• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Persona 5 Strikers Hands-On Preview - Don't Bring a Knife to a Persona Fight

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Greed1914

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2021 1:09 pm Reply with quote
Gonna be honest, the fact that the story is a true sequel meant this was a must buy for me.
OtherSideofSky

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2021 3:45 pm Reply with quote
Played the Japanese version last spring. Easily my favorite Persona spinoff. I imagine people looking for a more traditional Musou game will be disappointed, but I personally loved it. The boss fights are easily the best any Musou game has ever had. They don't rely on player movesets, like bosses in traditional Musou games do, so they have varied and properly telegraphed attacks, multiple phases, and various other gimmicks that make them feel closer to bosses in a traditional action game.

I have to disagree with the review about the battle system: spamming spells at bosses only works if you're on the easiest difficulty, comically over-levelled, or chugging a quantity of SP-recovery items that would require grinding for money. Otherwise, bosses have enough health and do enough damage when you first encounter them that you want to save your spells for knocking them out of the windup to big attacks and whittle down their stagger meter using the elemental and debuff attacks built into characters' normal combo strings. You definitely can clear out most mini-bosses, which are just powered up versions of regular enemies, by spamming their weaknesses until your SP runs dry and then leaving the dungeon to recharge, but it's neither the fastest or the most fun way to play, so I don't really understand why you would unless you were getting stuck on one of those fights (in which case I think the option is preferable to just having to grind or "get good"). Several other characters also have way better crowd-control moves than Joker, regardless of his equipped Persona, in addition to some very useful gimmicks that unlock as you progress, and not using them is hardly an optimal strategy; it's just something you can do because the game isn't terribly punishing.
Xavon

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2021 8:55 pm Reply with quote
Seriously? This game has been out for basically a year in Japan, and Atlus thinks they need to limit spoilers? yuoTube has recommended 'all P5S cutscenes, subtitled' to me twice in the last four months....
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1