• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: hololive's Usada Pekora Comes Out as a Virtual YouTuber to Her Mother

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Shayru

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2020 6:56 pm Reply with quote
While I have no problem about the article,
it would be better no to use this sub channel, they've been shown more than once to do a lot of shitty translations, not caring even when known subbers tell them about it, and sparking some bad drama because of one of his translations
gpanthony

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2020 9:51 pm Reply with quote
This was such a fun stream, I was sad I missed it live. I was planning on getting a membership during it, but am waiting for the next time I catch a live stream. Her horror at her mother ending her sentences with "peko" was great.

I gotta wonder what the conversation around the dinner table was like after that, it's not every day you randomly find out your daughter is an extremely popular international celebrity with her own brand of sake.

Also glad to see that Haachama made it back to Japan finally and Coco is back from hiatus again. Also Ollie in general.
SubaruSumeragi22

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2020 10:02 pm Reply with quote
@Shayru's comment: Some alternate sub channels translating this moment

CMT: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=97uoa0_EhVw
Vtube Tengoku: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fScrTOqHOV0

Length and content may vary from the provided version in ANN's article.
Mr VacBob

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2020 1:23 am Reply with quote
Indeed, please don't use that guy's awful sub channel as a source. These are actual people he's translating, and he speedsubs for attention so hard he's badly mistranslated very personal announcements from people, to the point Hololive has actually copyright struck him before. Which he didn't apologize for.
Sasukeuzi

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2020 9:52 am Reply with quote
Going to also concur on the OtakMori opinion of bad translations. A lot of their videos have misconstrued what was actually being said, and they're well known in the Vtuber community for bad translations. I don't doubt that they can improve, but they've remained persistent on putting out translations that are just straight up wrong and make the speaker look bad in some cases.
ANN_Lynzee
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2020 10:35 am Reply with quote
Hi everyone, Kim here is fluent enough in Japanese that she performs interviews with Japanese staff in their native language. She has translated books from Japanese to English professionally. She would not have embedded this video if she had reason to believe the translation is inaccurate.

Whatever community drama there is attached to the channel owner aside, placing that kind of expectation on her is unreasonable. It may not be the folks here, but fandom members would do well to remember that this kind of "well actually" nitpicking is at best disheartening to staff who are trying to do their job.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Shayru

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2020 11:19 am Reply with quote
So you're alright with putting someone having made multiple known mistakes (wether they'd be insignificant or had a bad impact on a lot of things ) with no real attempt to work on them in the front page of the website, they are translating people and this channel has been known for making some vtuber say what they haven't.

To give a recent equivalent example, let's imagine act-age author just started a new manga, do you think people would be happy about that ? I'm pretty sure no, the problem here is the same kind of problematic people, except there are other people doing the same thing that can replace this problematic video.

A lot of times, we've seen people getting canceled on youtube and such, all because of these kind of things were people wouldn't do full check of what they are using or saying, if you're doing journalistic work, it would seem logical to check the people behind the video, just like when you're talking about an artist, director or such, they'll most of the time be an history of what he has done, so why shouldn't there be a check here I don't really get it there's a lot of easy to access info on wether the translator can be consider a good one or not, and known good subbers can easily be reached to check if the person you're using should be used or not especially when they got blacklist by the official staff.

Also, we've mostly notified of the mistake here and were all nice about it I don't get why you feel the need to attack the fandom when this is a legitimate reason to "nitpick" since the channel caused problems for real persons, it would be simple to update/edit the article like when problems happened before, I think that's what most of us would be alright with .
ANN_Lynzee
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2020 11:29 am Reply with quote
Did you compare someone doing poor subtitle translation to an author who was arrested for sexually assaulting middle school girls?

I'm pointing this out because I'm asking the fandom as a whole. I even said "it may not be anyone here" because there are individuals on other platforms bothering my employee about this video. Not just "hey, just so you know" but talking down to her about her adequacy in doing her job, even though she's more than qualified and there aren't any problems in this article itself, as far as translation.

As her editor, based on the information provided in this thread, I'm not going to "cancel" this YouTuber. I can understand individuals distaste for their practices and in general would want to make sure their subtitles are accurate before ever using them, but in the ethical scheme of things no, I'm not concerned nor do I feel compelled to change anything about this article.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
faboo95

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2020 4:24 pm Reply with quote
As long as the video in question is accurate, I don't see the harm in this particular situation. With that said though, it does speak volume that ANN felt the need to publicly doubling down in showcasing the "problematic" channel and calling out the "fandom" in the process. Not exactly the smartest of moves as it's just adding more fuel to the fire and shows some lack of journalistic integrity.

Last edited by faboo95 on Thu Dec 17, 2020 9:38 am; edited 2 times in total
ANN_Lynzee
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2020 4:53 pm Reply with quote
I'll take the hit for that, as I'm pretty comfortable with my level of journalistic integrity. I'm not cool with my writer being dogpiled on multiple platforms, which is what my point is about.
faboo95

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2020 10:11 am Reply with quote
octopodpie wrote:
I'll take the hit for that, as I'm pretty comfortable with my level of journalistic integrity. I'm not cool with my writer being dogpiled on multiple platforms, which is what my point is about.

Though I understand the reaction, I just don't think it was effective to post in the forums where the dogpiling didn't take place nor was it a smart call to practically be dismissive of the fact that the linked video was from a "unreliable source".

But again as they say, "a broken clock is right twice a day". I can only assume that not all of their videos are filled with inaccurate translations so as long as the translations for this particular video are correct, I really don't have an issue with it.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2020 10:34 am Reply with quote
While it's a cute moment I find it very hard to believe that they both live in the same house and Mama Peko has heard her talking and streaming for hours (seemingly to herself) and just has never looked into what her daughter was doing.

I will say tho you can _FEEL_ the Onee-san energy from Mama Peko's voice.
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2020 2:04 pm Reply with quote
Hi Shayru,

We do appreciate you, and everyone else who has politely informed us about the issues with that subtitler. It's information we can store away and keep in mind next time one of their videos is looked at as a possible reference for one of our articles.

It doesn't mean that we would never embed them again, but all things being equal, we would prefer to embed videos from people who are known to do a better job.

As Lynzee pointed out, Kim's Japanese is more than adequate, and she viewed the subtitles before embedding them. The content embedded in ANN was accurate, and that is what is most important to us, presenting accurate content. Any drama surrounding this translator's other videos is secondary. Not irrelevant, but definitely secondary.

Our community on ANN is generally pretty great. You guys point our our errors, and express your disagreement with us respectfully. This allows us to grow as a website, and also allows us to discuss our point of view with you; we're not always going to agree with a reader's criticism of ANN, but we always take it seriously.

Kim's a great journalist, she's a huge asset to ANN and the community, and we are proud to publish her work.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2020 4:08 pm Reply with quote
Did some clean up because some people just want to beat a dear horse into the ground. Lynzee as the editor explained the situation. The CEO stepped in and spoke his piece. Discuss the ACTUAL article and what it's about or move on.
Juno016

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2020 8:11 pm Reply with quote
Fluent in Japanese and English. I have no context on the rest of the person's videos, but this video is fine. I've seen a VERY fair amount of game-changing bad translations in professional published products that you'd all go insane if only you knew... but seriously, translation can be hard sometimes, especially for an independent creator on youtube. Not worth toxicity.

Pekora's mom is adorable and it really reflects with Pekora's attitude in her streams. I tried so hard to avoid vtubers, but it's hard to avoid them when youtube won't shut up about them, so I got pulled into the Moona and Pekora emotionally heartwarming rollercoaster a good two months back. So far, I only really pay attention to them and the Among Us collabs, which are a lot of fun.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1