• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: PlayStation 5 Console Launches in Holiday Season 2020

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Aca Vuksa

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2019 8:46 am Reply with quote
Good, now i am looking forward to get an PS4 one!
Dicku-kun

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2019 9:37 am Reply with quote
Nice. I own all current-gen console and enjoyed most of my time with my PS4 (Switch coming close though) but I'll keep my hype in check for now.

There's a curse though that once a console is successful, it's almost guaranteed that the company will get complacent and fail the next one lol. Shawn Layden's firing might be the harbinger of that. Guess time will tell.
TsubomiKoneko

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2019 9:45 am Reply with quote
An idea of when it's coming out is nice, but... no clue on cost yet? I'm 'excited' to see how ridiculous the price is this time around.
chrisc1978

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2019 11:09 am Reply with quote
I own a PS3, PS4, PS4 PRO, PSP, PSTV, and a PS VITA but after Sony started censoring games I refuse to buy another PlayStation Console. I only buy Steam games for my gaming computer now
Sam Murai

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2019 11:28 am Reply with quote
FINALLY. While it didn't have the games that I was interested in like on the PS3, I'd have certainly gotten a PS4 had it moonlight as a 4K BD player. Now, not only will the PS5 have one, but it will also be backwards-compatible, too. Not sure about the haptic replacement, but the adaptive triggers sound interesting, though.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
whiskeyii

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2019 1:16 pm Reply with quote
While I’m tentatively excited, I think I’ll wait a bit on this. I feel like early adopters tend to end up with somewhat buggy consoles, so unless there’s something I neeeeed to have exclusively on the PS5, I’m happier just biding my time.
Hoppy800

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2019 1:22 pm Reply with quote
100 GB discs? Uhhh, Sony, you do realize that games have already topped 100 GB, that should've been a 300 GB blu-ray disc. Other than that, the system seems fine, but doubt I'll buy it anytime soon unless Sony offers a vast library of PS2 classics or stops censoring current gen games.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2019 5:24 pm Reply with quote
Dicku-kun wrote:

There's a curse though that once a console is successful, it's almost guaranteed that the company will get complacent and fail the next one lol.

If we're talking about Sony specifically that only really applies to the PS3 and even then calling that a failure is a reach.

Dicku-kun wrote:

Shawn Layden's firing might be the harbinger of that. Guess time will tell.

Did he resign or get fired?

Hoppy800 wrote:
but doubt I'll buy it anytime soon unless Sony offers a vast library of PS2 classics

PS3 didn't have it, PS4 didn't have don't think the 5 will have it either.
Firefly251

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2019 5:43 pm Reply with quote
ps4 alreayd ran very hot.

ps5 better tech AND RTX?

if it aint watercooled it is goign to thermal throttle in imho.
Fluwm

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2019 6:16 pm Reply with quote
At this point... all I care about is backwards compatibility.

If I can still use a PS5 to play all of my PS4 games, I'll probably buy one. Eventually.

If I can use a PS5 to play all of my digital PS1, PS2, PS3, PSP, PSV, or at least some two out of those five categories of digital games, it's a day one buy.

But I wouldn't hold my breath for either option.
OjaruFan2

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2019 6:19 pm Reply with quote
TsubomiKoneko wrote:
An idea of when it's coming out is nice, but... no clue on cost yet? I'm 'excited' to see how ridiculous the price is this time around.

It’s gonna cost $1,295.31 Wink
Maciste

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2019 6:19 pm Reply with quote
Hoppy800 wrote:
100 GB discs? Uhhh, Sony, you do realize that games have already topped 100 GB, that should've been a 300 GB blu-ray disc. Other than that, the system seems fine, but doubt I'll buy it anytime soon unless Sony offers a vast library of PS2 classics or stops censoring current gen games.

If a game's 300 GB big, it will be delivered on 3 discs. The real problem will be the storage volume.Let's say we're talking 2TB SSD, that's gonna be pricey.

Firefly251 wrote:

ps5 better tech AND RTX?

This.
The early PS4 and early PS4 PRO made a starting jet pale in comparison in terms of noise generation. I'm really interested in how they will tackle that problem. Either that, or I'll have to wait for the PS5 Mark II or III.
Tripple-A

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2019 6:30 pm Reply with quote
Hoppy800 wrote:

And those 300GB discs should work how exactly?
Just make it 2 discs for games that don't fit on one, back in the days there were games that had up to 4 discs (let's not forget floppy discs, that was insane).

Over all I still think it's too soon for the next gen, but I'm not surprised either that it's announced for holiday 2020. The new features for the controller look interesting, we'll see how well it's going to be used.
I think this time the Playstation will be a bit more expensive again, not so much as the PS3 but I don't think they can make such a low price as they did with the 4. In the end I'll wait about 2-3 years and wait for some games, hardware fixes and price drops.
SilverTalon01

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2019 7:43 pm Reply with quote
Firefly251 wrote:

ps5 better tech AND RTX?

I think it will do better on thermals this time around because AMD's new chips run pretty cool (well, new as in newer than AMD chips in current consoles). RTX is a sham so I wouldn't worry about it. It isn't worth using on even a 2080ti with a good gaming pc, and that card alone will cost more even in holiday season 2020 than the PS5 will cost.
hikura

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2019 8:49 pm Reply with quote
Nice to see backward compatibility.for the next gen.I thought the ps4 would have something for ps2 or ps1.
I'm just wondering about the price point.I might wait for a bit to get the ps5.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2