• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
ANNCast (Final) - Zac Bertschy Memorial

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
m3g4t0ky0

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2020 10:27 pm Reply with quote
Thank you for putting this tribute together, Justin. You will be missed, Zac.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
FinalVentCard
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2020 10:31 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, that's me you're hearing at 1:13:55.

I found Zac in this site 13 years ago. I've stuck around since.

The guy did a lot not just for me, but for all of us. And I'm really gonna miss him.

I cried a few times watching this live on Twitch. Not sure I'm all cried-out yet, but we'll see.

I'm gonna miss Zac.
Folium

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2020 10:31 pm Reply with quote
I've lurked for so long, but I was an avid listener to ANNCast and loved engaging with Zac's writing. It is going to be so much harder going forward to find all those weird and beautiful movies that he loved to talk about. I'm going to miss you so much Zac.
Cait

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2020 10:41 pm Reply with quote
Anime fandom won't be the same without him. It was comforting to see so many people, like me, who never knew him personally, but still felt his loss terribly and came out to say goodbye. Peace be with us all.
kawaiibunny3

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2020 10:55 pm Reply with quote
I was here for the very first ANNcast, all the ones over the years and I never imagined this would be how I would hear the last.

But more importantly, thank you to Justin and all the speakers for putting this together, it really was a beautiful tribute that I was glad to listen in on live (I didn't join in the chat since I don't have twitch account but I was there from start to finish).

Much love and condolences to all of you, I know Zac would be proud to call you his friends.
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2020 10:55 pm Reply with quote
Thank you Justin for putting this moving memorial together and thank you everyone for all your thoughtful contributions. Anime fandom won't be the same without Zac and he touched so many people's lives. Listening to ANNCast helped me through a lot of difficult times over the years with my own personal struggles and I always enjoyed reading Zac's reviews. I was never close to him but I was glad for the times we chatted on Twitter and I always felt honored when he added me to his Twitter friends list. I miss Zac and his presence in the community.
Shadowrun20XX

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2020 11:00 pm Reply with quote
Rest in peace, Zac!
gsilver

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2020 11:12 pm Reply with quote
I've been here for what seems like forever... So sad to see him go. I never met him personally, but I've been reading the site (and listening to ANNCast) for so long that Zac has been a regular part of my life for as long as I can remember.

Thanks to everyone who contributed to this.
falseinfinity

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2020 11:33 pm Reply with quote
RIP Zac
KitKat1721

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2020 11:50 pm Reply with quote
I can't believe this is the final time I'll ever get to comment on an ANNCast post. I've been listening to this podcast for years and it was a cornerstone in my own journey into anime fandom. Zac's leadership and contributions for ANN in general had that effect on me. I loved his passionate deep dives into anime, movies, and just art in general - whether through the podcast, his own writing, or even just on twitter. It was the kind of passion that was contagious. In more recent years, I respected how strongly he defended and appreciated his team as an editor. I really wish I wasn't too nervous to say hello and tell him how much this space meant to me back at Otakon a couple years.

This memorial was really touching and beautiful. Thank you Justin for organizing this and thank you everyone who contributed their stories and memories. Even though I was just a longtime fan who didn't know him personally, I'm really going to miss him.
PusoPimp

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2020 11:50 pm Reply with quote
Hm, I hope it's not in poor taste that I say this and I get it why it's so but kinda a bummer that this is the end of ANNCast. But I guess it'd be weird without Zac. RIP Zac, sad you had to go, will miss hearing you talk anime, games and film. I gotta say I'm ashamed to admit but listening to Zac and Justin got me more comfortable with LGBT folks, not that I was ever hateful but not having grown up around a lot of gays I just felt odd about them...but in an odd way ANNCast helped me see gay guys are guys just like me who happen to like guys...duh lol. Now one of my best friends is a bisexual guy, been in a meaningful relationship with a pansexual woman, became close to a lot of LGBT people and recently even got the nerve kinda to admit to my friends on social media that I experience incidental attraction to guys and I'm not afraid of that anymore. Not gonna say that was ALL Zac, Justin and ANNCast but it helped a lot. So, thanks Zac!
CemeteryHill

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2020 12:01 am Reply with quote
RIP Zac
Never posted & don't use the site like I used to but felt the need to at least say RIP. Reading/listening to Zac & Justin as a teen in the mid-late 00's are such great memories for me who grew up as a lone Anime fan. I always enjoyed/envied their stories of Anime Club in school.
nightjuan

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2020 12:09 am Reply with quote
Thanks to Justin and everyone else involved. After so many people have expressed their feelings and thoughts about Zac so eloquently and passionately, I can only applaud them with a heavy heart.

I never knew Zac personally, but I'd like to think that we longtime readers and listeners got to experience at least a fraction of the genuine goodness and kindness of the man. I'll miss him. Once again, I hope he has finally found peace.

It's unfortunate that ANNCast will end under such tragic circumstances, no doubt, but it's also completely understandable. This isn't the time to worry about that. We'll always remember the work of Zac and so many other contributors to the podcast over the years with sincere appreciation for their time and effort.
Innerd

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2020 12:14 am Reply with quote
Hi.

I think I've never EVER written on the forums before. Please excuse me if something of what I write doesn't makes sense, is just that english isn't my first lenguaje.

I just wanted to say how truly sorry for this loss. I will really miss Zac, even though I never got to meet him, he was a very big inspiration for me. I can even remember the first podcast that I heard of ANN cast ( the Watamote one) and thinking "wow! this guy and his co hosts have really interesting points of view" and never missing an episode ever since. I even started a my own little podcast because I though ANN cast was so great that I wanted to try something like it. After that I also used to read everything Zac wrote. From the little I got to know of him from his writing and podcast, I think he was a great and sensitive guy and I'm so sorry the darkness inside him didn't let him see his true value.

It feel so weird, how sad you can be when someone you never even knew but admired is gone.

I hope everybody who did this memorial and his family are doing well.
jenthehen

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2020 12:15 am Reply with quote
I have these very distinctive memories of listening to the early ANNCASTs back in my tiny studio apartment during grad school while doing dishes. I never met Zac but his death came as a terrible shock, and within minutes of starting to listen to this memorial I just burst into tears. It was a wonderful tribute. Thank you. Zac (and ANNCAST) will be missed but his legacy remains.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4