• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Saenai Heroine no Sodate-kata fine

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
yu_samson

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2019 5:23 pm Reply with quote
I just saw watched fine on Saturday in a packed theater!

At the cinema I went to, all showings that evening were completely sold out! I had no choice but to settle for the more expensive "Premium Seating" which is double the price of a Standard Seat because those were the only few seats remaining. As a special treat, all movie attendees were given a free gift which included a mini-novel side-story which centers on one of the characters (the character mini-novel you receive is random) plus an artboard illustration with a random image of one of the characters (may give movie-goers an incentive to watch the movie multiple times until they get the character art they want).

This film had quite the emotional impact. I won't spoil anything, but I can say that I left the theater feeling quite satisfied and a longing for...a...*ahem*...well, you know I mean...haha
Key

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2019 8:03 pm Reply with quote
Sounds like something to look forward to. Now the question is whether or not it will get a release in American theaters (and especially a wider one than the minimal "Rascal Does Not Dream. . ." movie).
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
BlueAlf

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2019 10:50 pm Reply with quote
It sounds like the years Kanta Kamei being invested in this series has finally paid off. Really sounds like a job well done.
JRPictures

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2019 3:40 am Reply with quote
Key wrote:
Sounds like something to look forward to. Now the question is whether or not it will get a release in American theaters (and especially a wider one than the minimal "Rascal Does Not Dream. . ." movie).

Aniplex USA made a U.S. website for the film and uploaded a subbed trailer so I'd say odds are pretty much guaranteed for some sort of cinema release.

Now whether they have any plans to put out (the still exclusively streaming on Amazon) S2 on disc before then is anyone's guess.
Ali07

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2019 8:07 am Reply with quote
Ah, so this is exactly what I hoped it would be, the ending of the series. I'm really hoping that Aniplex moves along and releases the 2nd season on disc...and then Madman can follow suit. And for the same to be done for this movie. Would love to own this whole series on disc.
kinghumanity

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2019 10:32 am Reply with quote
Quote:
there's pretty much no fanservice or horny camerawork going on here, especially when compared to the TV series.

Damn. What a shame.
Stampeed Valkyrie

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2019 10:45 am Reply with quote
So unless I am misinterpreting the review.. the LN leaves things unfinished?
Is this something the author plans on eventually completing or is the series done with at 11 volumes?

Its nice to see an anime actually have a resolution.. This series stood out due to the chemistry between the characters.. I hope this gets a US theatrical release as well.
AnimeFlyz

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2019 2:28 pm Reply with quote
Wait, so they just decided to completely skip 3 Volumes and then shove another 3 Volumes into a movie finale? Thats a pretty strange way to handle a series.
Frog-kun
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2019 5:36 pm Reply with quote
Stampeed Valkyrie wrote:
So unless I am misinterpreting the review.. the LN leaves things unfinished?
Is this something the author plans on eventually completing or is the series done with at 11 volumes?

The light novel series is 13 volumes long, and the 13th volume wraps up the series conclusively. This is the story that is adapted in the film. The film also has a post-credits scene that isn't in the novel.

To cinema goers they are also handing out an extra story written by the author, set one year after the events of the novels.
Ali07

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2019 6:46 am Reply with quote
Would love to see the LNs licensed (along with the extra story the audience in Japan can get at the cinema). But, if that never happens, at least this will be one of the few LN anime adaptions (that I'm a big fan of) that will give us the ending in animation.
BlackWolf26

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2020 9:55 am Reply with quote
I thoroughly enjoyed Saekano Fine owing to how well it brought closure to the series, but quite frankly, the wait for the Saekano Fine movie to go from Japanese theatre to BD was excessive. Thus, for the past 11 months, it appears that the idea that the movie skips over enough of the light novel to make the experience disjointed in some places, especially with regard to Tomoya’s character, has endured.

This is untrue: the film plainly establishes that Tomoya is getting close but struggling with some ideas. There is no need to go so far as to read the light novels, which aren’t available in North America anyways. The review thus implies that most English speakers would lose out if they can’t get the light novels, but after watching the movie, it is clear that this is definitely not the case. Other viewers report that the film is straightforward and fun to watch.

Finally, after reading this thread, it is clear that aside from the reviewer in the original article, no one else has seen this film: the responses and discussions suggest that at most, people had seen Twitter screenshots of movie goers and read their impressions of the film.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1