• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Sonic the Hedgehog Film Earns US$57 Million for Best Video Game Movie Debut Ever in U.S.

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kougeru

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2020 3:03 pm Reply with quote
Anecdotal but I know a ton of people that went to see it just to support the fact that they listened to fan outrage. They were not super interested at first but wanted to respond to the studio taking their feedback. "They'd have no reason to listen next time if we didn't even watch it after they listened to our complaints. "
LegitPancake

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2020 3:12 pm Reply with quote
Sunday isn't even over yet so that number can't be accurate.
yurigasaki

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2020 5:16 pm Reply with quote
so proud of this soft blue little man
Silver Kirin

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2020 6:39 pm Reply with quote
Good to know that Sonic won the weekend, maybe this means that a sequel could be in the making soon.
I wonder how the movie is doing internationally, here in Argentina arround 50.000 people went to see it since it opened last thursday, those are good numbers. It'll be interesting how the movie will do in Japan though, from what I've heard Sonic is not as popular as other characters like Mario despite being created by a Japanese company.
PseudoFiction

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2020 7:06 pm Reply with quote
Kougeru wrote:
Anecdotal but I know a ton of people that went to see it just to support the fact that they listened to fan outrage. They were not super interested at first but wanted to respond to the studio taking their feedback. "They'd have no reason to listen next time if we didn't even watch it after they listened to our complaints. "

This really validates my lack of opinion on the matter. I can't think of a worse reason to see a movies than seeing one out of some bizarre obligation.
ranran-001

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2020 7:59 pm Reply with quote
PseudoFiction wrote:
Kougeru wrote:

This really validates my lack of opinion on the matter. I can't think of a worse reason to see a movies than seeing one out of some bizarre obligation.

How so? If fans cared enough that they rose a big stink about how bad Sonic looked, and the movie studio did a rework because of said fan back lash. It would be a real asshole thing to do to not go to the movie after that.
residentgrigo

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2020 8:11 pm Reply with quote
Some films get saved by China, this one won´t even need that boost. Not that the Chinese market is currently open. Paramount might have a franchise here and with Sega. I´ll take a Panzer Dragoon film if possible, thanks.

The film is whatever and I only liked Jim Carrey in 2 scenes (his dance and the very last one where he finally becomes his game character) but it would like if he returned to larger film roles after having found success here. The kids of today don´t even know who he is. His current show Kidding is great though and his best work in years.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
CastMember1991

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2020 9:06 pm Reply with quote
Saw the movie today. It was a great throwback to when movies were fun to watch. Not every non-animated and non-comedy movie released today has to be dark and grim.
Supermutant

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2020 9:12 pm Reply with quote
LegitPancake wrote:
Sunday isn't even over yet so that number can't be accurate.

Its an estimated amount. I'm guessing based on number of factors like pre sales and averages. Final numbers won't be out till tomorrow or tuesday (due to president's day holiday tomorrow)

Here is a quote how they do it "Theater owners report ticket sales on Friday and Saturday in real time, and major industry data services cover roughly 90 percent of theaters, so the numbers from the early weekend are fairly well-established by Sunday. Using these numbers, anyone with a bit of box office know-how can make a fairly good guess at Sunday's ticket sales and thus, at the total weekend box office."
ReifuTD

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2020 9:35 pm Reply with quote
residentgrigo wrote:
Some films get saved by China, this one won´t even need that boost. Not that the Chinese market is currently open. Paramount might have a franchise here and with Sega. I´ll take a Panzer Dragoon film if possible, thanks.

Well if Hasbro can try to build out movies off of toys SEGA should be able to do it off of games. To me a Puyo Puyo movie sounds fun, the games have great characters but thin on plot. A good writer could make something as good as Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs out of it.
Freyanne

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2020 10:58 pm Reply with quote
CastMember1991 wrote:
Saw the movie today. It was a great throwback to when movies were fun to watch. Not every non-animated and non-comedy movie released today has to be dark and grim.
Which is why I don't really care of most (current) superhero movies - a lot of them try to be (and are) this major, dark, grand scale epic "life-changing event going on" type of movie, and after a point it bores me. I actually enjoyed that Shazzam(?) movie that came out some time ago because it was a "lets have fun with this!!" superhero movie. Same with Spider-verse.

I had so much fun watching the Sonic movie because it wasn't trying to take it self too seriously. And seeing Jim Carrey act over-the-top crazy as Robotnik/Eggman made me realized how I missed it when he would do movies like that in the 90s/early 00s.
residentgrigo

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2020 12:40 am Reply with quote
I didn't realize that James Marsden was the human lead until just now. He is 46 now. Cylcops don´t crack.

Sega had a Yakuza movie and 2 TV drama (the one based on the PSP games had 2 seasons). It may be the biggest modern non-Sonic IP to them in terms of licensing but those adaptations only appeal to one market. Unless you want to count Megaten. Which should be right behind Sonic. Life-action Persona X Netflix but in America and no religious/transgressive elements. A scary thought. What they have: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Sega_video_game_franchises
Headhunter, hm.

Edit: There were 2 House of the Dead films. Thanks Uwe.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
ReifuTD

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2020 8:14 am Reply with quote
residentgrigo wrote:
Edit: There were 2 House of the Dead films. Thanks Uwe.

Because there where movies made I wounder where the movie right go with that franchise?

I'd love to see a proper adaption, When I think of House of the Dead at lease when it comes to the first game, it's two people trying to clear out a building of Zombies fighting teeth and nail as the game's Mutant Bosses show up out of the wood works and the MCs have to figure out how to deal with each weird creature. The plot is moved as they find experiments and talk to survivors. The tone should feel a little like watching Men In Black with Zombies.

My question is should the Zombies have red blood or green blood? Red blood is great of you want to make a gritty R rated movie. But I think green blood opens up for more funny splatstick specially if you want to go PG 13, like in Men in Black how they show aliens get splatters and their blood overs people and it's played for laughs. Green blood Zombies could get their heads blown off and cover people in green slime.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2020 1:00 pm Reply with quote
residentgrigo wrote:

The film is whatever and I only liked Jim Carrey in 2 scenes (his dance and the very last one where he finally becomes his game character) but it would like if he returned to larger film roles after having found success here. The kids of today don´t even know who he is. His current show Kidding is great though and his best work in years.

.....The reason for why he's had smaller roles from his heyday in the 90's is because much like Eddie Murphy he's put out not very good movies to say nothing of his brand of humor not being for everyone. Plus I don't see him going back to making larger roles anyway dude's approaching 60 after all.

Freyanne wrote:
Which is why I don't really care of most (current) superhero movies - a lot of them try to be (and are) this major, dark, grand scale epic "life-changing event going on" type of movie, and after a point it bores me. I actually enjoyed that Shazzam(?) movie that came out some time ago because it was a "lets have fun with this!!" superhero movie.

I mean it does help that Billy Batson is a kid so all those darker elements would've felt a tad bit out of place anyway.[[/url]
DavetheUsher

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2020 4:42 pm Reply with quote
The gamers finally rose up Laughing Kinda funny Sonic of all things is the best performing video game movie though.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2