• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Toonami Programming Block Moves to 3-Hour Length

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Arale Kurashiki

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2020 5:44 am Reply with quote
So four unannounced shows?

Is now finally the time for us to get our hopes up for Big O Season 3
Hikifroggy

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2020 5:53 am Reply with quote
^ if that were to happen i would be shocked lol
RommieSG

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2020 6:59 am Reply with quote
Trimming the fat is good. Less fluff for shows out of season, but I do miss the days of late night Bebop and Outlaw Star.
DjangoDCCX

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2020 6:59 am Reply with quote
I agree. Toonami doesn't need to last the entire night if all they air at the tail end is reruns, especially in the age of streaming. It's good that they also let everyone know that this was their decision since fanboys are always so quick to assume the network is screwing over their favorite show.

I do lament that Toonami will be starting at 1130pm EST, even though the 11pm slot works for them. Are there any live sporting events or conflicting programs (besides Saturday Night Live) that could hurt Adult Swim's ratings (not that it really matters since no one else watches TV on Saturday night and all cable networks are bleeding viewers anyways)? If not, I don't think it would hurt to at least start an hour earlier.
CastMember1991

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2020 8:47 am Reply with quote
No more Dragon Ball, eh? That’s a shame. More anime from Toei Animation would be nice.
MoonPhase1

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2020 9:01 am Reply with quote
CastMember1991 wrote:
No more Dragon Ball, eh? That’s a shame. More anime from Toei Animation would be nice.

It was airing on Saturday at 8PM recently, but it’s been replaced with an hour of reruns of Season 4 of My Hero Academia.

But without Dragonball, One Piece, Saint Seiya with PreCure(Glitter Force) going to Netflix, etc. there really isn’t anything for them to show of Toei titles except for maybe the female Saint Seiya series since Crunchyroll has that one and not Netflix even if technically Toei only Produced that one with Gonzo doing the Animation.

Sailor Moon is another option, but might cost a lot for the original series and Crystal is not done yet.
blahmoomoo

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2020 9:08 am Reply with quote
CastMember1991 wrote:

They are still posting episodes of Kai in VOD form. But before that it was airing at 8PM before MHA started back up, so it was technically an Adult Swim showing, not part of the Toonami block.
FlyGuySempai

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2020 10:05 am Reply with quote
Who still watches Toonami anymore? The block has been unwatchable trash since 2017.
Horsefellow

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2020 10:37 am Reply with quote
FlyGuySempai wrote:
Who still watches Toonami anymore? The block has been unwatchable trash since 2017.

I'm honestly surprised Toonami is still a thing in this day and age where everything is simulcasted. Why wait week by week to watch something that's already fully available online?
blahmoomoo

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2020 10:48 am Reply with quote
Horsefellow wrote:
FlyGuySempai wrote:

I'm honestly surprised Toonami is still a thing in this day and age where everything is simulcasted. Why wait week by week to watch something that's already fully available online?

They did/are premiering the dubs for JoJo and Lupin. Aside from that, they also at least co-produced the new FLCL series, and there are more of those to come eventually, as seen in this news article.
ECW28

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2020 10:58 am Reply with quote
FlyGuySempai wrote:

Lots of people do. I think the best thing about the block is the live discussions that happen on the unofficial subreddit and discord servers. Thats just one motivation. Secondly, I have services such as FuniNow, i just prefer to watch week by week on Toonami, binging things, unless its on Blu Ray/DVD, just isn’t my style.
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2020 11:17 am Reply with quote
Toonami is trying to find its footing in an age of streaming and simuldubs, where anime is on all the major streaming services without fear of edits (unless it’s a certain softcore show whose opening is a riff on “In the Navy”) and it’s tough. If people want to see MHA they probably watch it on their own time via Hulu or the like. This is probably why they’re dipping their toes into original productions like Uzumaki.
micah007

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2020 11:29 am Reply with quote
Horsefellow wrote:
FlyGuySempai wrote:

Some of us like the nostalgia/tradition of it all. I make it a habit to have it on in the background on late saturday nights while working. There is also a social aspect that's still prevalent within the community from the live discussions.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2020 12:17 pm Reply with quote
Horsefellow wrote:
FlyGuySempai wrote:

Quite simply, not everyone is in to streaming.
Яeverse

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2020 12:24 pm Reply with quote
DjangoDCCX wrote:
I agree. Toonami doesn't need to last the entire night if all they air at the tail end is reruns, especially in the age of streaming. It's good that they also let everyone know that this was their decision since fanboys are always so quick to assume the network is screwing over their favorite show.

I do lament that Toonami will be starting at 1130pm EST, even though the 11pm slot works for them. Are there any live sporting events or conflicting programs (besides Saturday Night Live) that could hurt Adult Swim's ratings (not that it really matters since no one else watches TV on Saturday night and all cable networks are bleeding viewers anyways)? If not, I don't think it would hurt to at least start an hour earlier.

I did have issues with Saturday Night Nascar races, that usually caused issues when toonami was getting to even like 10:30 or so, 11 and 11:30 if there were like rain delays/crashes, etc.

Personally I had more issues when they start before 11:30 or midnight, as people have social lives and to race home from those to be there for the early show(s) is hard.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3