• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
This Week in Games - Gotta Nope Fast

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
prime_pm

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2019 12:18 pm Reply with quote
Still not a 12 fan, but to each is own.
CastMember1991

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2019 12:26 pm Reply with quote
If you ask me, Disney missed a massive opportunity to have their Feature Animation division pick up the film rights. At least the Mouse House would have treated the Blue Blur with respect. Paramount should just stick with Transformers.
Aca Vuksa

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2019 1:26 pm Reply with quote
I still like Detective Pikachu more than Sonic the Hedgehog Live/CGI Movies, it looks pretty cuter than Sonic, but also uglier than uncanny.
AiddonValentine

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2019 1:39 pm Reply with quote
-Sonic: It is an endless void from which no joy can escape.

-FFXII: Not the worst FF (that's a tie between VIII and XIII), but probably the blandest (only matched by XV) and definitely the one with the most wasted potential.

Also, Bloodstained finally has a release date of June 18 for all platforms but the Switch which is coming out June 25. About time
Hoppy800

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2019 2:13 pm Reply with quote
Project Nimbus also got announced for Switch for a May 19 release. Although I do want to check out some gameplay since it's more arcade style than Armored Core and Daemon x Machina.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2019 3:33 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
So yeah, as bad as we expected film Sonic to look from the teaser posters and leaked marketing images, somehow this uncanny-valley, revised-design-by-marketing-committee version manages to look even worse. Sonic looks wildly out of place, his origin is really muddy (I hope they're not doing the lazy “he's an ALIEN!” plot), both he and the mechanical stuff look really weird and out of place in a realistic setting, and who in their right mind made the music choice here?!

Taking it back to 1999 are we?

Quote:

The trailer's bad enough, but what makes it even worse is that we've seen a bunch of material for Detective Pikachu, which has been received very warmly

Yeah barring the first trailer where almost everybody spent their time whining about Mr.Mime and Jigglypuff.....oh and still complaining about Danny Devito not voicing Pikachu.

Quote:
Sonic and Eggman here are clearly in The Real World with Real People, and the biggest lesson we should have learned from Sonic's gaming exploits is that Sonic does not interact well with realistic looking people.

People tend to overstate the Sonic-Elise stuff while weirdly ignoring the more "legitimate" issues with Sonic 06 such as it's broken and unpolished gameplay.

Quote:
but this one is leaving everyone going “wow, that's kind of a dick move!

Wasn't getting timed exclusive release for the new Metro game that to some people?

Quote:

Anyhow, it's one thing to secure an exclusive for an upcoming game, but acquiring something that's already out and has an established audience on a competing platform, and then moving it over to yours? Yeah, that's pretty brazen… and not great for PC Rocket League fans.

Don't know Microsoft has owned Minecraft for how long with them doing next to nothing to spite people who owned the game on all the platforms it was on prior to them buying it?
ranran-001

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2019 4:14 pm Reply with quote
I saw the new Detective Pikachu trailer, and it looked dreadful. Nothing funny in it at all. It's not even in the realm of Who Framed Roger Rabbit funny either, just blah.

Although the humor is missing in Detective Pikachu, the designs are however more approachable and easier to take in.

Sonic's design on the other hand is like watching an obscenity come to life.
TsubomiKoneko

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2019 4:48 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
(Also, I wonder how many of these people would have said “I'm going to see the live action Grinch to see Jim Carrey in the title role!” back in 2000. Probably zero.)

I'm confused by this comment, my family DID go see that movie back then because Jim Carrey was the lead. And he's also honestly the only reason I'll even bother renting the Sonic movie when it's out. Is it so strange to like a particular actor and watch something because of them?
AmpersandsUnited

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2019 5:03 pm Reply with quote
BadNewsBlues wrote:
Wasn't getting timed exclusive release for the new Metro game that to some people?

As far as I can tell, people say that about anything Epic does. I don't play games on PC much, but the whole hatred from Epic Store seems to just stem from them not having everything in their Steam library in one place. But just like we've seen with anime streaming, that's going away. People see the money and appeal in it, so now other companies want in on that market. But unlike anime, you don't have to pay to use the Blizzard launcher, or the Ubisoft launcher, or the Bethesda launcher, or the Epic Store launcher, so it's really pointless to complain about having to use another launcher like it is having to pay for Netflix or Funimation to watch a show on their platform.
Sailor Sedna

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2019 7:06 pm Reply with quote
The only thing I'm looking forward to seeing about the Sonic film is the infamous Christian Weston Chandler's reaction to it. Yes, I'm not lying. And it better not have any borderline bestiality shit like the 2006 Sonic game had...

As for Detective Pikachu, that's definitely on my "want to watch" list, can't wait till it comes out. Smile
kotomikun

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2019 8:40 pm Reply with quote
TsubomiKoneko wrote:
Is it so strange to like a particular actor and watch something because of them?

Given that half of Hollywood's marketing is based around the big-name actors, and they get obscene amounts of money for the amount of press they bring just by being in the movie, no, clearly that isn't strange at all. But niche subcultures like this one may feel differently than the general public.

In regards to Sonic looking like an unholy abomination, honestly, there was probably no way around that. Sonic is a freaky, inherently cartoonish-looking creature. I can't imagine a way to take a fuzzy blue half-human half-hedgehog embodiment of 90's radical kid culture and put it in the real world without making it look ridiculous. He looks pretty ridiculous even in animation, really, but in the context of a campy and extremely video-gamey video game, it's not as noticeable. (Most) Pokemon are designed to look like plausible fantasy creatures, rather than saturday-morning-cartoon characters, so translating that to live-action is much more manageable.
Denys Lalande

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2019 10:07 pm Reply with quote
"People want to see Jim Carrey as [Eggman|Robotnik]" in the same way "people want to see Sacha Baron Cohen play Freddie Mercury" -- that is: The twelve remaining fans of the actor want to see this; everyone else in God's Creation knows "this is an incredibly, amazingly, astoundingly, astonishingly, apocalyptically *STUPID* idea"....
Commander Cluck

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2019 10:09 pm Reply with quote
CastMember1991 wrote:
If you ask me, Disney missed a massive opportunity to have their Feature Animation division pick up the film rights. At least the Mouse House would have treated the Blue Blur with respect. Paramount should just stick with Transformers.

Disney's made plenty of stinkers themselves.
residentgrigo

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2019 11:57 pm Reply with quote
Remember when Tails watched Sonic shower in the original Adventure credits? Remember when Sonic was best friends with the US president in the sequel? Or how about Shadow killing cops in the E10 rated sequel to that? The bestiality in Sonic 06 easily wins of course but Pepperidge Farm still remembers. The whole franchise peaked with Sonic CD in 1993 and just needs to end. Pull the plug Sega, we all suffered enough.
Like seriously, the new film is based on the immediately abandoned American Sonic lore bible! That thing was basically uncut heroin in how bonkers it was, yet here we are. This Sonic will be raised by on owl! Cronenberg-baby-Sonic here we come.

PS: Generations is the one alright 3D Sonic game but even that one was tarnished by it´s sequel.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
kameoosama

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2019 2:31 am Reply with quote
I think the problem is less "sonic can't fit in with realistic characters" and more like "It's really generous to say the CG character they put in the trailer is supposed to be sonic." I feel like if you had a collection of the right poses and facial expressions from the more recent 3D sonic games and masked that into the trailer, it would probably work better in a weird Cool World sorta way. Anyway, I also think that people who say they want Jim Carry to "Ham it up as Eggman" have probably accepted that the film is gonna be bad and just hope that Carrey does for this what Raul Julia did to the Street Fighter movie as a last-ditch prayer to get something at least ironically enjoyable. Which makes sense that they wouldn't have done it for something like The Grinch because we didn't have an online culture so driven by enjoying things "ironically" back then.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2