• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
San Diego Comic-Con Will Not Sell Badges for 2021 Event

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
invalidname
Contributor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2020 5:02 am Reply with quote
It’s a very guarded statement, but is the gist of this something like “we don’t know what form a July 2021 con can take, and we’ve already rolled over so many badges from 2020 that we can’t guarantee our ability to handle any more people than that”?

With the USA having made effectively no progress in fighting COVID-19, it wouldn’t surprise me to see most, if not all, 2021 anime conventions eventually getting cancelled or at least radically reduced in attendance.
Kaylee Smerbeck

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2020 9:09 am Reply with quote
invalidname wrote:
It’s a very guarded statement, but is the gist of this something like “we don’t know what form a July 2021 con can take, and we’ve already rolled over so many badges from 2020 that we can’t guarantee our ability to handle any more people than that”?

With the USA having made effectively no progress in fighting COVID-19, it wouldn’t surprise me to see most, if not all, 2021 anime conventions eventually getting cancelled or at least radically reduced in attendance.

Also don't count on a vaccine
Idgal

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2020 10:10 am Reply with quote
The thing I hate about SDCC was it was almost impossible to buy badges unless you were grandfather in from previous years or join groups to up your odds.
Greed1914

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2020 12:19 pm Reply with quote
As I said in a different news article about a convention postponing from May 2021 to December 2021, I expect we're going to see more announcements like this. Conventions have to be planned months in advance and so far, we're not making any of the progress needed to say that convention season 2021 will be any safer than 2020. Even if things due improve by next summer, gathering thousands of people inside would still be risky. We probably won't see outright cancellations for a bit, but considering that several conventions were stuck waiting for local governments to take actions that would allow them to get out of contracts, I'm expecting a steady number to announce things like postponements or reduced attendance caps.

I can't blame them for this decision. Selling more badges when there is a good chance they'll end up having to rollover/refund them would be a waste of effort. If they can hold it safely, the more limited number of attendees would help.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1