• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Maquia blu-ray - has there been a recall?

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jdnation

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2019 11:04 pm Reply with quote
Hey, just looking for some information here.

I headed out today to a local retail DVD/music store to inquire about Maquia on blu-ray.

The blu-ray had just released this week.

When I inquired about it, one of the sales people informed me that there might be an issue with the first-run prints of Maquia on blu-ray, that apparently it was missing the Japanese audio track entirely although the information printed there says it has both English and Japanese audio. Apparently the store has received a notification about it.

Does anyone know anything about it?

I'd also wanted to ask them about the Limited Edition that was scheduled to release in March, but there was no information on their system about that, so it's probably not a wide release?
One-Eye

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2019 4:03 am Reply with quote

Is this region A? I have not heard anything about first print runs having issues. I know the standard edition is being put out by Shout Factory and they did something weird by putting two video tracks on a BD-50 disc. One with an English track and another with the Japanese track with hard subs. Its possible that people reported that it was missing the Japanese because they didn't know there are 2 video tracks. On the other hand, it is Shout Factory and they have put out some stuff with issues before. I haven't seen anything about this one, but its still early since it just got released if there are problems it will be reported soon.

As far as the LE it is carried by RightStuf. It maybe exclusive because I think they have a deal with Eleven Arts. It is supposed to be released in May and is quite pricey at $80.
jdnation

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2019 3:51 pm Reply with quote
Hi there. Thanks.

Yeah I'm inquiring about Region A.

I'd seen the Limited Edition available for pre-order on other websites other than Rightstuf, so I thought other retailers might be able to get them.

A customer review on Amazon noted the following:

DVD does not have Japanese soundtrack

"DVD does not have Japanese soundtrack even though the product description says "Language: Japanese" and the product description on DVD cover says "Japanese & English Dolby Digital 5.1".

It is a serious DVD mastering mistake."

https://www.amazon.com/gp/customer-reviews/R8G0SGPNH2SF3/ref=cm_cr_dp_d_rvw_ttl?ie=UTF8&ASIN=B07JHJFJPH

So maybe it's just an issue with the DVD and not the blu-ray?

If anyone owns it on blu-ray, can they verify the language tracks/set-up?

----------------------

UPDATE:

Some more comments from Shout's website.
https://www.shoutfactory.com/product/maquia-when-the-promised-flower-blooms?product_id=6968

"I purchased the MAQUIA DVD + BLURAY combo. I was surprised to find out that only the BLURAY disc has the Japanese Audio, the DVD does not."

"I have the same issue as Cale below. My DVD does not have Japanese soundtrack! The description on the cover saying "Japanese & English Dolby Digital 5.1" is misleading."

So I guess the Blu-Ray is fine, but the DVD is missing the Japanese audio. I assume this is the same case for the DVD in the combo pack as well as the standalone DVD.

If the blu-ray has a hard subbed video as the Japanese audio, I'm guessing it's a reverse importation measure, and they likely couldn't do the same thing on a DVD disc due to lack of space, so the DVD is English dubbed only... but they failed to note that on the box.
One-Eye

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2019 6:48 pm Reply with quote
Some additional info:
Here is one place where it was reported that there was 2 separate tracks. On FandomPost someone emailed Shout Factory and they were told that they were required to author the discs that way.

According to Nozomi/RS twitter they will be authoring their own discs for the LE, so its possible they don't have the requirements that Shout Factory had for the standard release or they will handle it differently.

jdnation wrote:

I'd also wanted to ask them about the Limited Edition that was scheduled to release in March, but there was no information on their system about that, so it's probably not a wide release?

Quote:
I'd seen the Limited Edition available for pre-order on other websites other than Rightstuf, so I thought other retailers might be able to get them.
What sometimes happens is that while RS is the official exclusive retailer, other companies will buy product from RS and resale it on their websites. It all comes down to what it says in contracts, someone can have exclusivity for a limited time like first 3 months, the product might not be limited to sale to individuals, the product might only be sold in limited quantities to both individuals and companies, etc, etc.

From Shawnee RS Dreadlord & CEO twitter:
Quote:
The Limited Edition of this title will be available exclusively at http://RightStufAnime.com @rightstufanime

TL;dr
If your B&M retailer did not have the LE in their system, it might be web retailer only release and RS is the main retailer but it doesn't necessarily prohibit other web retailers from buying it from RS and reselling it.

Quote:
If the blu-ray has a hard subbed video as the Japanese audio, I'm guessing it's a reverse importation measure, and they likely couldn't do the same thing on a DVD disc due to lack of space, so the DVD is English dubbed only... but they failed to note that on the box.
Yea, that's what I would guess too its a mistake on the packaging or specs. The product page on Shout Factory for the DVD currently states Language: English Subtitles: English, while the BD/DVD combo says Eng/JP for language and Eng for subs. If the subs had said none on the DVD set or been more specific on the combo pack people wouldn't have been confused. But yea, the splitting up of the audio tracks on separate video is also probably a reverse import measure.
jdnation

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2019 7:10 pm Reply with quote
Thanks again for the info.

I guess I'm alright with the blu-ray then.

Just debating on whether to get this or wait to see how the LE is... it is pretty pricey, but I guess that depends on what's in the included book, though right now I'm leaning towards the regular edition.
Zalis116

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2019 2:06 pm Reply with quote
jdnation wrote:
Even the space constraints on DVD are just an excuse for laziness; they could've done dual-sided DVDs, with the Japanese version on one side, and the English version on the other. That's how the Sherlock Hound DVDs work, and how some US movies did separate widescreen/fullscreen versions on the same disc back in the late 90s and early 00s.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1