• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Voice Actress Megumi Ogata Describes Sexual Harassment Incident at Tokyo Bar District

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Idgal

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2019 1:05 pm Reply with quote
the nice thing is the Golden Gai neighborhood Association is taking it serious and asking if any business has footage to track the guy down.
Alexis.Anagram

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2019 1:12 pm Reply with quote
Yikes on so many levels. Even if she had been a gay man, that wouldn't justify touching her like that, and the ensuing remarks speak to how there is so much internalized misogyny, especially transmisogyny, in gay culture, regardless of where you are. I've had friends who have had to deal with this kind of behavior from other queer folks crossing their boundaries in all kinds of ways, especially where alcohol is involved. Serves as a reminder that we aren't entitled to touch or speak to others however we want to just because we sense they might be on the same spectrum as we are.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2019 1:58 pm Reply with quote
It's somewhat disturbing as well as intrequing that there would be any bigotry of sexual orientation within such a group with a history of heterosexual bigotry and abuse to the point of execution if found, but I guess all bigots are equal opportunity haters of all colours, or as I suspect the perpetrator wasn't gay at all, but using that excuse for his disgraceful action.
Gemnist

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2019 2:08 pm Reply with quote
Alexis.Anagram wrote:
Yikes on so many levels. Even if she had been a gay man, that wouldn't justify touching her like that, and the ensuing remarks speak to how there is so much internalized misogyny, especially transmisogyny, in gay culture, regardless of where you are. I've had friends who have had to deal with this kind of behavior from other queer folks crossing their boundaries in all kinds of ways, especially where alcohol is involved. Serves as a reminder that we aren't entitled to touch or speak to others however we want to just because we sense they might be on the same spectrum as we are.

I don’t want to start an argument with you, but I think you’re reading too hard into this in order to create a different narrative. Ogata herself said that she didn’t want this to be seen as an attack by or on the LGBT community, and that it was all on the guy who attacked her. What the man did was objectively wrong, but I don’t see how that translates to him or any other LGBT person being sexist, especially since he allegedly thought she was a man. Or it’s like the other guy said, and him being LGBT could have even been an excuse to commit his crime. Those two may not be mutually exclusive, but one does not automatically lead to the other either.
Asaaaasd

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2019 2:17 pm Reply with quote
Mohawk52 wrote:
It's somewhat disturbing as well as intrequing that there would be any bigotry of sexual orientation within such a group with a history of heterosexual bigotry and abuse to the point of execution if found, but I guess all bigots are equal opportunity haters of all colours, or as I suspect the perpetrator wasn't gay at all, but using that excuse for his disgraceful action.

That individual was a prick. They'd be a prick regardless of their orientation, beliefs, or associations.
ranran-001

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2019 3:16 pm Reply with quote
Gemnist wrote:
Alexis.Anagram wrote:

I don’t want to start an argument with you, but I think you’re reading too hard into this in order to create a different narrative. Ogata herself said that she didn’t want this to be seen as an attack by or on the LGBT community, and that it was all on the guy who attacked her. What the man did was objectively wrong, but I don’t see how that translates to him or any other LGBT person being sexist, especially since he allegedly thought she was a man. Or it’s like the other guy said, and him being LGBT could have even been an excuse to commit his crime. Those two may not be mutually exclusive, but one does not automatically lead to the other either.

and its also possible the assaulter isn't even gay, but thought it would be an opportunity to hurt a woman, by touching her AND insulting her physical appearance.
capt_bunny

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2019 4:52 pm Reply with quote
Gemnist wrote:
Alexis.Anagram wrote:

As someone who is in the LGBT community and an activist; I have to agree with Gemnist.... I'm not saying you're not wrong on that happens in the LGBT community with this but the situation wasn't about that. To me, she was seeing that it was more about how he sexual harassed her. That it can happen anywhere with anyone.
#HayamiLover

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2019 5:08 pm Reply with quote
capt_bunny wrote:
Gemnist wrote:
Alexis.Anagram wrote:

As someone who is in the LGBT community and an activist; I have to agree with Gemnist.... I'm not saying you're not wrong on that happens in the LGBT community with this but the situation wasn't about that. To me, she was seeing that it was more about how he sexual harassed her. That it can happen anywhere with anyone.

Personally, I tend to doubt that “I thought you were a guy” was the real reason. Rather, he initially wanted to harass her, but realizing that she was walking with another girl and has an androgynous appearance, he tried to translate everything into a “joke”.Yes, Ogata has a cult status as VA of androgynous characters, including the legendary Haruka, but I doubt that grabbing the chest is the way that gay males "flirt" each other.
Alexis.Anagram

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2019 1:18 am Reply with quote
Gemnist wrote:

capt_bunny wrote:

I'm not really sure what either of you are trying to get at. All I was saying is that this is a fairly pervasive issue in LGBTQ communities (as well as the rest of society), and if you don't believe that, maybe you just haven't been on the receiving end of it. That's not to formulate a statement about all LGBTQ people everywhere, but as someone who is queer and trans I think it's especially important to highlight and challenge the internalization of these kinds of entitled attitudes within the context of queer culture whenever it's relevant to do so. We need to be proactive in making sure we're fostering safe communities for our queer relatives and allies, and I've been in too many situations where I've found out after the fact that a known assaulter or transphobe was permitted access to spaces I'm a part of not to connect the dots.

If Ogata wasn't attempting to address this, why even identify the man as gay? She could have just said, "A man assaulted me." She's obviously connecting the dots as well. Neither of us are looking to scapegoat every LGBT person alive: but there's a pattern of enabling behavior in this area which deserves to be called out.
gloverrandal

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2019 8:18 am Reply with quote
Alexis.Anagram wrote:
[If Ogata wasn't attempting to address this, why even identify the man as gay? She could have just said, "A man assaulted me." She's obviously connecting the dots as well. Neither of us are looking to scapegoat every LGBT person alive: but there's a pattern of enabling behavior in this area which deserves to be called out.

The man who grabbed miss Ogata claimed he thought she was a man. It is related to her attack. There is a stereotype of this happening in Shinjuku around the gay bars. Men are joking told to avoid those areas at night. It seems it really does happen..
ChiilongCha

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2019 10:46 am Reply with quote
Never in my life where it's okay to grab a stranger's breast out of the blue. Any attempt at making an excuse just makes it worse, because not only you have invaded someone's personal space, you attempt to justify it with false assumptions.

Conclusion is, don't touch strangers without consent, period.
Chiibi

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2019 10:50 pm Reply with quote
WTF RUDE?

Like, do people have to start wearing BOXES around their bodies just to avoid sexual assault?

Stop touching strangers!! How hard is that!?

(love Megumi's seiyuu work btw)
Juno016

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2019 9:39 pm Reply with quote
gloverrandal wrote:
The man who grabbed miss Ogata claimed he thought she was a man. It is related to her attack. There is a stereotype of this happening in Shinjuku around the gay bars. Men are joking told to avoid those areas at night. It seems it really does happen..

I don't go to bars (and I never lived near Tokyo), but I do know the area around Golden Gai is full of idiots and playboys who often try to flirt with girls and other gay men on the street at night. Some of the matome sites I visit have posters tell their stories of being hit on (some positive, some negative) and that's where I learned about Golden Gai in the first place. It's easy to recognize now.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1