• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: 'Suppose a Kid From the Last Dungeon Boonies Moved to a Starter Town' Light Novels Get TV Anim

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kaori Makimura

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2019 9:07 am Reply with quote
What happened to Fantasy mechanics that weren't based on how video games work? You know, someone is just strong or magical and there aren't LEVELS and UPGRADES.

What happened to Fantasy characters that weren't genre savvy and self aware?
"IM GONNA LEVEL UPP AN THEN IM GONNA GRIND THRU A COUPLE OF DUNGEONS Smile"

Just please why?

...I hate how many 'fantasy' animes keep cropping up that just aren't up to snuff.
What happend to immersive, interesting stories and characters?

I miss shingeki no bahumut. Sad

...um and to be more on topic, maybe this anime will be good. I hope it is for people who like this oversaturated genre. Good luck.
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2019 10:31 am Reply with quote
Light Novel titles sound more and more like Saturday Night Live skits every day.
Andrew Cunningham

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2019 11:07 am Reply with quote
Kaori Makimura wrote:
What happened to Fantasy mechanics that weren't based on how video games work?

There's actually no video game mechanics in this book! The title is just a metaphor.

I'm translating the novels and manga, and it's a pretty great comedy series.
It's not a one-joke book; instead, it takes full advantage of the ensemble and follows a Baccano-style multiple plot threads that come together at the end structure.

Also name corrections:

Mary-> Marie
Aruka->Alka
Seren>Selen
Philo->Phyllo
HoboSoup

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2019 11:20 am Reply with quote
Kaori Makimura wrote:
What happened to Fantasy mechanics that weren't based on how video games work? You know, someone is just strong or magical and there aren't LEVELS and UPGRADES.

What happened to Fantasy characters that weren't genre savvy and self aware?
"IM GONNA LEVEL UPP AN THEN IM GONNA GRIND THRU A COUPLE OF DUNGEONS Smile"

Just please why?

...I hate how many 'fantasy' animes keep cropping up that just aren't up to snuff.
What happend to immersive, interesting stories and characters?

I miss shingeki no bahumut. Sad

...um and to be more on topic, maybe this anime will be good. I hope it is for people who like this oversaturated genre. Good luck.

I mean Goblin Slayer. It's not my favorite series, but I remember it entirely being a traditional fantasy adventure series, a bit like a D&D campaign.

Regular fantasy still exists, there's good manga that are such. We just haven't gotten Anime for them (yet?). Isekai is just a popular trend that SAO reignited and it's an easy power fantasy, on top of escaping your old life on earth. I do agree that the genre is over saturated but I just don't watch it when I don't want to. For me personally, taking time to hate a series/genre is too much emotional effort and negativity for my already busy and often chaotic life.
Ermat_46

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2019 11:33 am Reply with quote
I'm actually hoping that Netflix and Amazon will double down on their investment on anime so that we'll see actually quality anime unlike disposable seasonals like this one. Just look at Amazon's lineup this season: Babylon, Blade of the Immortal, Vinland Saga and Psycho-Pass 3. Netflix has Carole and Tuesday, Beastars and next season's Dorohedoro.
NoWayNoWay

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2019 12:15 pm Reply with quote
Andrew Cunningham wrote:
instead, it takes full advantage of the ensemble and follows a Baccano-style multiple plot threads that come together at the end

That actually sounds super cool! Are there any other male characters in the main cast aside from the protagonist? If there is and it's not just one boy surrounded by a million girls then I'm completely sold on it.
Andrew Cunningham

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2019 12:28 pm Reply with quote
NoWayNoWay wrote:
Andrew Cunningham wrote:
instead, it takes full advantage of the ensemble and follows a Baccano-style multiple plot threads that come together at the end

That actually sounds super cool! Are there any other male characters in the main cast aside from the protagonist? If there is and it's not just one boy surrounded by a million girls then I'm completely sold on it.

Yup! Allan Lidocaine, an axe-wielding tough guy whose arrogance is often his undoing, and Chrome Molybdenum, a former royal guard who now runs the restaurant Lloyd works at.
maximilianjenus

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2019 12:56 pm Reply with quote
lots of isekai has no videogame levels, the recently announced mushoku tensei only has ranks but not levels or anythign videogame esque at all.
kotomikun

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2019 2:08 pm Reply with quote
Andrew Cunningham wrote:
There's actually no video game mechanics in this book! The title is just a metaphor.

A metaphor for what? There's varying degrees of video-gameyness in these sorts of light novels, but a progression of dungeons/regions of increasing difficulty is certainly a video-game concept. Maybe they aren't literally dungeons, but Pokemon and most other RPGs do this. It also appears to have the ubiquitous system of wizards, fighters, ninjas, etc., which isn't strictly a video game thing but is very common in RPGs and "isekai-adjacent" LNs ("honey, I overpowered the protagonist" being a major isekai thing).
Albion Hero

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2019 2:26 pm Reply with quote
Ermat_46 wrote:
I'm actually hoping that Netflix and Amazon will double down on their investment on anime so that we'll see actually quality anime unlike disposable seasonals like this one. Just look at Amazon's lineup this season: Babylon, Blade of the Immortal, Vinland Saga and Psycho-Pass 3. Netflix has Carole and Tuesday, Beastars and next season's Dorohedoro.

I've got zero interest in any of those shows you posted, yet I'm certainly going to be watching this show and the 2 others also announced at the GA FES event. All the shows you listed are just casual bait for Western audiences, which is why Amazon and Netflix funds them. I'd much rather have more anime centric stuff like Isekai, harem, battle shonen etc, since thats why I watch anime in the first place.
Blanchimont

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2019 3:11 pm Reply with quote
Ermat_46 wrote:

The one I currently watch of that bunch is only Vinland Saga, and Carole and Tuesday but not on Netflix(meaning I already watched it to the end). I watched a lot more of those 'disposable seasonals' you mentioned the last season, and probably will in the coming season...
lossthief
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2019 3:21 pm Reply with quote
Ermat_46 wrote:

Netflix and Amazon have basically nithing to do with the pitching, creation, or even funding of any of those titles though. As far as I'm aware neither xompany is on the production committee for anything they're streaming ATM, and just purchased exclusive rights for streaming them.

And it's not like either service doesn't have a fair share of disposable-to-outright-trainwreck anime licenses. As somebody who's sat through Karakuri Circus, Ingress the Animation, 7SEEDS, and stuff I can't even begin to remember, they're as likely to pick up baf anime as any other company
Covnam

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2019 5:30 pm Reply with quote
Never read this, but it sounded interesting, so nice to see it animated so I can easily check it out Smile
ninjamitsuki

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2019 6:32 pm Reply with quote
I'm less concerned about game mechanics and more annoyed that every modern fantasy LN has to be a harem.

What happened to gender balanced casts like Slayers? Sad It seems to be an impossible requests for fantasy these days.
IanC

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2019 6:54 pm Reply with quote
Beatdigga wrote:
Light Novel titles sound more and more like Saturday Night Live skits every day.

I was going to make a similar comment. Im glad I've pretty much given up on anime now days. Jesus, I'm missing moe slice of life trash, and I hate moe.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2