• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Dragon Ball Super: Broly

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kicksville

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2018 1:15 pm Reply with quote
Admittedly skimming the review here since I'm looking forward to seeing it in January, but it's quite exciting to see the positive buzz for this one. When Broly was announced for this, I was reminded of the by-now old story of how the apparent original Battle of Gods concept sounded a lot like one of the old half length candy movies from the 90's (with Beerus being an evil bad bad guy, "Virus") - and just how different it ended up once Toriyama took it from there (mistaking "Virus" for "Beer", ha!) So basically, "Toriyama actually writes Broly this time" sounded like quite the interesting proposition, and I'm glad to hear it seems he delivers.
GhostD

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2018 2:10 pm Reply with quote
Having seen the movie myself I can say it was a fun ride and it lived up to the hype.
professorwho

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2018 3:17 pm Reply with quote
But is this the smartest anime in years like SAO? That’s the true question...

(It’s a reference. Hopefully someone gets it. And I mean no offense.)
Zeino

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2018 4:48 pm Reply with quote
I expected it would serve as lead-in to another Dragon Ball TV series that will most likely come for the 30th anniversary of the DBZ anime but relived that stands up well on it own merits. And also vindicated that Broly actually is an interesting character now like I predicted Toriyama would remold him into being. (Of course, I'm sure a certain penguin of clockwork prejudices will still complain that this movie sucks nevertheless.) Can't wait to see it myself in another few weeks.
luffypirate

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2018 5:27 pm Reply with quote
I loved it. Very cool ending.
Richard Eisenbeis
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2018 6:31 pm Reply with quote
professorwho wrote:
But is this the smartest anime in years like SAO? That’s the true question...

(It’s a reference. Hopefully someone gets it. And I mean no offense.)

Regrettably, Dragon Ball Super: Broly, was not the smartest anime I've seen in years.

...it was pretty darn entertaining, though.
BlueAlf

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2018 8:06 pm Reply with quote
Wow, a Dragon Ball installment actually getting an A grade from ANN for story? This is surprising!

Richard Eisenbeis wrote:

Regrettably, Dragon Ball Super: Broly, was not the smartest anime I've seen in years.

(Wow. Is this the real Richard Eisenbeis?)
Richard Eisenbeis
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2018 9:11 pm Reply with quote
BlueAlf wrote:
Wow, a Dragon Ball installment actually getting an A grade from ANN for story? This is surprising!

Richard Eisenbeis wrote:

(Wow. Is this the real Richard Eisenbeis?)

(Yup, I decided I should probably stop lurking and start commenting. Been meaning to get around to it for a while.)
crosswithyou

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2018 9:13 pm Reply with quote
I believe the movie premiered in Japan on the 14th, not the 15th.

Watched the advanced screening of this movie at Budoukan last month and it had been many, many years since I watched anything Dragon Ball-related. I've seen visuals of the blue and red hair colors but I have no idea what "form" of Super Saiyan those are. ^^;;

I applaud Shimada Bin for his portrayal of Broly. He and Nozawa, wow... Their throats must be made of steel. Frieza's intended wish for the dragon balls made me laugh. I can totally relate, LoL.
Richard Eisenbeis
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2018 11:28 pm Reply with quote
crosswithyou wrote:
I believe the movie premiered in Japan on the 14th, not the 15th.

Watched the advanced screening of this movie at Budoukan last month and it had been many, many years since I watched anything Dragon Ball-related. I've seen visuals of the blue and red hair colors but I have no idea what "form" of Super Saiyan those are. ^^;;

I applaud Shimada Bin for his portrayal of Broly. He and Nozawa, wow... Their throats must be made of steel. Frieza's intended wish for the dragon balls made me laugh. I can totally relate, LoL.

Yeah, Frieza and Bulma were really fighting it out for the "Most Trivial Use of the Dragon Balls Award."
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2018 12:30 am Reply with quote
crosswithyou wrote:

Richard Eisenbeis wrote:

Yeah, Frieza and Bulma were really fighting it out for the "Most Trivial Use of the Dragon Balls Award."

Now I'm curious.
Romuska
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2018 3:56 pm Reply with quote
I just wish that Toei wasn't releasing this in theaters dub-only. If they had subbed it first they would have gotten that simultaneous release they wanted.
harminia

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2018 7:10 pm Reply with quote
Richard Eisenbeis wrote:

His wish was so great. The dramatic music and camera angles throughout that scene as if it was really important were hilarious.

I haven't seen the whole film yet but what I have was good. Broly is an interesting character, and his budding friendship with Chilai and the old dude who's name I forgot seemed pretty sweet
gridsleep

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2018 8:12 am Reply with quote
Do these people know that 'broly' (or, rather, brolly) is an English euphemism for umbrella? Add it to the list of other Japanese nonsense names like Celica, Sentra, and Camry.
revolutionotaku

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2019 11:42 am Reply with quote
I've seen Broly in the theater in Tokyo on the first screening on its opening day.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2