• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Godzilla: King of the Monsters Drops to #7, Detective Pikachu to #13 in U.S.

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
StarfighterPegasus

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2019 2:33 pm Reply with quote
Its a shame Detective Pikachu didn't gross as much as people anticipated, I would have thought that DP would have made as much as like Thor the Dark World or even winter solider. Pokemon is one of the most widely known franchises, Pokemon Go made Billions DP should have made at 500 million
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2019 2:39 pm Reply with quote
Detective Pikachu was a lot of fun and I enjoyed the humor and world building, but I don't think the whole spoiler[Mewtwo turning humans into Pokemon plot] will hold up well in future rewatches.
LegitPancake

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2019 3:23 pm Reply with quote
I mean Pikachu made more money internationally and domestically than Alita, even with a smaller budget and not behind a big name like James Cameron. So it definitely made a profit.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2019 3:30 pm Reply with quote
StarfighterPegasus wrote:
Its a shame Detective Pikachu didn't gross as much as people anticipated, I would have thought that DP would have made as much as like Thor the Dark World or even winter solider. Pokemon is one of the most widely known franchises, Pokemon Go made Billions DP should have made at 500 million

Well keep in mind both Captain America and Thor are pretty well known characters who have been around for decades. Secondly those movies tied back into a overarching cinematic universe. The Dectective Pikachu game/movie is considerably different from the main pokemon games proper.

It was never guaranteed to push numbers.
Ushio

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2019 4:30 pm Reply with quote
LegitPancake wrote:
I mean Pikachu made more money internationally and domestically than Alita, even with a smaller budget and not behind a big name like James Cameron. So it definitely made a profit.

$421 million world wide studio sees 50% of that (theatres get a cut) so $210 million for studio minus $150 million production budget equals $60 million minus $100 million marketing, distribution and licencing budget equals $40 million loss.

The theatrical run hasn't yet finished but is probably less than $20 million worldwide left.

Merchandising will all be through the Pokémon company so no money for the studio there but streaming, TV licencing and maybe home video will make enough to eek out a small profit or at least break even.

It's why I expect all the talk of sequels to disappear a month after the home video release.

I enjoyed the film and honestly am surprised it didn't do $600 - $700 million worldwide but at the same time you have a very long running anime and lots of games so it might be a Spiderverse situation where the box office doesn't represent the hype as parents tell their kids "you can watch pokemon/spider-man cartoons on TV we're not going to the cinema for that"
Silver Kirin

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2019 5:34 pm Reply with quote
I am actually surprised that Detective Pikachu managed to gross a little bit more than Battle Angel Alita and even more than Godzilla 2, two other movies based on Japanese properties. I don't know if a sequel is in production, though I heard that the writers of the Sonic movie and 21 Jump Street are involved, but it seems that the Pokémon Company is satisfied with how it performed if they announced that a sequel to the original game is coming to the Nintendo Switch.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2019 7:53 pm Reply with quote
Ushio wrote:

I enjoyed the film and honestly am surprised it didn't do $600 - $700 million worldwide but at the same time you have a very long running anime and lots of games so it might be a Spiderverse situation where the box office doesn't represent the hype as parents tell their kids "you can watch pokemon/spider-man cartoons on TV we're not going to the cinema for that"

Didn't ITSV recoup it's budget while making a profit though?
StarfighterPegasus

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2019 3:54 am Reply with quote
BadNewsBlues wrote:

Well keep in mind both Captain America and Thor are pretty well known characters who have been around for decades. Secondly those movies tied back into a overarching cinematic universe. The Dectective Pikachu game/movie is considerably different from the main pokemon games proper.

It was never guaranteed to push numbers.
Yeah but Pikachu and Pokemon is more well known than Marvel and its properties outside of X men and Spiderman at the time, Iron Man, Thor, Captain America they were considered B listers, Black Panther C and GOTG who? Before the Cinematic Universe thing blew up,

Pokemon had years of popular through mutiple media; games, books, anime, merchandise Pikachu is one of the most well known faces internationally more so than Iron man before RDJ took the mantle. I was thinking brand notoriety would be enough to make ir gross more than Rampage it should be making 500 to 600 million ,
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2019 12:41 pm Reply with quote
Detective Pikachu though was an original story without the familiarity of the past entries. The main draw for Detective Pikachu was the creature effects and the gimmick of Ryan Reynolds as a talking Pikachu. If you were going in expecting Ash, Misty, Brock and Team Rocket, you were probably going to be disappointed.
Nordhmmer

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2019 1:31 pm Reply with quote
At this point
Godzilla 2 is currently looking at a loss of $200 - $300 million
Pokémon Detective Pikachu is looking a small loss as well.
And Alita lost money as well.

Gross income does not equal net profit....
StarfighterPegasus

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2019 4:00 pm Reply with quote
Nordhmmer wrote:
At this point

Alita showed us that James Cameron isn't enough to sell a film, despite all the good word of mouth it was getting it still didn't live up to it the hype people set for it. How much did Alita lose?
gloverrandal

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2019 4:51 pm Reply with quote
BadNewsBlues wrote:
Well keep in mind both Captain America and Thor are pretty well known characters who have been around for decades.

Nobody cared about Captain America or Thor until their movies came out. People only know them from the movies.

Detective Pikachu was a bad movie with no resemblance to the franchise it was based on. It making as much money as it did was disappointing to me.

Critics are saying the new American Godzilla is horrible. I see why it might be losing money
enurtsol

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2019 2:39 pm Reply with quote
gloverrandal wrote:
BadNewsBlues wrote:

Well keep in mind both Captain America and Thor are pretty well known characters who have been around for decades.

Nobody cared about Captain America or Thor until their movies came out. People only know them from the movies.

That is incorrect. People are already familiar with Captain America and Thor even before the movies. People already recognize them. They don't know everything, but they knew their powers and a bit about their origins. (I remember having talks about them all the time even before Marvel starting the whole movie franchise. They're iconic characters - everybody knows Captain America with his shield and Thor God of Thunder with his hammer.)

gloverrandal wrote:

Detective Pikachu was a bad movie with no resemblance to the franchise it was based on.

Just remember, it was based on the little known Detective Pikachu game, not the regular Pokemon game.

gloverrandal wrote:

Critics are saying the new American Godzilla is horrible. I see why it might be losing money

The critics say the story isn't good (which is true), but for Godzilla fans, the story is not the point of Godzilla - it's the monster fights (like DBZ).
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2019 11:02 am Reply with quote
Nordhmmer wrote:
At this point

Alita showed us that James Cameron isn't enough to sell a film, despite all the good word of mouth it was getting it still didn't live up to it the hype people set for it. How much did Alita lose?

Battle Angel Alita made 404 million worldwide, with a production cost of 170 million. It was the marketing costs that didn't make this a financial success. Still it made 404 million, that is nothing to sneeze at.

Godzilla King of the Monsters is on track to make 400 million worldwide also, with production costs of 200 million. So it will be close to breaking even, when marketing costs are added in. That is not a 200-300 million loss.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1