• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: That Time I Got Reincarnated as a Slime Author Says He Only Discovered Story's Theme in Vo

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pikkuhukka

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2019 8:17 pm Reply with quote
its not really based on manga, its based on a fusion of manga and novel, i read this on r/anime
Mad_Scientist
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2019 8:21 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Fuse feels that "Do what you can do for today" is one of the themes of That Time I Got Reincarnated as a Slime, and that the friends and community he made along the way are an integral part of the series.

So, would you say then that the real slime was the friends we made along the way- *gets dragged off stage via a comically oversized hook*
zztop

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2019 9:01 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
he first began posting the story on the popular Japanese web novel site "Shōsetsuka ni Narō" (Let's Become Novelists) as practice before submitting his work to writing competitions, and that he was making up the plot as he went along. As a result, he admits that he did not figure out the theme of the story until after the web novel got a publishing deal and he edited the part of the novel that would become volume 2.

A good number of Shousetsuka webnovels that I've read (or browsed through) tend to feel like this at times, especially from the novice authors. Most of them even feel more like they're trying to cover as many cliches/beats as possible, following the templates set by their predecessors (RPG menus/mechanics, introducing Japanese culture, guilds, etc. - not that it's bad, just when it's done in an uninspired manner.)

Majority tend to release chapters very frequently at the start (min. 1 chapter a day) although over time they'll slow down to a chapter every few days/weeks/months as they amend their content for LN publication/receive more editorial input/work on other titles/plan their stories better.

The worst case scenario is when the updates drastically slow down to the point of once in a blue moon/indefinite hiatus due to writers block (ex. Faraway Paladin, whose WN hasn't been updated since Sept 2017, 4 chapters into the 5th arc) or loss of interest.

Quote:
Fuse said that he initially wrote That Time I Got Reincarnated as a Slime purely for the fun of it, which allowed him to fill the story with everything he wanted to do.

"Purely for fun" reminds me of the approach taken by Arifureta's author, who says they're having tons of fun writing out their self-indulgent chuuni fantasy (IIRC he identifies as a big fan of chuuni-themed works.), even though they're well aware of it.
Frog-kun
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2019 9:51 pm Reply with quote
pikkuhukka wrote:
its not really based on manga, its based ion a fusion of manga and novel, i read this on r/anime

The interview covered in this article states that the anime is based on the manga. Incidentally, I've also been told this fact by Kadokawa directly.
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2019 10:56 pm Reply with quote
Frog-kun wrote:

The interview covered in this article states that the anime is based on the manga. Incidentally, I've also been told this fact by Kadokawa directly.
Is this unique for the Slime series? I feel like most anime that are based on light novels that also have manga adaptations are usually based on the light novels directly. I wonder why they decided to adapt the manga instead.
Felicity dash

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2019 12:40 am Reply with quote
Cardcaptor Takato wrote:
Frog-kun wrote:

Is this unique for the Slime series? I feel like most anime that are based on light novels that also have manga adaptations are usually based on the light novels directly. I wonder why they decided to adapt the manga instead.

It’s probab easier to adapt for character designs.
trilaan

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2019 2:39 am Reply with quote
Is Fuze saying he has direct input on the anime? Maybe that explains the truncating of the demon lords scene.
maximilianjenus

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2019 4:53 pm Reply with quote
Felicity dash wrote:
Cardcaptor Takato wrote:
Frog-kun wrote:

It’s probab easier to adapt for character designs.

I think it's the pacing, japanese novels in general (VN,LN,SL,etc...) have awful pacing.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1