• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Live-Action Cowboy Bebop Production Put on Hold for 7-9 Months Due to John Cho's Injury

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
fathomlessblue

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2019 8:32 pm Reply with quote
Take all the time that you need
Themaster20000

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2019 9:29 pm Reply with quote
That's never good to hear Sad
Lizuka

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2019 6:09 am Reply with quote
Hope he recovers soon, sounds pretty terrible.
JohnRhogan

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2019 3:07 pm Reply with quote
Genius, I tells ya. Best speedy recovery, cause I'm curious to see how this live-action adaptation turns out.
AntiKuro

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2019 6:25 pm Reply with quote
Would of rather they recast with the correct age, but hope it doesn't take him longer to recover.
anddo

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2019 12:22 am Reply with quote
All the best to that actor and all, but I can't wait for this to release to critical failure so it spurs Watanabe on to return to producing a new Cowboy Bebop anime. That would be the ideal scenario.
Scion Drake

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2019 12:45 am Reply with quote
anddo wrote:
All the best to that actor and all, but I can't wait for this to release to critical failure so it spurs Watanabe on to return to producing a new Cowboy Bebop anime. That would be the ideal scenario.

The ideal scenario is the live-action show just being good.

Why the hell would we need a new Bebop anime? The original is perfect as it is due to being made by the right people at just the right time. Whatever new anime will never be as good as the original so its better for that to never happen.

To say this will inspire a new Bebop anime is completely foolhardy & wishing for a product to be a critical failure is just a horribly rude thing to want.
Crispy45

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2019 1:36 am Reply with quote
anddo wrote:

The more shows Watanabe makes, the more obvious it is his true passion is music, but America refuses to let Cowboy Bebop die and will always hold it over the man's head as he tries to make his little music shows. I don't see him making Cowboy Bebop 2 short of another Toonami payoff like Space Dandy.
CrownKlown

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2019 2:05 pm Reply with quote
Crispy45 wrote:
anddo wrote:

The more shows Watanabe makes, the more obvious it is his true passion is music, but America refuses to let Cowboy Bebop die and will always hold it over the man's head as he tries to make his little music shows. I don't see him making Cowboy Bebop 2 short of another Toonami payoff like Space Dandy.

His two best shows are cowboy bebop and champloo. Of his major works 2 are Sci fi, one historical action , and two dramas based around music.

I think music is always an important element of his work but it's just an element .

That being said cowboy bebop is a rare show that probably should be left as is. A sequel would only be worth watching with spike and if that happened it would lose some of charm of the original where he could be dead or alive.
jdnation

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2019 12:34 pm Reply with quote
This will be a big delay. I still would've preferred Keanu...

As for more Bebop anime, I don't want any sequels. But another movie set within the show's timeline would be awesome.

That said, Watanabe's two recent shows turned out sub par. I'm referring to Terror in Resonance and Carole & Tuesday. Great ideas, great music, started out awesome but then just careerened into duds by the end. Terror spoiler[chickened out by not having casualties], and C&T just became very cliched and conviently wrapped things up.

I wasn't too into Space Dandy but it was different and had a lot of life and ended excellently. Kids on the Slope was good too. But outside of their main hooks, the last two didn't quite come together and lost steam halfway through.
russ869

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2019 10:53 pm Reply with quote
A netflix budget doesn't necessarily mean small. Altered Carbon looked pretty good, and was probably the most expensive 1st season of any show produced in history.
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2019 11:19 pm Reply with quote
Considering One Piece is supposed to have a budget of $9-$12 million an episode, a Netflix budget is nothing to sneeze at.

...I would have re-cast him.
Commander Cluck

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2019 5:20 am Reply with quote
Beatdigga wrote:
Considering One Piece is supposed to have a budget of $9-$12 million an episode, a Netflix budget is nothing to sneeze at.

...I would have re-cast him.

I'd argue 12 million an episode still isn't enough to work for One Piece in live-action.

But Cowboy Bebop can work. I mean, America's been doing space shows for decades. Cowboy Bebop is fairly grounded and would fit the Flyfly method of 'every planet is just a wild west set or a modern American city" I mean, I still think this is going to be an absolute disaster, but it can be a standard space cowboy show just fine on Netflix money.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1