• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: I Married My Best Friend To Shut My Parents Up GN

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pharmboy23

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2019 12:19 pm Reply with quote
Yeeeeeah, I didn’t care for this one much. Same problem as Now Loading - no time to really breathe and what it does focus on isn’t much fun.

I did like the portrayal of sticking up for yourself to your crap parents - that comes across as particularly hellish for our lead. The rest... meh. Hana really doesn’t seem terribly well written, and you’re bang on that she comes perilously close to crossing a line. There’s pushy and then there’s shove-y.

It says something to the storytelling of last month’s anthology that most of those stories are infinitely more fulfilling than something that’s got a whole book to take up.
zensunni

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2019 12:44 am Reply with quote
While I agree that this would have benefitted from having a few more chapters to flesh out the relationship, I didn't think the author did a bad job of portraying Machi's progressing feelings for Hana or that Hana came across as too pushy or predatory. Indeed, Hana came across as almost too oblivious. spoiler[If Hana were being predatory, she would have suggested the fake relationship BECAUSE she still had a crush on Machi, not because she honestly had to find a new place to live due to her apartment being renovated or whatever it was. While it is true that she WAS still in love with her, she didn't think that her feelings were reciprocated and, in fact, almost got together with her ex as a way to try to push her feeling aside. This, of course, is what made Machi jealous enough to realize that she had actually come to love her fake wife.]

I particularly liked the epilogue chapter.
jyuichi

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2019 1:50 am Reply with quote
I disagree strongly with the reviewer’s theory that Machi must be asexual (vs homosexual) she seems like she is a pretty normal queer/lesbian/bi late bloomer discovering her sexuality.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1