• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Italian Bank Pulls Ad With My Hero Academia Reference After Reddit Post

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kicksville

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2019 6:46 pm Reply with quote
"Those youths sure are excited about banking!"
Kaorichama

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2019 6:53 pm Reply with quote
I knew some companies were pretty desperate to attract young people but this... Holy fudge, Italy
mulletZERO

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2019 7:43 pm Reply with quote
I'm sorry I know it's wrong that they plagiarized the official artwork, but this is hilarious.
What was their thought process behind this? "No one will ever recognize what the original drawing is from, it'll be fine"
Kiskaloo
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2019 7:57 pm Reply with quote
mulletZERO wrote:
What was their thought process behind this? "No one will ever recognize what the original drawing is from, it'll be fine"

I imagine this campaign was done by an outside ad agency I would not be surprised at all if the bank PR team did not know MHA and they therefore would not recognize the characters as infringing another IP. The client relations team at the ad agency themselves probably didn't recognize it (or I would like to believe they would not have approved presenting it to the client).

As such, I expect the infringement was due to a member of the team who designed/composed the ad.
Superfield

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2019 8:15 pm Reply with quote
"You fools! You got their stunt doubles!"
Top Gun

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2019 9:39 pm Reply with quote
This is exquisite. Laughing
GX5000

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2019 9:42 pm Reply with quote
Superfield wrote:
"You fools! You got their stunt doubles!"

Darn I wish I give give you an upvote for that! Laughing
kotomikun

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2019 10:21 pm Reply with quote
Kiskaloo wrote:
As such, I expect the infringement was due to a member of the team who designed/composed the ad.

Obviously, but what was that person's thought process? I'd guess something along the lines of "I'll just recolor this thing from Google Images to save time, looks like some cartoon for kids or whatever, no one will notice." Little did they know the internet notices everything.

I don't know which part of that thing is funnier--the Tsuyu with a normal human mouth (almost identical to Deku's), or that they edited out Iida's glasses for no apparent reason. Or maybe Ochako's other leg, which appears to have turned invisible.
Sekaro

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2019 11:30 pm Reply with quote
Reminds me of that one article where a hospital/clinic of some sort hired a design firm to create a logo for them... only to realise that the logo was directly copied from the Umbrella Corporation from Resident Evil. The hospital also didn't have any idea that it was from a video game series Laughing
CatSword

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2019 12:05 am Reply with quote
deviantART tracers be like
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
LiteMangime

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2019 7:25 am Reply with quote
"The bank has not issued a statement regarding the artwork."

I kind of want them to.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2019 8:16 am Reply with quote
They won't. The bank will bide it's time, until it all blows over. I wouldn't want to be the ad company though.
Greed1914

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2019 12:44 pm Reply with quote
To be fair, if wearing glasses is an effective disguise for Superman, how could they have known that people would recognize Ida without his glasses?
jdnation

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2019 5:21 pm Reply with quote
It could also be due to something really stupid, like someone downloaded their kids' just-for-fun drawing into the wrong folder.
jree78

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2019 10:29 pm Reply with quote
kotomikun wrote:
Kiskaloo wrote:

Obviously, but what was that person's thought process? I'd guess something along the lines of "I'll just recolor this thing from Google Images to save time, looks like some cartoon for kids or whatever, no one will notice." Little did they know the internet notices everything.

I don't know which part of that thing is funnier--the Tsuyu with a normal human mouth (almost identical to Deku's), or that they edited out Iida's glasses for no apparent reason. Or maybe Ochako's other leg, which appears to have turned invisible.

I guess that person's thinking would be, oh my boss doesn't know what MHA is nobody else will care I could just copy this and make some money.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2