• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Mr. Osomatsu Anime's 3rd Season Reveals Ending Theme Song

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
toprak

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2020 2:59 pm Reply with quote
I was considering regarding the anime, If I would get a spare time, would give a shot.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2020 5:25 pm Reply with quote
It really surprises me just how fast this property lost fan enthusiasm. Like Osomatsu-san merch was selling out everywhere after season 1 and then for season 2 barely anybody was buying season 2 merch. Doujin circles doing Osomatsu-san stuff plummeted very quickly. The weirdest thing is that I never really read any fan's complaints about season 2 or anything. I think it was just a lightning in a bottle thing.

For easy comparison since merch sales themselves are obfuscated and hard to track, here's the disc sales average between the two series.

Osomatsu-san (2015) - 66,770 per volume
Osomatsu-san 2nd Season (2017) - 10,314 per volume

It lost over 50k per volume in average disc sales in the space of 2 years! I'll be curious to see if the 3rd season changes anything.
crosswithyou

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2020 6:52 pm Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
It lost over 50k per volume in average disc sales in the space of 2 years! I'll be curious to see if the 3rd season changes anything.

Yeah I think the gap between the seasons made a huge difference. Sales would have probably been better if there were maybe only a half year to a year gap. It's kinda like Ao no Exorcist... The second season was really good and followed the manga, but it was just too long after the first season for it to gain any real traction. Sad because since the second season didn't do well despite its quality, the series is not likely to get a third season.

The only series I can think of off the top of my head where the years long gap between season doesn't have any downsides is Natsume Yuujinchou. That series (my favorite!) continues to sell well regardless of how long we have to wait between seasons.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2020 7:20 pm Reply with quote
A 2 year gap is absolutely nothing. Hell, it's smaller than most gaps.

For comparison, Bakemonogatari had a 79,201 average sales for volume. 3.5 years later, almost double the gap between Osomatsu-san's 2 seasons, the average volume sales for Nisemonogatari were 60,719. A much smaller percentage drop than that of Osomatsu-san's second series.

Uta no Prince-sama had 4 seasons all about 2 years apart and that had super consistent sales of around 30-35k average per volume.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1