• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Square Enix Closes Studio Istolia, Cancels 'Project Prelude Rune' RPG

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Animorphimagi

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2019 11:43 pm Reply with quote
I don't know anything about Hideo Baba, but another director leaves Square Enix?(in reference to Tabata leaving last year as well after he got his own studio)
I guess it's just restructuring but I hope this means they'll start pooling their resources into less projects rather than being spread so thin.
With FF7 in development and that they better at least start pre-production on a next gen Final Fantasy game, there's no reason why they should've had another studio making an RPG. On top of that, Octopath Traveler's update or sequel or whatever is in development. There is such a thing as too many RPGs being released in a year. SE doesn't need to flood the market with low resourced and/or rushed games when so many other developers make RPGs every year as well.

Probably won't see any confirmation on how restructuring might affect SE until the next gen consoles arrive though.
Azza Murphy

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2019 12:03 am Reply with quote
heh no big lost here Laughing Laughing Laughing
Hypeathon

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2019 12:09 am Reply with quote
Animorphimagi wrote:
I don't know anything about Hideo Baba, but...

He was the brand manager producer for the Tales series from 2007-2015 before becoming the President of Istolia.
Яeverse

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2019 12:34 am Reply with quote
Guess the game just didn't mesh and was taking too long, sad. Could have rivalved Tales of, the leader in JRPGs
Generations

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2019 1:08 am Reply with quote
Яeverse wrote:
Guess the game just didn't mesh and was taking too long, sad. Could have rivalved Tales of, the leader in JRPGs

Uh, since when?
Iron Maw

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2019 2:39 am Reply with quote
Animorphimagi wrote:
I don't know anything about Hideo Baba, but another director leaves Square Enix?(in reference to Tabata leaving last year as well after he got his own studio)
I guess it's just restructuring but I hope this means they'll start pooling their resources into less projects rather than being spread so thin.
With FF7 in development and that they better at least start pre-production on a next gen Final Fantasy game, there's no reason why they should've had another studio making an RPG. On top of that, Octopath Traveler's update or sequel or whatever is in development. There is such a thing as too many RPGs being released in a year. SE doesn't need to flood the market with low resourced and/or rushed games when so many other developers make RPGs every year as well.

Probably won't see any confirmation on how restructuring might affect SE until the next gen consoles arrive though.

Those two left for entirely different reasons and timing is just coincidence though. Tabata himself at been at SE for an decade too unlike Baba who was much more recent.His studio probably wasn't meeting it's goals and commitments I guess the rst of staff will just be restructured..
Ashabel

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2019 5:30 am Reply with quote
Яeverse wrote:

Hideo Baba is the whole reason why Tales as a franchise has turned into soulless factory-produced shovelware over the years, and his mismanagement and financial machinations are also the reason behind the infamously embarrassing recall of Tales of Graces and Tales Studio's loss of independence.

Anyone who expected great things from him now that he moved from Namco to SquareEnix, was completely deluded.
meiam

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2019 8:35 am Reply with quote
Generations wrote:
Яeverse wrote:

Uh, since when?

Win by default I guess? Nobody make jrpg anymore, at least not larger production (there's like 5 RPG maker that come out everyday, but most are garbage). SE can barely be bothered to make 1 game every 5 years and otherwise the only semi regular series is the alchemist one, it's quality is just as variable if not more so than tale of.
Ambrose7

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2019 10:53 am Reply with quote
meiam wrote:
Generations wrote:
Яeverse wrote:

Uh, since when?

Win by default I guess? Nobody make jrpg anymore, at least not larger production (there's like 5 RPG maker that come out everyday, but most are garbage). SE can barely be bothered to make 1 game every 5 years and otherwise the only semi regular series is the alchemist one, it's quality is just as variable if not more so than tale of.

Nobody makes jrpgs anymore? Wut? Dragon Quest and Persona 5 are not even that old dude. Atlus, Square Enix still make jrpgs. We also have Trails series, Tales, YS, Pokémon and tons of other games not from the above two. Yowht are you talking about.
meiam

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2019 11:29 am Reply with quote
Ambrose7 wrote:
meiam wrote:
Generations wrote:
Яeverse wrote:

Uh, since when?

Nobody makes jrpgs anymore? Wut? Dragon Quest and Persona 5 are not even that old dude. Atlus, Square Enix still make jrpgs. We also have Trails series, Tales, YS, Pokémon and tons of other games not from the above two. Yowht are you talking about.

In the last decade, there were 2 dragon quest game, 2 final fantasy (1 being mmo and the other being pretty far from JRPG), 3 Ys (and the Ys series was never particularly popular or good), 1 persona and so on.

Meanwhile there was 5 tales of games (and if we expand that to 11 year it jump to 7), tales of is just the only jrpg franchise that publish regularly enough, everything else just publish so rarely it's pratcically a dead genra.
I_Drive_DSM

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2019 12:48 pm Reply with quote
Ambrose7 wrote:
meiam wrote:
Generations wrote:
Яeverse wrote:

Uh, since when?

I think meiam forgot about Nihon Falcom & Nippon Ichi, just to name a few JRPG stalwarts that aren't Square Enix
Ambrose7

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2019 4:59 pm Reply with quote
meiam wrote:
Ambrose7 wrote:
meiam wrote:
Generations wrote:
Яeverse wrote:

Uh, since when?

In the last decade, there were 2 dragon quest game, 2 final fantasy (1 being mmo and the other being pretty far from JRPG), 3 Ys (and the Ys series was never particularly popular or good), 1 persona and so on.

Meanwhile there was 5 tales of games (and if we expand that to 11 year it jump to 7), tales of is just the only jrpg franchise that publish regularly enough, everything else just publish so rarely it's pratcically a dead genra.

There have also been 2 SMT games, many etrian odyssey games, 2 bravely games, Xenoblade, Octopath, Fire Emblem and many more. If anything there has been a recent resurgence of Jrpgs. The genre is far from dead.
Cecilthedarkknight_234

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2019 6:31 pm Reply with quote
Well now i see that square is still bleeding money from the development of Final Fantasy 15 or should I say Versus XIII. I'm really starting to wonder just how much money they lost.[/list]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
meiam

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2019 8:23 pm Reply with quote
Ambrose7 wrote:

There have also been 2 SMT games, many etrian odyssey games, 2 bravely games, Xenoblade, Octopath, Fire Emblem and many more. If anything there has been a recent resurgence of Jrpgs. The genre is far from dead.

None of which are even remotely close to being able to be called king of jrpg (hell octopath as a single entry...). Tale of really is the only franchise outputting game on a regular basis, every other franchise (fire emblem is a tactical rpg).

You also have to put things in perspective, the number of game coming out as exploded, there are more game coming out in any given month nowadays than were coming out every year 15-20 years ago, and yet the number of jrpg to come out as mostly stay constant/slightly decrease over the years, that's not the sign of an healthy genre.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2019 9:02 pm Reply with quote
meiam wrote:

None of which are even remotely close to being able to be called king of jrpg (hell octopath as a single entry...).

Does being the "king" of RPG's matter though?'

That just sounds like an arbitrary title with no real bearing.

meiam wrote:

You also have to put things in perspective, the number of game coming out as exploded, there are more game coming out in any given month nowadays than were coming out every year 15-20 years ago, and yet the number of jrpg to come out as mostly stay constant/slightly decrease over the years, that's not the sign of an healthy genre.

Well between some of the titles having diminishing returns for their publishers on top of many publisher's and developers biting the dust over the years makes sense. To say nothing of the genre still being pretty damned niche even now.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1