles and got the guts to finally join the fun with Ultimate right in its release day!
I understand what you are going with that, indeed the game can be challenging for new fans like me but actually I'm glad it didn't sugar cake on me. I did lost several times to a challenge to unlock most characters and you know what? It feels real rewarding when finally manage to do it!

And I'm enjoying World of Light exactly for pushing me to work harder and try everything and everyone! I'm slowly learning to grasp the basics and after some online battles I did manage to win one today!
I don't fight for glory, just for fun even if I keep losing (I just want to give some fight) but it felt nice to win after so much effort to improve myself!
Megiddo

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2018 12:12 pm Reply with quote
Not playing the game but have been watching various Twitch streams and my goodness the online multiplayer is almost hilariously incompetent. You simply cannot queue a quickmatch for a 1v1 battle so you may end up in a 4 player free-for-all instead of a 1v1 match and If your preferences are set to no items there's a chance you'll be playing a match with items. And with how much money Nintendo is going to make you'd think they could have some dedicated servers instead of relying on a peer-to-peer connection that can be so much more laggy than the alternative. Guess Nintendo just wanted to pocket that $20 yearly online service fee and not even bother to improve online functionality in their games.
Stuart Smith

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2018 2:41 pm Reply with quote
#859141 wrote:
Alright alright alright, I have to ask this, my apologizes if it'll be a weird question:

What's the big deal with Waluigi anyway?

From I've heard they say he's wanted because of "memes." Uh, I fail to see the point.

It's mostly memes, same with "Sans Undertale" and other out-of-left-field characters. Granted, Wario is in it, but he has starred in numerous games of his own, while Waluigi has only appeared in sports games. I wouldn't be opposed to Waluigi being in it, but it's become a joke over the years, similar to Ridley, who actually did make it in.

Megiddo wrote:
Not playing the game but have been watching various Twitch streams and my goodness the online multiplayer is almost hilariously incompetent. You simply cannot queue a quickmatch for a 1v1 battle so you may end up in a 4 player free-for-all instead of a 1v1 match and If your preferences are set to no items there's a chance you'll be playing a match with items. And with how much money Nintendo is going to make you'd think they could have some dedicated servers instead of relying on a peer-to-peer connection that can be so much more laggy than the alternative. Guess Nintendo just wanted to pocket that $20 yearly online service fee and not even bother to improve online functionality in their games.

That's really just a cultural thing. Japan doesn't treat Smash as a competitive fighting game. Even ARMs has a bigger competitive scene in Japan than Smash does. Sakurai throws western competitive players a few bones, like Omega versions of stages, but I'm not sure they'd really deviate from how Smash is supposed to be played with a "1v1, no items, Fox only, Final Destination" mode just so a few Americans can use it.

-Stuart Smith
LightningCount

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2018 3:04 pm Reply with quote
Good review! At the end of the day, it does seem like a much more complete package than Smash for Wii U, but...

belvadeer wrote:
World of Light is just nothing but combat though. They could have made it more interesting by adding things like platforming segments or something.

From everything I've seen, this is probably my only real issue with the game. World of Light's map seems like such a great opportunity for "Break the Targets," "Board the Platforms," and Melee-era mini-platforming action stages. For me, having started with Smash 64, those kinds of things were just as much Smash Bros. as anything else. The competitiveness that's grown over Smash since the original has sapped some of the fun out of it.

Well...I could bellyache that Bomberman was made into an Assist Trophy, too, but getting Simon and Richter makes up for that. I don't think a lot of people realize how big of a deal that was in terms of the history of Nintendo and video games: https://agoplus.wordpress.com/2018/10/26/smashing-directly-into-history-why-castlevanias-crossover-with-nintendo-matters/
wolf10

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2018 3:25 pm Reply with quote
I'm going to assume that the complaints about World of Light are based on the early portions. The latter half gives way to some impressive themed areas with much larger puzzles and a lot of neat surprises (I actually cried when I made it to spoiler[a side-perspective reproduction of Dracula's Castle from the original NES Castlevania]). There's even a quiz!
Kicksville

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2018 3:27 pm Reply with quote
Stuart Smith wrote:
That's really just a cultural thing. Japan doesn't treat Smash as a competitive fighting game. Even ARMs has a bigger competitive scene in Japan than Smash does. Sakurai throws western competitive players a few bones, like Omega versions of stages, but I'm not sure they'd really deviate from how Smash is supposed to be played with a "1v1, no items, Fox only, Final Destination" mode just so a few Americans can use it.

It doesn't come off as a good excuse when the last iteration actually had some kind of solution to it (separate For Fun/For Glory queues). I'm not a super serious player myself, but I don't think it's wrong to find it strange they would throw as many bones as they have, then neglect and even outright reverse fairly simple changes that addressed that stuff already.
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2018 4:19 pm Reply with quote
I really wish they would have had something like Subspace Emissary, or at least Adventure Mode from Melee. World of Light is just Even Match with a bored selection. I know not everyone liked Subspace Emissary, but it was not mandatory to play in order to unlock all stages and characters,and I had so much fun playing it.
Yune Amagiri

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2018 10:23 pm Reply with quote
Regarding the gameplay i've not much to complain to, in this regard Ultimate is most likely the best among the 5 Smash for me. I have to admit that while i enjoyed it, i was expecting something else when they announced World of Light, it was really repetitive but i still enjoyed it more than The Subspace Emissary, though it can be really frustrating if your main character comes rather late in the adventure, as a Corrin main i had to hold back my tears, it took around 15h for a 100% completion which i considere correct, more would have been too much, repetitiveness was starting to get heavy toward the end, If i had to point some issue, it would be the online side, expect a lot of lag and freeze during most your battles, we can blame the fact that the game is still young which means that it's bound to have a high number of players online for weeks, Nintendo's past with lag issue speaks volumes in this regard so i'm afraid that this problem isn't gonna stop, as someone who mainly play it online, my entire thought about the game could change for the worst if not resolved ... Please Nintendo now that we are paying for the online, you ought to make it irreproachable, there is nothing worst than delayed input in a game as nervous as smash.
Characters balancing is better than previous games, beside 3 currently broken characters which are bond to be nerfs the others seem to be finely adjusted, some good buff and nerf have been made, i can't even remember being glad when facing a Bayonetta or Fox and crying before Pichu in the past, tournament will confirm that though.
Showsni

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2018 9:27 am Reply with quote
Is it just me, or does World of Light have a pretty big plothole in it? Kirby was never captured, which means there shouldn't be any evil clone Kirbys - and yet they are all over the place!
MarkyMarc413

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2018 1:58 pm Reply with quote
No mention of Classic Mode at all?! That's been the mode I've played the most in my time with the game so far, using it to learn fighters moves and unlock new ones. It's a blast seeing what kind of themed battle-runs each fighter goes through, and some of them are fairly challenging! The bosses at the end of each run are particularly hard in higher settings, but enjoyable to defeat!

-Marc.
belvadeer

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2018 4:54 pm Reply with quote
Showsni wrote:
Is it just me, or does World of Light have a pretty big plothole in it? Kirby was never captured, which means there shouldn't be any evil clone Kirbys - and yet they are all over the place!

A very valid point. Guess Sakurai didn't want Kirby to be the only one who would have no evil clones anywhere. Everyone's clones deserve to be smacked around equally.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1