• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Answerman - Do Companies Ever Go Back And Dub Shows They Released Subtitled?

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wrangler

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2018 12:10 pm Reply with quote
I'm subtitled-only kinda guy, I don't trust the dubbing companies to get dialog right or have right voice actors for the characters.
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2018 12:11 pm Reply with quote
I remember this awful show Sentai released sub-only called Mayo Chiki, that later they went back dubbed for some strange reason.
invalidname
Contributor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2018 12:19 pm Reply with quote
Sentai went back and did Clannad during the post-bubble crash, and I remember them saying the only reason they could afford to do so at all was that they got help funding the dub from overseas Clannad licensees who also wanted an English dub.
Greed1914

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2018 12:40 pm Reply with quote
I was just thinking about the weird situation with Gurren Lagann a couple days ago. By the time it ended up switching from ADV to Bandai and actually got released, I'm not sure that the initial plan of releasing it sub-only while it was still such a hot property made much sense.

Sentai going back and dubbing some titles later made sense in that I don't think they could afford to do it for a while after Section 23's restructuring from ADV, and I couldn't blame them for doing what they needed to get some cash flow going again.
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2018 1:01 pm Reply with quote
Fate/Zero getting dubbed does not fit the mold of "going back to dub it" because Aniplex USA never did a DOMESTIC release of it. I say that going back to dub is not as rare as the article suggestes.

There have been several cases the last 4+ years: Anohana, Blue Exorcist, Aria, Toradora. Sentai has done a bunch, To Love Ru being the most recent case. I am cool watching anime sub only, but I like seeing anime that deserve it getting dubs; I was over the moon when Aniplex USA paid for a dub for Anohana.
kariocean2004

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2018 1:49 pm Reply with quote
To love ru is a recent old series that is getting a dub
belvadeer

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2018 1:50 pm Reply with quote
It's always a good move to go back and dub a show that has high appeal. Sub only really isn't the way to go with home releases (unless the title in question is super niche). You're essentially alienating a more than considerable chunk of the viewership that prefers dubs that way.

Last edited by belvadeer on Wed Dec 19, 2018 1:50 pm; edited 1 time in total
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2018 1:50 pm Reply with quote
It should be getting more frequent with streaming as the main distribution system. You have an old property getting a number of views so you want to call attention to it but you also want something to put your version over a pirated version or CR... must resist comparison...

If you're already doing simuldubs...and dubcasts... on shows of dubious quality and you have undubbed shows of known quality... not naming any OTHER names here, Sentai but you know the ones I mean... you should be able to sneak them in alongside the new ones. As they are doing... one week at a time...

New dubs primarily for physical releases these days though? That's kind of weird and are usually special case scenarios funded by buyers. And then there's the big red elephant in the room called "Netflix".

But I swear this question has come up before and Justin answered it as "rare" then as well and I ended up listing title after title where it was done. Juden Chan, you don't count, you're... Media Blasters? Same for you, Rio.

Quote:
Dubbing a show is a very expensive prospect

See above? Also, the more shows you dub at once, the cheaper it is. The time where you spend more than a year dubbing an entire show is just about gone so once you get the mechanism in place, churning out dubs becomes routine. What they do with it... like using it or not... is up to company.
jenthehen

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2018 2:07 pm Reply with quote
Sentai also did it with Blue Drop and maybe some other shows?

I feel like we're in a dub renaissance which makes me thrilled as a dub fan. Dubs are really good these days and nearly everything is getting dubbed (simuldubs are becoming the norm, older shows like Tu Love Ru are getting a dub, and even shows that I previously wouldn't have thought would be dubbed are getting dubbed!) I was worried for awhile when sub releases started getting more normal after the fall of Geneon and ADV - I think companies were wary and cutting costs. Good to see it's turned around!
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2018 5:05 pm Reply with quote
Ghost Hound was sub only to start with. So was the first season of Free! (on DVD only, no less), and Haikyuu!!. They all have dubs now. I guess how rare it is depends on one's definition of "rare." I'd probably just say it's unusual, but happens now and then.
CatSword

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2018 5:58 pm Reply with quote
Sentai still regularly does this. Some shows I can think of:

Blue Drop
Clannad (and After Story)
Ghost Hound
Legends of the Dark King
Love, Chunibyo & Other Delusions!
Love Stage!! (coming 2019)
Maria Holic (both seasons)
Mayo Chiki!
Princess Resurrection
Special A
Tears to Tiara
To Love-Ru (coming 2019)

Also, Bandai infamously rushed out subbed-only Gurren Lagann for the fans who really just wanted the series before putting out proper dubbed volumes.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Zendervai

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2018 6:52 pm Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
Ghost Hound was sub only to start with. So was the first season of Free! (on DVD only, no less), and Haikyuu!!. They all have dubs now. I guess how rare it is depends on one's definition of "rare." I'd probably just say it's unusual, but happens now and then.

Free is a weird case. The first season was released in that blip of a period when Discotek was handling Crunchyroll’s home video releases.
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2018 7:23 pm Reply with quote
It's too bad that Pioneer never dubbed Magical Project S (the magical girl Tenchi Muyo spin off) because I think releasing it as a sub only title marketed towards otaku is part of why it sold so poorly in the US. I think it could have had a slightly better chance if they dubbed it and marketed it towards a more general audience since Magical Project S had a more kid friendly tone than the main Tenchi canon shows. It's probably too old and niche even by Tenchi standards to get a dub nowadays and even a sub only rescue license hasn't happened yet.
NOGI48

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2018 8:57 pm Reply with quote
#NoDubNoBuy
But no seriously thou, whats the point of releasing a sub only show? I'd better off reading the manga since I'm reading. Same thing
Siegfriedl88

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2018 9:11 pm Reply with quote
NOGI48 wrote:
#NoDubNoBuy
But no seriously thou, whats the point of releasing a sub only show? I'd better off reading the manga since I'm reading. Same thing

QFT
i follow this rule, the only sub only show i bought was the persona 3 movies, persona 4 golden, and persona 5 daybreaker...cause im a HUGE fan of the games, other than that dubs the way i go!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3