• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Funimation President: 'We Tried to Renew Deal with Crunchyroll'

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Morry

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2018 3:58 pm Reply with quote
These sorts of ultimatums are par for the course in business, but it's still sad to see Funi and Crunchy divorce.
kiminobokuwa

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2018 3:59 pm Reply with quote
He isn't wrong on the Hulu deal. There is A TON more anime on Hulu and plus it's not only exclusive for anime fans. They have a lot more broadcasted shows on here which is very nice. The down side to this is that whenever there is a new season of the show, Hulu removes the past seasons and then would reupload the past season along with the latest season a couple of weeks or months later. Which hurts because people love to binge. However, I would love to hear Crunchyroll's side to this. Also this president of Funimation has been talking a lot these past few days.
Яeverse

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2018 4:12 pm Reply with quote
Funi getting both Hulu and Sony money, looks like Funi emerged as the big winner in this thing (+ Funi anime still does end up netflix, unlike CR animes) while CR get get Sentai money which has never really been tied to any big hitting anime in the past while.

Guess CR wanted to maintain its monopolistic hold on the int'l streaming front, a new area of money considering how NFLX always touts int'l numbers these days.

With global minded sony, I can only hope this means Funi will hurry and open the gates to their streaming to non UK, non USA countries, which would actually be another winning move.
TheMorry

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2018 4:14 pm Reply with quote
So winter is still mostly under the partnetship deal? Perhaps Mob Psycho 100 II, The Rising of the Shield Hero, Fukigen na Mononokean 2nd Season might get a simul dub afterall. Was the first episode of The Rising of the Shield Hero not already screened at a convention dubbed or so? thought i saw something about that last summer....

It still sucks their parnetship ended. But the moment Sony bought Funimation it was just waiting on when this would happen.

Яeverse wrote:

With global minded sony, I can only hope this means Funi will hurry and open the gates to their streaming to non UK, non USA countries, which would actually be another winning move.
When they start streaming in the Netherlands i straight get subscription. Aint a fan of piracy but I've no choice...
rahzel rose
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2018 4:29 pm Reply with quote
If Funi starts putting their stuff on Hulu, that’ll work out great for me. That way I can cancel my Funi subscription since I already have a Hulu one and then watch their shows on a player that actually works.
curtisd88

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2018 4:31 pm Reply with quote
It's a shame their partnership ended but business wise this decision makes sense. Funi wants to expand globally and Sony is giving them the tech to do that. If Crunchy won't do that then someone else will.
KitKat1721

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2018 4:46 pm Reply with quote
I'm all for Funimation expanding internationally, so if that was the major holdout, then I'm glad they decided to part ways.

I find it interesting that this was a major contribution to ending things, since I think many of us assumed it was the immediate, non-negotiable result of the Sony vs AT&T ownership. Shows how important those international, exclusive rights are for companies.
-SP-

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2018 4:53 pm Reply with quote
Glad they ended the partnership, this new deal seems much better. Crunchyrolls loss.
Koda89

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2018 4:58 pm Reply with quote
I do find it funny that international expansion was apparently the breaking point for the FUNiroll partnership, and yet their new bed buddy is Hulu...a service that literally only works in the US unless you have a VPN. Laughing
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2018 5:12 pm Reply with quote
This could be an unpopular opinion, but I always saw the Crunchyroll-Funimation partnership as an ugly aberration; they are supposed to be competitors. I am very glad that both companies are going they separated ways, and I wish them success.
lossthief
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2018 5:21 pm Reply with quote
Koda89 wrote:
I do find it funny that international expansion was apparently the breaking point for the FUNiroll partnership, and yet their new bed buddy is Hulu...a service that literally only works in the US unless you have a VPN. Laughing

I mean, that kind of serves Funimation's goals perfectly right? They have a partner in the US to bring their library to a wider audience in the territories they're already firmly established, and can focus on expanding to other areas. If CR really did want to keep Funi from expanding to other territories, it makes sense to get a partner where that isn't (for now) a concern
lycopene

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2018 5:22 pm Reply with quote
rahzel rose wrote:
If Funi starts putting their stuff on Hulu, that’ll work out great for me. That way I can cancel my Funi subscription since I already have a Hulu one and then watch their shows on a player that actually works.

You might want to hold on to it. Hulu isnt getting everything, just a small selection of shows. And everything found on hulu will still stay with funi
slimertheghost

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2018 5:23 pm Reply with quote
The only thing I liked, or cared about in this relationship is that Funi was releasing titles for Crunchy on blu ray. Now that the partnership is over I’m concerned about who will do this for Crunchy in the future.

I wonder with Sony backing Funi will Japanese company’s favor them in bidding wars or will it be just a total dollar thing?
Phrunicus

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2018 5:26 pm Reply with quote
slimertheghost wrote:
The only thing I liked, or cared about in this relationship is that Funi was releasing titles for Crunchy on blu ray. Now that the partnership is over I’m concerned about who will do this for Crunchy in the future.

AT&T owns Time Warner now, maybe something there?
rahzel rose
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2018 5:27 pm Reply with quote
lycopene wrote:
rahzel rose wrote:

You might want to hold on to it. Hulu isnt getting everything, just a small selection of shows. And everything found on hulu will still stay with funi

That is why I said “if!” I have no plans to cancel at the moment, but the less I have to use Funi’s apps and website, the better.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4