• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
This Week in Anime - Is Ultramarine Magmell a Monstrous Mess?

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dop.L

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2019 3:19 pm Reply with quote
Can't believe you had that 'hardcore Fred Flintstone' pic and failed to use "Yabba-dabba-don't!"

Seriously, I'd heard a few bad things about this show before but reading this leaves me secure in the thought I don't have to waste time on it.
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2019 3:46 pm Reply with quote
I had totally forgotten that this show even existed. Good job making anime irrelevant Netflix.
harminia

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2019 4:19 pm Reply with quote
good god those monsters really do look like digimon rejects. there's no better way to describe them
Custom Apex

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2019 5:15 pm Reply with quote
Is it me or these This Week in Anime articles are more and more questionable? Like every time there's an Netflix original anime series comes out, they will be more mediocre or painfully average than the last.
Custom Apex

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2019 5:16 pm Reply with quote
Dop.L wrote:
Can't believe you had that 'hardcore Fred Flintstone' pic and failed to use "Yabba-dabba-don't!"

Seriously, I'd heard a few bad things about this show before but reading this leaves me secure in the thought I don't have to waste time on it.

Are all Netflix original anime series that bad to begin with?
v1cious

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2019 8:32 pm Reply with quote
Custom Apex wrote:
Dop.L wrote:

Devilman isn't.
Custom Apex

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2019 9:49 pm Reply with quote
v1cious wrote:
Custom Apex wrote:
Dop.L wrote:

Devilman isn't.

Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed Devilman Crybaby but anytime there is an new anime series streaming on Netflix, it could do more harm than good from what I read of these This Week in Anime articles.
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2019 10:47 pm Reply with quote
^They (and audiences) have liked a number of other Netflix anime than just Devilman, such as Carole & Tuesday, Aggretsuko, Baki, Kengan Ashura, Hi Score Girl, Kakegurui, Little Witch Academia. Also anime inspired animation (that Netflix puts in their anime section) like Castlevania and Seis Manos. I think this season’s Beastars is likely to join that club when it comes out. Any streaming service is going to have stronger and weaker titles, and Netflix is no exception. People wouldn’t complain about “Netflix Jail” if the stuff they licensed was never any good.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2019 6:00 am Reply with quote
Thank you for saying how awful the main characters are, feeling like borderline sociopaths.
Kirki

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2019 6:58 am Reply with quote
Feels nice to be confirmed. I only watched the first episode, gawked at how awful it was then got the hell out of there.

My only question is, it being so bad, it couldn't have been well received in Japan. Why waste money to release it worldwide? Or is this Netflix's common practice?

Beastars when?
Meongantuk

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2019 8:01 am Reply with quote
Kirki wrote:
Feels nice to be confirmed. I only watched the first episode, gawked at how awful it was then got the hell out of there.

My only question is, it being so bad, it couldn't have been well received in Japan. Why waste money to release it worldwide? Or is this Netflix's common practice?

Beastars when?

They licensed the series before its airing. They can't just cancel their license randomly.
AntiKuro

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2019 9:11 am Reply with quote
Custom Apex wrote:
Dop.L wrote:

I mean I thought Sirius the Jaeger was pretty good, and so was Little Witch. My husband loved the one where the guy dies and numbers pop up on him.

I can count on one hand though the number of Netflix Anime I like.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1