• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Sony, Bushiroad Cancel Event Attendance Due to COVID-19 Coronavirus Concerns

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
omiya

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2020 7:38 am Reply with quote
Banjo

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2020 2:30 pm Reply with quote
whenever I follow coronavirus news I hear evangelion's decisive battle in my head..
Top Gun

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2020 10:02 pm Reply with quote
I understand due concern about this situation, and canceling large-scale events in China itself and immediately-surrounding countries is certainly prudent, but Sony canceling an appearance halfway around the globe when the US has seen less than 20 overall cases makes far less sense. I mean it's not like PAX East itself is being canceled, so does Sony think there's some sort of inherent danger in having their representatives attend?
lossthief
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2020 10:08 pm Reply with quote
Top Gun wrote:
I understand due concern about this situation, and canceling large-scale events in China itself and immediately-surrounding countries is certainly prudent, but Sony canceling an appearance halfway around the globe when the US has seen less than 20 overall cases makes far less sense. I mean it's not like PAX East itself is being canceled, so does Sony think there's some sort of inherent danger in having their representatives attend?

I'd imagine it's not about the event they'd be attending, but rather the possible risks of international flights to get staff there in the first place.
Top Gun

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2020 11:34 pm Reply with quote
I mean if that's the concern, why not just have their US personnel handle the appearance? Sony Interactive Entertainment is based in California in the first place.
omiya

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2020 5:58 am Reply with quote
English page of Japanese Ministry of Health, Labour and Welfare, "About Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19)":

https://www.mhlw.go.jp/stf/seisakunitsuite/bunya/newpage_00032.html
enurtsol

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2020 6:14 am Reply with quote
Nintendo will still be there though
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1