• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: My Hero Academia Gets 3rd Anime Film in Summer 2021

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Villain-chan

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2020 2:09 pm Reply with quote
I remember the creator said the 2nd film was going to be the last film. Yet here we have a 3rd film. This is why u do not say something will be the last unless u actually mean it becus otherwise u come off as a liar or hypocrite. Glad I didn't bother to mention in anther thread how the creator said the 2nd film was going to be the last so whatever this was going to be couldn't be a film cus look here folks, 3rd film :P and yes he said "probably" but we all know when u announce something of this magnitude that probably means nothing cus otherwise u wouldn't bother announcing what ur annoucin :P (Excuse me, just kinda annoyed the creator even announced film 2 as the last and then pulled this stunt, shouldn't have made the last film announcement :P)
Aura Ichadora

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2020 2:51 pm Reply with quote
Villain-chan wrote:
I remember the creator said the 2nd film was going to be the last film. Yet here we have a 3rd film. This is why u do not say something will be the last unless u actually mean it becus otherwise u come off as a liar or hypocrite. Glad I didn't bother to mention in anther thread how the creator said the 2nd film was going to be the last so whatever this was going to be couldn't be a film cus look here folks, 3rd film Razz and yes he said "probably" but we all know when u announce something of this magnitude that probably means nothing cus otherwise u wouldn't bother announcing what ur annoucin Razz (Excuse me, just kinda annoyed the creator even announced film 2 as the last and then pulled this stunt, shouldn't have made the last film announcement Razz)
I personally disagree with the notion that "probably" meant nothing. I think Horikoshi knew that there would always be a chance for a 3rd film sometime down the line, given the success of the first two movies and the overall popularity of the series, but it was a matter of the whens, ifs, and other logistics. I think by saying "probably" at that time, it was giving him the ability to not entirely rule out any potential future changes or ideas that he could've came up with to turn into a movie script, or if there was studio pressure, or whatever else could've happened. I don't see that as meaning nothing, nor do I see it as him lying or being a hypocrite.
Soulwarfare

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2020 2:51 pm Reply with quote
Villain-chan wrote:
I remember the creator said the 2nd film was going to be the last film. Yet here we have a 3rd film. This is why u do not say something will be the last unless u actually mean it becus otherwise u come off as a liar or hypocrite. Glad I didn't bother to mention in anther thread how the creator said the 2nd film was going to be the last so whatever this was going to be couldn't be a film cus look here folks, 3rd film Razz and yes he said "probably" but we all know when u announce something of this magnitude that probably means nothing cus otherwise u wouldn't bother announcing what ur annoucin Razz (Excuse me, just kinda annoyed the creator even announced film 2 as the last and then pulled this stunt, shouldn't have made the last film announcement Razz)

He could mean last film the creator will be involved in because he technically was involved in the first 2 movies and they are also technically canon as there is reference to it in the manga.

This new movie will probably have no involvement from the creator
JeffreySweeney

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2020 4:43 pm Reply with quote
I feel like he shouldn't have even bothered to say the 2nd film would be the last to begin with. Then again, he is human and makes mistakes like us all, so we shouldn't lose sleep over him making a dumb mistake.
Scion Drake

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2020 5:35 pm Reply with quote
People always say "This is the last thing ever" until later on they get inspired & come up with a new idea they never thought of before.

Not the same thing but do you know how many times Mark Hamill has gone on record saying this is his final Joker performance before inevitability coming back to voice him again?

Can't foresee further inspiration down the line.
Egan Loo

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2020 6:52 pm Reply with quote
Soulwarfare wrote:

He could mean last film the creator will be involved in because he technically was involved in the first 2 movies and they are also technically canon as there is reference to it in the manga.

This new movie will probably have no involvement from the creator

The article wrote:
Original manga creator Kōhei Horikoshi will again serve as chief supervisor and original character designer.
crazieanimefan1

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2020 7:45 pm Reply with quote
I suddenly see a movie after every season. Once the show became a hit smash (no pun intended), we had a first movie in between season 1 and 2. Second movie hit by the time Season 4 was ending, but fit more in with the upcoming Season 5. This could be some more future things he has planned.

Either way, I'm excited. My Hero Academia has become one of my top faves and my husband now enjoys it too.
Top Gun

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2020 8:29 pm Reply with quote
Villain-chan wrote:

Gee it's almost like every single party involved likes making craploads of money!
Villain-chan

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2020 9:04 pm Reply with quote
Aura Ichadora wrote:
Villain-chan wrote:
I remember the creator said the 2nd film was going to be the last film. Yet here we have a 3rd film. This is why u do not say something will be the last unless u actually mean it becus otherwise u come off as a liar or hypocrite. Glad I didn't bother to mention in another thread how the creator said the 2nd film was going to be the last so whatever this was going to be couldn't be a film cus look here folks, 3rd film :P and yes he said "probably" but we all know when u announce something of this magnitude that probably means nothing cus otherwise u wouldn't bother announcing what ur annoucin :P (Excuse me, just kinda annoyed the creator even announced film 2 as the last and then pulled this stunt, shouldn't have made the last film announcement :P)
I personally disagree with the notion that "probably" meant nothing. I think Horikoshi knew that there would always be a chance for a 3rd film sometime down the line, given the success of the first two movies and the overall popularity of the series, but it was a matter of the whens, ifs, and other logistics. I think by saying "probably" at that time, it was giving him the ability to not entirely rule out any potential future changes or ideas that he could've came up with to turn into a movie script, or if there was studio pressure, or whatever else could've happened. I don't see that as meaning nothing, nor do I see it as him lying or being a hypocrite.
Let's assume what u said is the case. That means he knowingly announced movie 2 as the last movie while knowing a 3rd movie was always an option, thus lied becus u DON'T announce something as "the last" when u know there is a chance for more.

Now let's assume he did not know and he just said probably on the off chance he found inspiration for a 3rd film which he thought may never come but still said it on the off chance it did come. Fair point, however, the way the masses such as myself and many of the above people who made posts here, not to mention countess others not even on this site take that probably as, it's not going to happen because typically when someone announces something as the last, it truly is the last and or we take it as the last even if it isn't the last. So that probably while to the creators credit in scenario 2 here, does not mean anything to the masses and thus thats what I meant by probably means nothing, becus to the masses it does mean nothing when compared to the statement the creator made b4 saying probably.

Now as to which of the two scenarios this is or if there's another scenario, I dunno and Idc tbh lol I'm up for more MHA, even if am not a fan of the Musketeers in any franchise. lol
ATastySub
Past ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2020 9:09 pm Reply with quote
I'm sure he will personally apologize to you and everyone else individually with immense shame for the great wrong he has done to you personally, as is expected when one commits such a heinous crime as providing you with more entertainment.
FlareKnight

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2020 9:10 pm Reply with quote
Holy smokes the intense anger over making a third movie is pretty out there. Oh no, he said the last one would probably be the last movie. That's a big deal...Even if he hadn't said probably it still wouldn't be a big deal. It's making a movie.

The last MHA movie was good so makes sense to keep things going. And considering the focus on Deku and Bakugou played out well in that film, why not elevate Shouto to sharing the focus in a third movie? That could work out pretty well.

Should be interesting to see how this turns out.
RealMTL

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2020 9:10 pm Reply with quote
Whatever, I never expected the last MHA movie to be the last one anyway. Hopefully the blu-ray comes out in the US quickly.
Lycosyncer

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2020 9:11 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, we all knew that a third movie was inevitable due to how the last movie was a box office success and the anime/manga is still hugely beloved and successful and is ongoing to this day, why wouldn't they make a third anime movie?

At least My Hero Academia can now have a movie trilogy added to its name. Looking forward to seeing the next one although I got to wonder how they can top Heroes Rising because that felt pretty climactic and hard to top but with Horikoshi still being involved, I think we can expect the next one to be even bigger because with the way our main three of Izuku, Bakugo, and Todoroki wearing new upgraded costumes for this movie, we expect epic carnage coming their way.

If the pandemic is still slowing things down for Marvel and DC on the movie side of things, at least we have MHA fill in for our superhero need for 2021.
Danny123100

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2020 11:16 pm Reply with quote
Villain-chan wrote:

I believe it was stated the main reason he said he wasn't going to do a 3rd movie, was because he believed that he wouldn't be able to top the ending for the 2nd movie. Horikoshi has also even commented on that exact fact, stating that he did make a comment about "There will be no movie anymore, but there was". Then he goes on to thank everyone for all the support. I'm sure there's a ton of factors that went into it, maybe he wasn't going to originally do another movie because he felt he couldn't write a better ending that tops the 2nd, and he thought of this 3rd one now. Maybe he did just get so much overwhelming support, that he wanted to bring a 3rd movie to fans.

Honestly, there's a lot of things that could have happened. I'd rather a 3rd movie and him actually be working on it though, than them doing a 3rd movie and not have him come back. It's always personally better imo to have the actual creator who knows the characters, knows the story, and knows what he wants to do with it to try and fit it into the story if he wants to and make sense. Rather than it being a movie in limbo, taking place who knows when, and could possibly be contradicted later on in the manga.
kikuzinho

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2020 6:27 am Reply with quote
only thing Im not happy about is the staff working on the movie and the series at the same time. same as last movie. main focus should always be the manga adaptation. even though the movies were nice and all, if they had put the 2nd movie's resources into the previous season, it would have been better. and I feel same thing is gonna happen here (series is due for spring, movie for summer, so it's exactly the same thing that happened with season 4, where some episodes are gonna feel bit lazy due to everyone working on mandatory sakuga for the movie)
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2