• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Carole & Tuesday - Episodes 13-24 Streaming

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Key

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2020 2:14 pm Reply with quote
When I first finished watching the second half, my initial impression is that the series was being overly optimistic and giving too light a treatment to the political issues it was raising. After ruminating on it for a while, I came to pretty much the same conclusion that James did: that was the whole point. This wasn't meant to fully be realistic, but instead a direct attack on cynicism. Given what's going on in the world these days, the timing of the series' release couldn't have been more perfect.

While I hadn't thought about it at the time I watched the series, I also absolutely agree that this is Watanabe's most complete work, arguably even oven Bebop; while the latter ended on a note of finality, that series as a whole was more a collection of ideas and concepts than an actual narrative. C&T, OTOH, is a wholly-unified story from its first scene to its last, with very little in the middle to sidetrack it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
meiam

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2020 2:34 pm Reply with quote
So the second half is a case of "let's hold hand and sing kumbaya"? I guess that sorta fit the theme, but leave things kinda light. I dunno, watching a show whose point is just "wouldn't it be great if things were great?" doesn't seems all that compelling.
Dark Mac

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2020 8:38 pm Reply with quote
Carole and Tuesday was made by Bones, not Sunrise.
KitKat1721

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2020 2:04 am Reply with quote
Honestly, I was super disappointed by this show, outside of its stunning production values and great music. So many story threads and character arcs felt half-baked, offered few new insights, or even had a satisfying conclusion to be honest. The only reason its not my least favorite major work by Watanabe is because Terror in Resonance exists.
Gennaro Esposito

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2020 6:42 am Reply with quote
Dark Mac wrote:
Carole and Tuesday was made by Netflix USA, not Bones.

Fix'ed
Gennaro Esposito

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2020 6:53 am Reply with quote
Key wrote:
When I first finished watching the second half, my initial impression is that the series was being overly optimistic and giving too light a treatment to the political issues it was raising. After ruminating on it for a while, I came to pretty much the same conclusion that James did: that was the whole point. This wasn't meant to fully be realistic, but instead a direct attack on cynicism. Given what's going on in the world these days, the timing of the series' release couldn't have been more perfect.

While I hadn't thought about it at the time I watched the series, I also absolutely agree that this is Watanabe's most complete work, arguably even oven Bebop; while the latter ended on a note of finality, that series as a whole was more a collection of ideas and concepts than an actual narrative. C&T, OTOH, is a wholly-unified story from its first scene to its last, with very little in the middle to sidetrack it.

No hard feeling, but your review it's just ridicoulous. This site has literally destroyed much better anime than this one in the past, why doesn't this one deserve the same treatment? Only because has a good technical department? I read on this very site a few years ago that a good technical department is not enough to save a messed anime. Why this should be different? Only because this Watanabe guy supervise the work? That's BS. An anime should be judged individually, not by the staff working on them, it's a bad yardstick. And this anime makes no sense, the plot is nonexistent and full of holes as well as entertainment. Don't you agree? After I've seen this anime I made a review on MAL about only a bunch of the many, many meaningless things this anime has, before I grow tired of writing the review. I repost the review here, feel free to try to adress my points but I warn you, grasping at straws like you did on your review doesn't work with me.

Quote:
Probably the soullest anime I've ever watched in 10 years. But putting that aside, does anything that happens in this show make any sense? I mean, Why do the police want to stop a simple concert behind closed doors, threating singers like terrorists? Who do these police work for, since we're never told who's in government but only told about the upcoming elections? Why did they interrupt telling us the personal career story of our main characters out of nowhere, without proper explanations? Why does people go to jail overnight without a proper trial? (I'm talking about the rappers, but also the fat man and the other person when they go to free the blonde main character). Why isn't the blond-haired main character's past being investigated? They dedicated something like 30 seconds to her in an episode saying that she was locked in the house for vague and unexamined reasons and then nothing more, is that all? For real? How can they find members to found a band literally out of thin air? And who are these people, why apart from not going into their story, they're not even introduced properly? Why there is a scene where out of nowhere some cops never seen before start to bother some random people never seen before that were walking down the street peacefully? Why does Madam President first say that every means is necessary to get into power but then completely change her mind in the course of like 30 seconds? Why do the protagonists meet the hermit VIP and the first thing they do is ask him his gender? Why did they let this hermit die first and then resurrect him in the last episode, what's the point and what adds to the plot this plot-twist applied to a forgettable side character? Man... and I could still keep telling nonsense this show has for hours, but I don't want to waste any more precious time on this trainwreck...
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1