• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Evangelion Announces Escape Rooms Across Japan For June

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
strawberry_milk

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2020 7:45 pm Reply with quote
An escape room where the puzzle is trying to solve it while social distancing.
Kougeru

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2020 8:07 pm Reply with quote
yeah that's also not happening
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2020 8:18 pm Reply with quote
June opening date seems a bit dreaming or oblivious, considering things.
Top Gun

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2020 9:21 pm Reply with quote
Japan's attitude toward this is making the US response seem timely, and that's a terrifying thought.
3rdImpakt

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2020 9:24 pm Reply with quote
You all realize the situation in Japan is much different than in the US, right? I just feel like every article I've seen concerning the virus and Japan, the commenters are looking at it from an American perspective and how CRAZY Japan is in their handling of things. They're losing their minds.

For some perspective, the US has a population of 327 million spread out over 9.8 MILLION km2. Japan has a population of 127 million spread over 378 thousand km2. I'm mentioning the area do emphasize the closeness in proximity of of the people. You think SO many more people would obviously get sick, right?

Well, the US currently has 367,461 cases while Japan only has 3,654.. Given the populations and and how they are WAY more crammed together, Japan should be well, well over 150,000 cases. On top of that, there has been no quarantine this entire time and theatres and the like have been open carrying on like usual, so there should be EVEN MORE. This is of course IF things were handled anything like the US... In which case the country would likely be finished. Abe has announced a month long lock down to major cities (which is where most of the new cases are coming from). If the numbers are already so low, implementing more strict measures on a population that actually listen to government and PM in those areas will definitely help decrease new cases even further.

Maybe, just maybe, the Japanese are doing just fine with how they're handling things. Their culture isnt very hands on, they already often wear masks if they think they're sic or it's flu season and they are very sanitary and generally have quite good hygiene. I'm just getting real tired of people applying their own perspectives to a country where they seem very unaware of the situation.
strawberry_milk

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2020 10:34 pm Reply with quote
3rdImpakt wrote:
I'm just getting real tired of people applying their own perspectives to a country where they seem very unaware of the situation.

Fair enough.

Though considering no one knows when this pandemic will end, selling tickets to events in a couple months is at least deserving of constructive criticism.
3rdImpakt

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2020 11:15 pm Reply with quote
strawberry_milk wrote:
3rdImpakt wrote:
I'm just getting real tired of people applying their own perspectives to a country where they seem very unaware of the situation.

Fair enough.

Though considering no one knows when this pandemic will end, selling tickets to events in a couple months is at least deserving of constructive criticism.

Yah, you aren't wrong either. Sorry if I came off a bit more combative than I intended in the last message. They're definitely trying to forge on ahead with things. The article says that the escape rooms in Tokyo and Osaka are closed for the time being (which is where over half of the entire countries infections are). I don't see why it isn't conceivable to hold these events by June assuming things don't get horrendously worse at least in some less affected prefectures. Again the infection numbers are really low. My Prefecture of Miyazaki for example ( which has a population of 1 million) only has 10 people infected.
#sukkar

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2020 12:23 am Reply with quote
3rdImpakt wrote:

Maybe, just maybe, the Japanese are doing just fine with how they're handling things. Their culture isnt very hands on, they already often wear masks if they think they're sic or it's flu season and they are very sanitary and generally have quite good hygiene. I'm just getting real tired of people applying their own perspectives to a country where they seem very unaware of the situation.

Many Japanese people are angry at Abe for taking so long to do anything in the first place. It's not just from an "American or western perspective", it's something that is frustrating Japanese citizens. Kids have had to stay home for over a month but their parents are still expected to go to work, so childcare is a huge problem at the moment.

There's also the strange coincidence that numbers of infection started to go up as soon as the Olympics were officially postponed. Abe's a businessman first and foremost (he's skipping Aichi as part of the declaration despite its numbers being very high. why? probably because Toyota has a bunch of factories there) The Japanese media is constantly talking about the threat of a spike, as are medical professionals here.

This is very much an issue to Japanese people.
3rdImpakt

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2020 12:33 am Reply with quote
#sukkar wrote:
3rdImpakt wrote:

Many Japanese people are angry at Abe for taking so long to do anything in the first place. It's not just from an "American or western perspective", it's something that is frustrating Japanese citizens. Kids have had to stay home for over a month but their parents are still expected to go to work, so childcare is a huge problem at the moment.

There's also the strange coincidence that numbers of infection started to go up as soon as the Olympics were officially postponed. Abe's a businessman first and foremost (he's skipping Aichi as part of the declaration despite its numbers being very high. why? probably because Toyota has a bunch of factories there) The Japanese media is constantly talking about the threat of a spike, as are medical professionals here.

And I can assure you the majority of people talking shit on these forums aren't Japanese. The numbers worldwide spiked as soon as the Olympics were officially postponed so you can take off your tinfoil hat, it was a rough week, especially in the states. People are going to complain in any situation like this, I think they should be thankful "some issues in finding childcare" are their biggest problems considering what's going on across the world.

Again, the numbers speak for themselves. When this is all said and done Japan is going to be seen as an absolutely anomoly, a miracle compared to every other country in the world statistically speaking. Absolute worst case scenario there is a spike in cases (will still be low comparatively speaking) and a more serious quarantine will be enforced... Except it will actually work because Japanese citizens would take their government/authority very seriously. The government knows this and it's why they can walk this fine line and keep things running with such record low numbers.
strawberry_milk

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2020 1:59 am Reply with quote
3rdImpakt wrote:
The article says that the escape rooms in Tokyo and Osaka are closed for the time being (which is where over half of the entire countries infections are). I don't see why it isn't conceivable to hold these events by June assuming things don't get horrendously worse at least in some less affected prefectures.

There won't be a vaccine and probably not even a treatment for COVID-19 by June. Social distancing has been shown to be the most effective plan we currently have to prevent things from getting horrendously worse. An escape room is the very definition of not social distancing, so maybe don't buy tickets yet, eh? Wink
3rdImpakt

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2020 2:12 am Reply with quote
strawberry_milk wrote:
3rdImpakt wrote:
The article says that the escape rooms in Tokyo and Osaka are closed for the time being (which is where over half of the entire countries infections are). I don't see why it isn't conceivable to hold these events by June assuming things don't get horrendously worse at least in some less affected prefectures.

There won't be a vaccine and probably not even a treatment for COVID-19 by June. Social distancing has been shown to be the most effective plan we currently have to prevent things from getting horrendously worse. An escape room is the very definition of not social distancing, so maybe don't buy tickets yet, eh? Wink

I agree...the point of that was sort of leading in to the next sentence I wrote referring to it happening in less affected areas, such as my prefecture that's only had 10 cases in over a million people. Again, like the article says, the escape rooms in affected areas are closed and I only can only assume they will remain closed since this was before the emergency that was announced Tuesday. Other areas of Japan are essentially unaffected by the virus, and this is still 2 months away.
#sukkar

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2020 3:52 am Reply with quote
3rdImpakt wrote:
#sukkar wrote:
3rdImpakt wrote:

And I can assure you the majority of people talking shit on these forums aren't Japanese. The numbers worldwide spiked as soon as the Olympics were officially postponed so you can take off your tinfoil hat, it was a rough week, especially in the states. People are going to complain in any situation like this, I think they should be thankful "some issues in finding childcare" are their biggest problems considering what's going on across the world.

Again, the numbers speak for themselves. When this is all said and done Japan is going to be seen as an absolutely anomoly, a miracle compared to every other country in the world statistically speaking. Absolute worst case scenario there is a spike in cases (will still be low comparatively speaking) and a more serious quarantine will be enforced... Except it will actually work because Japanese citizens would take their government/authority very seriously. The government knows this and it's why they can walk this fine line and keep things running with such record low numbers.

This is all anecdotal but I *live* in Japan, in Tokyo. People here are angry and upset. The reactions I'm talking about are those online and in person from Japanese people. The childcare issue is huge because the Japanese government's supplemental financial support program is laughably small compared to what the living costs of a family here are. Parents still have to go to work which means many of them are afraid of getting their kids sick.

There's also the issue of hospitals fearing they'll run out of beds soon. There is already a plan underway to house patients with mild symptoms in hotels and officials in lower population areas are worried that people might try to "escape" Tokyo and put a strain on their capacities. It's a potential snowball effect here.

Yes, it is by no means as bad as places like China, Italy, or the US, but it's still an issue here that has people on edge. And this isn't helped by things like Abe and Koike being political rivals who don't like to play nice.
Calsolum

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2020 6:56 am Reply with quote
That sounds surprising but if they can make it work go for it, I certainly would not be spend money on something like this. Maybe a virtual escape room? Like have the participants in different rooms where they have to solve digital puzzles or something if you really really wanted to do this if things don't get better. I imagine that'd be costly and take up a bit of space.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1