• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shelf Life - Garo: Vanishing Line

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2019 11:14 am Reply with quote
It's nice to see Funimation are still releasing Bandais out of print shows, they really need to pick up Mars Daybreak, or if not them somebody else.
Lord Vaultman

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2019 11:49 am Reply with quote
I really enjoyed Garo as it aired last year. It surprises me how little it was talked about too.

I also knew about the anime director as well and was excited and I want wait to see what else he comes out with as a director. Those are some shows to at least check out.
Greed1914

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2019 12:13 pm Reply with quote
Vanishing Line ended up being my favorite of the three Garo anime. Coming off of Crimson Moon, I was hoping it would at least be better, but I ended up being excited for every new episode. The animation got me hooked from the start. The first series did some really interesting things, and it was disappointing that the second backed off there, so it was nice that the first episode of Vanishing Line had me saying, "woah" out loud.
Ouran High School Dropout

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2019 2:55 pm Reply with quote
Question from someone who knows nothing about this franchise: could someone come in cold with Vanishing Line and actually understand what's going on?
Treecko Tempo

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2019 3:15 pm Reply with quote
Ouran High School Dropout wrote:
Question from someone who knows nothing about this franchise: could someone come in cold with Vanishing Line and actually understand what's going on?

Absolutely, essentially all three of the garo animes are standalone products, with a very loose connection to each other.
Lord Vaultman

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2019 6:49 pm Reply with quote

No you dont. Series is fine by itself. It's great to watch the other series but far from necessary
TheAncientOne

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2019 7:32 pm Reply with quote
MarshalBanana wrote:
It's nice to see Funimation are still releasing Bandais out of print shows, they really need to pick up Mars Daybreak, or if not them somebody else.

This is a "Essentials" (equivalent to the old S.A.V.E. line) re-release of Scrapped Princess by Funimation. There was an earlier standard release from February 28, 2017:
animenewsnetwork.com/shelf-life/2017-02-27/.112707
(See the second to last title in the "On Shelves This Week" section of the article).
crosswithyou

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2019 1:36 am Reply with quote
Quote:
The franchise's success has led to it receiving several animated entries, each of which takes place in a fantastic setting that would have been difficult to realize in live action.

I'm surprised pachinko wasn't mentioned. My first exposure to Garo was as a pachinko game (didn't play it-- just saw ads everywhere), and I feel like pachinko is the franchise's strongest media form, similar to how Eva kind of lives on forever as pachinko.
marshmallowpie

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2019 5:25 am Reply with quote
I have no interest in Death March to the Parallel World, but that cover art is really nice, both the scenery and the simplicity of the text.
Greed1914

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2019 8:52 am Reply with quote
Treecko Tempo wrote:

Absolutely, essentially all three of the garo animes are standalone products, with a very loose connection to each other.

Agreed. There are a few recurring characters, but it isn't crucial to know who they are. It's more of a fun nod for people that have been watching for a while, but they don't directly refer to any past works. I just about lost it when spoiler[Garm reappeared in a flashback in Vanishing Line since she was my favorite character from the Animation.]

They do mention that the suits of armor are passed down bloodlines, so the implication is that the various Knights are distant relatives, but even that is more of a conclusion for the viewer to draw, and not something that crosses from one show to the next.
Merxamers

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2019 12:09 pm Reply with quote
marshmallowpie wrote:
I have no interest in Death March to the Parallel World, but that cover art is really nice, both the scenery and the simplicity of the text.

Agreed; the show is a poor adaptation of a guilty-pleasure-at-best series, but that cover art is amazing.

Quote:
What makes the show work so well is that all of this fairly generic material has been executed as sharply as possible, with frequently stunning visuals and likable enough characters amidst deft scenario writing.

Excellent line; I don't think a story has to reinvent the wheel every time, it just has to execute its own story elements well. Some of my favorite anime were by no means super original, they just did it WELL.

Quote:
(The second anime, Garo: Crimson Moon, is entirely made out of dump episodes.)

Hah! Sick burn! I hear so many terrible things about that second season i'm almost tempted to try it out of morbid curiosity.
Greed1914

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2019 1:51 pm Reply with quote
Merxamers wrote:

Hah! Sick burn! I hear so many terrible things about that second season i'm almost tempted to try it out of morbid curiosity.

You could. I don't know if I would say the whole thing was bad, but compared to what came before and after, it is definitely a major letdown. I will say that there was one episode in the second half that ticked me off enough that I had to take a break for a while before I finished Crimson Moon.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1