• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Incredible Artists of Kyoto Animation: Part 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Takkun4343

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2019 3:18 pm Reply with quote
It goes without saying that all of the losses here were unfortunate and tragic, but personally, Shoko Ikeda's passing hurts the most. Crying or Very sad I always liked her design contributions to the Haruhi franchise, to the point where I credited her as character designer on the one of my many hypothetical anime ideas I "attributed" to Kyoani. It's somewhat depressing I won't be able to see her do more designs like that, but for what it's worth, I didn't realize she did the designs for Euphonium until it was too late, so it doesn't mean I still can't enjoy them as if they were new, even if that enjoyment is technically posthumous. (Plus there's always the option of rewatching Haruhi.)

I also had a comment in mind for the English-translated title of the first Shin Chan movie, but I'll wait until there's a better place and time for that. Arrow
pluvia33

PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2019 11:15 am Reply with quote
Takkun4343 wrote:
It goes without saying that all of the losses here were unfortunate and tragic, but personally, Shoko Ikeda's passing hurts the most. Crying or Very sad I always liked her design contributions to the Haruhi franchise, to the point where I credited her as character designer on the one of my many hypothetical anime ideas I "attributed" to Kyoani. It's somewhat depressing I won't be able to see her do more designs like that, but for what it's worth, I didn't realize she did the designs for Euphonium until it was too late, so it doesn't mean I still can't enjoy them as if they were new, even if that enjoyment is technically posthumous. (Plus there's always the option of rewatching Haruhi.)

Agreed. Haruhi is my favorite series of all time, so this whole tragedy has been utterly heartbreaking, not to mention the significant number of other KyoAni works I've loved. I had made a little listing of the victims to help me remember them based on English and Japanese listings of their names, but I hadn't realized that Shoko Terawaki was Shoko Ikeda until I read this article. Flipping through a Haruhi artbook just made me start to cry all over again, especially in the back when they had blurbs about Shoko Ikeda, Futoshi Nishiya, Yasuhiro Takemoto, and had many coloring credits for Naomi Ishida on the individual pieces.
Yuki_Kun45
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2019 2:51 pm Reply with quote
I had no idea Shōko Ikeda was among the victims. I missed her when I read the full victims list a few months ago, didn't even notice the name Terawaki but if I had I still wouldn't have made the connection. I adore Sound! Euphonium and I love her Suzumiya character art as well. Crying or Very sad
Hiroki not Takuya

PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2019 7:43 pm Reply with quote
What strikes me in these articles is the youthfulness, most seem <35 years old. Really appreciate these articles to get more depth about people that weren't so famous but to see how accomplished they were. Still hurts so much to think what they had ahead of them that will never be now...
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1