• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Traveling Whimsical Roads with Izumi Matsumoto

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Triltaison

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2020 2:59 pm Reply with quote
Thank you for sharing this story with us. It's softened the blow a bit more and is very appreciated.
Gem-Bug

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2020 3:33 pm Reply with quote
It was my birthday, too. Sad

Thank you for sharing your stories of Matsumoto. <3

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2020 11:42 pm Reply with quote
Hi Kat, I made an account just to thank you for sharing this post.

I really regret not letting Izumi Matsumoto know how far his work reached and how much an American like me appreciated and truly enjoyed his work. I am thankful that you were able to deliver the message for me. Your post truly cheered me up, and I am relieved to see that his life had moments of joy despite his tragic condition.
Cutiebunny

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2020 2:46 am Reply with quote
Thank you for sharing your experiences with us. We probably met each other, even if only in passing, at PMX when Matsumoto was there in 2013. The picture of him sitting by the stuffed pink kitties was from PMX - I still remember that scarf. Always wondered if he enjoyed the tea I gave him...

I've met several artists by attending conventions across the US for the past decade or so, but Matsumoto, as well as Akihiro Kanayama, rank among my personal favorites. Both men were incredibly kind and humble despite both being dealt some crummy cards in life (In Kanayama's case, as a young child, his father was killed by American soldiers in WWII). I was impressed with how much effort Matsumoto put into his autograph sessions despite it appearing that he was in a lot of pain at the time. It was for that reason alone that when DMP ran their KOR Kickstarter that I went in, without hesitation, and bought the highest tier.

I had always hoped that he would get better. I felt like he had a lot of creativity ahead of him but all of that had been marred because of the cerebrospinal fluid leak that he had experienced. His panels were, to date, the only panels where I have ever cried...not just because of the thought of anyone dealing with such physical pain for decades on end but because of what could have been had he not have had the health issues that he did.

That's a very lovely KOR sketch that you own. I'm rather envious but I'm happy that it's with someone who knew him far better than I did.
Lord Geo

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2020 7:46 am Reply with quote
There's no doubt that Izumi Matsumoto was the man who showed that romance manga could thrive in Shonen Jump, alongside all of the wild action series & ridiculous gag manga. It was because of Matsumoto that someone like Masakazu Katsura was able to transition over from superhero manga like Wingman & Vander to straight romance titles in Jump like Video Girl Ai & I"s, and even more fanservice-laden modern stuff like To-Love-Ru & Yuuna and the Haunted Hot Springs still owe a little to Matsumoto & Kimagure Orange Road.

What's most wild, though, is that Matsumoto was also more directly responsible for the eventual creation of the infamously violent & sexually charged fantasy series Bastard!!, believe it or not. After working as an assistant to hentai mangaka Dirty Matsumoto (no relation to Izumi), Kazushi Hagiwara started assisting Izumi Matsumoto (no relation to Dirty), with Hagiwara apparently having admitted that his latter stint with Izumi is where he truly learned how to properly make manga. The only reason Hagiwara didn't stick with Matsumoto through to the end of Kimagure was because his first one-shot was so popular that he was asked to make another, which required him to leave Matsumoto so as to make his deadline. If you read the original version of early Bastard!!, you can even see that Hagiwara's early artwork was extremely similar to Matsumoto's, with Yoko, Princess Sheila, & Lucien looking like Hikaru, Madoka, & Kyosuke, respectively. One can only hope that Matsumoto (both of them) was proud to have been responsible for teaching someone like Hagiwara, who went on to become successful in his own right.

This was a great article, and RIP to Izumi Matsumoto.
Graceful Nanami

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2020 1:10 am Reply with quote
Thank you for sharing this, experiences like these are so inspiring.
Rest in peace.
jroa

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2020 2:28 am Reply with quote
Nice personal retrospective. Thanks for sharing these thoughts.
Gilles Poitras

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2020 8:42 am Reply with quote
Kat:
Thank you very much for this. I know how much Matsumoto's work has meant to you over the years.
I'm planning a trip to Japan for when the pandemic is under control so perhaps we can meet up again for dinner, or stalk for KOR goods at Nakano Broadway again.
Okina

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2020 1:03 pm Reply with quote
Well said!!

There really isn’t too much to add that anyone here hasn’t said already. Kimagure Orange Road is amongst my absolute favourites. While I’m a little jealous that you got to spend the type of time you did with him, you deserved it for sure

Thank you for representing us, his North American fans, and for letting him know how much his work is loved and enjoyed here. And thank you for this story
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime
Kat Callahan

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2020 7:46 pm Reply with quote
Triltaison wrote:
Thank you for sharing this story with us. It's softened the blow a bit more and is very appreciated.

Thank you!

Gem-Bug wrote:
It was my birthday, too. Sad

Thank you for sharing your stories of Matsumoto. <3

Thank you! Not a great present, no.

#916237 wrote:
Hi Kat, I made an account just to thank you for sharing this post.

I really regret not letting Izumi Matsumoto know how far his work reached and how much an American like me appreciated and truly enjoyed his work. I am thankful that you were able to deliver the message for me. Your post truly cheered me up, and I am relieved to see that his life had moments of joy despite his tragic condition.

Thank you! He struck me as a generally happy person. He did not appear to have much capacity to wallow in the unfortunate circumstances of his illness. He just kept trying to move forward.

Cutiebunny wrote:
Thank you for sharing your experiences with us. We probably met each other, even if only in passing, at PMX when Matsumoto was there in 2013. The picture of him sitting by the stuffed pink kitties was from PMX - I still remember that scarf. Always wondered if he enjoyed the tea I gave him..

All photos were taken at Katsucon 18 in 2012. I have no idea what PMX is.

Quote:
I've met several artists by attending conventions across the US for the past decade or so, but Matsumoto, as well as Akihiro Kanayama, rank among my personal favorites. Both men were incredibly kind and humble despite both being dealt some crummy cards in life (In Kanayama's case, as a young child, his father was killed by American soldiers in WWII). I was impressed with how much effort Matsumoto put into his autograph sessions despite it appearing that he was in a lot of pain at the time. It was for that reason alone that when DMP ran their KOR Kickstarter that I went in, without hesitation, and bought the highest tier.

I've met many over the years, and have illustrations from several, both at conventions and from my time here in Japan.

I actually wasn't part of the kickstarter, though I should have been. But I have been part of other major pre-order groups before. Like the AnimEigo discs. For the DVDs, I was pre-order #6!

Quote:
I had always hoped that he would get better. I felt like he had a lot of creativity ahead of him but all of that had been marred because of the cerebrospinal fluid leak that he had experienced. His panels were, to date, the only panels where I have ever cried...not just because of the thought of anyone dealing with such physical pain for decades on end but because of what could have been had he not have had the health issues that he did.

This is true, I think. He could easily rattle off series bibles for works he had only barely started drawing. His creativity never dulled. He just lacked the ability to physically do art.

Quote:
That's a very lovely KOR sketch that you own. I'm rather envious but I'm happy that it's with someone who knew him far better than I did.

It's entirely unique and to my specifications. Matsumoto was doing commissioned works at the convention, charging quite a bit. He spent four hours on mine, talking with me as he worked in his hotel room. When I asked him how much I owed him, he just cocked his head at me. "You're my assistant. This is a gift showing my gratitude." To say I was stunned is... an understatement.

Lord Geo wrote:
There's no doubt that Izumi Matsumoto was the man who showed that romance manga could thrive in Shonen Jump, alongside all of the wild action series & ridiculous gag manga. It was because of Matsumoto that someone like Masakazu Katsura was able to transition over from superhero manga like Wingman & Vander to straight romance titles in Jump like Video Girl Ai & I"s, and even more fanservice-laden modern stuff like To-Love-Ru & Yuuna and the Haunted Hot Springs still owe a little to Matsumoto & Kimagure Orange Road.

I"s has long been another personal favorite of mine.

Quote:
This was a great article, and RIP to Izumi Matsumoto.

Thank you!

Graceful Nanami wrote:
Thank you for sharing this, experiences like these are so inspiring. Rest in peace.

Thank you!

jroa wrote:
Nice personal retrospective. Thanks for sharing these thoughts.

Thank you!

Gilles Poitras wrote:
Kat:
Thank you very much for this. I know how much Matsumoto's work has meant to you over the years.
I'm planning a trip to Japan for when the pandemic is under control so perhaps we can meet up again for dinner, or stalk for KOR goods at Nakano Broadway again.

Yup. You would know. You were there for many of my early fandom interactions. And as we have done for many years, dinner and a trip to Nakano sounds like a plan!

Okina wrote:
Well said!!

There really isn’t too much to add that anyone here hasn’t said already. Kimagure Orange Road is amongst my absolute favourites. While I’m a little jealous that you got to spend the type of time you did with him, you deserved it for sure

Thank you for representing us, his North American fans, and for letting him know how much his work is loved and enjoyed here. And thank you for this story

It was the honor and privilege of my life.

Thank you!
Blackiris_

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2020 5:51 am Reply with quote
Thank you for this beautiful and personal piece, Kat. He sounds like a wonderful person from your story. I'm very inclined to check out KOR now, having a better understanding of what Matsumoto-sensei wanted to express now.
Kat Callahan

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2020 5:52 am Reply with quote
Blackiris_ wrote:
Thank you for this beautiful and personal piece, Kat. He sounds like a wonderful person from your story. I'm very inclined to check out KOR now, having a better understanding of what Matsumoto-sensei wanted to express now.

DEW EEET.
Ralph Snackshi

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2020 7:52 pm Reply with quote
I know I'm a little late but I just wanted to say thank you for this.

I was so sad earlier this week learning about his condition, but its relieving to know he never lost his drive and positivity. I'm glad you had the opportunity to know him and that he was able to see how far a reach his work had. Thank you and rest in peace Matsumoto-san.
Kat Callahan

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2020 11:37 pm Reply with quote
Ralph Snackshi wrote:
I know I'm a little late but I just wanted to say thank you for this.

I was so sad earlier this week learning about his condition, but its relieving to know he never lost his drive and positivity. I'm glad you had the opportunity to know him and that he was able to see how far a reach his work had. Thank you and rest in peace Matsumoto-san.

Not at all, it hasn't even been a week yet.

Thank you!
countryblinds

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2020 10:56 am Reply with quote
Kazuya Terashima known by his pen name Izumi Matsumoto Matsumoto Izumi), was a Japanese manga artist best known for Kimagure Orange Road. ... "Traveling Whimsical Roads with Izumi Matsumoto". Anime News Network.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2