• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The List - 5 Top Anime Opening Songs of Winter 2020

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
donhumberto

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2020 3:04 pm Reply with quote
Glad to see Pet's opening getting some love. Fantastic OP for a fantastic show (by far the best of the season IMO). Kinda funny to see how TK always manages to sing in some of my favorite series in the last 10 years (Psycho Pass, 91 days and now Pet)
Kirki

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2020 3:26 pm Reply with quote
donhumberto wrote:
Glad to see Pet's opening getting some love. Fantastic OP for a fantastic show (by far the best of the season IMO). Kinda funny to see how TK always manages to sing in some of my favorite series in the last 10 years (Psycho Pass, 91 days and now Pet)

Right? I still can't believe how it wasn't picked for weekly reviews. This and Iruma-kun. It will always remain a mystery for me!

I have a rule; I think the opening song is the window to the show. It usually shows all the things you need to know about it; plot elements, characters, but mainly, the artistic take the series has chosen to go with. Even the misleading ones. An interesting show will have an interesting opening. That is the rule, and yes there are exceptions, but now I'm really motivated to watch Dorohedoro because the opening just showed me something interesting!
kotomikun

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2020 3:48 pm Reply with quote
Easy Breezy is weird because, when actually hearing it, I found it grating and unpleasant. It's probably half the reason I've put off watching the show. But, playing it back in my head, it does seem catchy. Something about the way it's recorded ruins it for me.

Have not seen any of the other 4. The only memorable OP for me this season (so far) is the MHA one. Though my favorite theme overall is the ending to Asteroid In Love.
encrypted12345

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2020 3:51 pm Reply with quote
I like Seton Gakuen's op because it's audio and visual madness.

Interspecies Reviewers' op is my favorite one because the song itself is a reference to "YMCA" and "In the Navy" while the differing walking animations of the protagonists to reflect their varying moods is hilarious.
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2020 4:19 pm Reply with quote
Why do I have to be reminded that Dorohedoro will be in Netflix jail for who knows how many months.
Raiyou

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2020 5:48 pm Reply with quote
No mention of Black Catcher Black Clover OP10! Easily the best OP of winter, best opening of the year 2020 and most likely best opening of the decade 2020s.

Possibly the worst article ever published on ANN.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J0CNH5mOlaA
best meme version
Gem-Bug

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2020 7:24 pm Reply with quote
kotomikun wrote:
Easy Breezy is weird because, when actually hearing it, I found it grating and unpleasant. It's probably half the reason I've put off watching the show. But, playing it back in my head, it does seem catchy. Something about the way it's recorded ruins it for me.

It's been stuck in my head so hard that I kinda can't stand it anymore. :/
Hiroki not Takuya

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2020 8:31 pm Reply with quote
encrypted12345 wrote:
...Interspecies Reviewers' op is my favorite one because the song itself is a reference to "YMCA" and "In the Navy" while the differing walking animations of the protagonists to reflect their varying moods is hilarious.
Strong second from me! Also, while I haven't heard too many openers this season, that of Infinite Dendrogram I think is worth a listen (good music).
Tanteikingdomkey

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2020 12:09 am Reply with quote
Hiroki not Takuya wrote:
encrypted12345 wrote:
...Interspecies Reviewers' op is my favorite one because the song itself is a reference to "YMCA" and "In the Navy" while the differing walking animations of the protagonists to reflect their varying moods is hilarious.
Strong second from me! Also, while I haven't heard too many openers this season, that of Infinite Dendrogram I think is worth a listen (good music).

By virtue of this anime season having overall weak ops, a ridiculous YMCA gag op is actually good enough for me to go you know what good work. Media Blasters will have quite a hit on their hands....if they live that long. speaking of gag ops shout out to isekai quartet 2

When I say weak OPs btw I am staring at railgun T(flipside) and some others (groups) who have done far better in the past and flopped this time. Or did clipshow OPs that look like place holders for the actual animation COUGH ID:INVADED COUGH

Black clover 10 is the only stand out OP besides ezuoken, because they are the only actually notable ones that are LEGALLY viewable ATM.
It was actually hard to find 5 worthy choices to pick actually.
BladeBlur

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2020 4:00 am Reply with quote
Can I just address how a lot of those "best OPs lists" don't feature any entries from recurring anime? I think it's a shame there are a lot of really great songs this season but they won't be mentioned because they are maybe the 2nd or 10th OP of a show that's not debuting this season.

Black Clover OP10
My Hero Academia OP7
Ahiru no Sora OP2
Nanatsu no Taizai OP7

and the list goes on. I am not saying the choices listed are bad or anything, but I kind of wish recurring shows got their spotlight as well. Black Clover in particular deserves the biggest shoutout.
64BitRatchet

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2020 9:29 am Reply with quote
Netflix has nothing to do with Fairy Gone, Funimation licensed that series.
Maidenoftheredhand

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2020 9:42 am Reply with quote
I am going to disagree with you about Pet. It should be number 1

The ending is great too
Tanteikingdomkey

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2020 10:08 am Reply with quote
BladeBlur wrote:
Can I just address....
Black Clover OP10
My Hero Academia OP7
Ahiru no Sora OP2
Nanatsu no Taizai OP7

Yay none of those are on the list of options to vote on them...

So let's try doing this again shall we...
So black clover op 10 is about 2.5 times the votes that have new op have (number 2).
So the fact that the top 2 can not be voted on in the poll is just sad and a huge oversight.
The black clover anime overall is weak and problematic especially compared to the manga, but the ops they put out are almost all actually very good generally.

https://youtu.be/FYGELjbsZmc
Swissman

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2020 11:06 am Reply with quote
Raiyou wrote:
No mention of Black Catcher Black Clover OP10! Easily the best OP of winter, best opening of the year 2020 and most likely best opening of the decade 2020s.

I've just watched the opening for the first time, and I don't see what makes this one so different from countless other rockpop oriented openings which have been in vogue for a long time now. Is it the piano? The visuals? The singing? ...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Chrono1000

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2020 1:34 pm Reply with quote
My top 5 for the season would be Magia Record, Toilet-Bound Hanako-kun, Seton Academy, Interspecies Reviewers, and Darwin's Game.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2