• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Sonic the Hedgehog Film Gets Sequel

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
americananimotk

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2020 8:49 pm Reply with quote
I am hoping it involves Metal Sonic knowing that Dr. Robotnik still has that quill in his possession.
catbot158

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2020 9:35 pm Reply with quote
I remember an interview with the director after the movie's release; he said that if the movie was successful enough to get a sequel, the crew would be able to do whatever they want, not just the usual "character gets taken to the real world" plot.
This team seems to have a healthy respect for the Sonic Universe, so maybe they'll have other characters like Knuckles, or Amy, or hell, even Shadow!
Ali07

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2020 11:20 am Reply with quote
Happy with this news. I actually really liked how they wrote Sonic's character in this film. Enjoyed the movie a lot, and the post credits scene left me hoping for a 2nd movie. Don't know if they should jump in and introduce any other of the heroes from the Sonic games, but I do hope they go the Metal Sonic route.

Like americananimotk said, Robotnik still has the quill. Should do something with that. Laughing
CastMember1991

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2020 2:20 pm Reply with quote
catbot158 wrote:
I remember an interview with the director after the movie's release; he said that if the movie was successful enough to get a sequel, the crew would be able to do whatever they want, not just the usual "character gets taken to the real world" plot.
This team seems to have a healthy respect for the Sonic Universe, so maybe they'll have other characters like Knuckles, or Amy, or hell, even Shadow!

I would love to see a Kung-Fu Hustle style chase scene between Sonic and Amy. That would be hilarious.
TsubomiKoneko

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2020 6:15 pm Reply with quote
Happy to see this, I thoroughly enjoyed the movie and look forward to seeing what they do with a sequel.
RinKokonoe40

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2020 8:17 pm Reply with quote
Hype. Can't wait since I really liked the first film.
Slashman

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2020 8:32 pm Reply with quote
Yeah I was pleasantly surprised by the first film. Looking forward to the second one!
Lycosyncer

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2020 12:32 pm Reply with quote
Good news! I was pleasantly surprised by the first film and enjoyed it very well and funny enough, Sonic the Hedgehog was the last film I saw in theaters back in February before the outbreak occurred so I am at least glad I had a fond time at the theaters before everything went to hell for everyone in regards to the pandemic.

Anyways, glad to hear that the director and writers of the first film is confirmed to be coming back to do the sequel and I did remember hearing that if they are successful enough to earn a sequel, then they are free to go nuts with the sequel in exploring more of Sonic's world and now that we got that and judging by the mid-credits scene with spoiler[Tails and it's pretty obvious that Robotnik will come back to get his revenge], everything is ready to go for Sonic's next adventure!

Congrats to Sonic and Paramount for this win and who would have guessed that this would get a sequel first than Pokemon: Detective Pikachu? Then again, Paramount is desperate to get new film franchises under their belt and with their rough state in recent years, this is a long overdue win for them and who would have guessed that after all of that trouble last year with the original ugly design of Sonic and then pushing it back to redesign Sonic, it all paid off wonderfully for everyone involved in the end.
Silver Kirin

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2020 6:56 pm Reply with quote
It's incredible to see how this movie went from a laughingstock when the original Sonic design was revealed to a genuine hit. I did enjoy the movie, and I hope that they can incorporate more Sonic characters into the story and give Eggman more robots, perhaps if the budget is higher they can have as many CGI characters as Detective Pikachu did.
I just hope that Paramount won't try to cast celebrities to voice Sonic's friends, especially like they did in some foreign dubs in which they casted YouTubers to voice Sonic in different languages.
NJ_

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2020 7:14 pm Reply with quote
Silver Kirin wrote:
I just hope that Paramount won't try to cast celebrities to voice Sonic's friends

They already brought in Colleen O'Shaughnessy for the first film so there could be hope for the others or at least for her to reprise as Tails.
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2020 2:52 am Reply with quote
NJ_ wrote:

They already brought in Colleen O'Shaughnessy for the first film so there could be hope for the others or at least for her to reprise as Tails.
Though they could have cast Colleen when they didn't know how the movie was going to do and didn't want to go through the trouble of hiring a big name actor for a minor cameo. But now the movie is a success and there's always the possibility they could recast for a bigger name. But I guess it depends on Colleen's contract with Paramount.
Melicans

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2020 10:59 am Reply with quote
Lycosyncer wrote:

Congrats to Sonic and Paramount for this win and who would have guessed that this would get a sequel first than Pokemon: Detective Pikachu?

Detective Pikachu had a sequel announced before the film even came out.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1