• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Sentai Licenses Nana TV Anime

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CatSword

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2021 3:38 pm Reply with quote
It's about time this show gets a good release. I've seen the full set of Viz's DVDs going for over $1,000 on eBay.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
LightningComet

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2021 3:42 pm Reply with quote
Good on Sentai for not forgetting the classics. I was extremely lucky to have found the original Viz media DVD releases at my local library some years back; those would go for roughly $300 online. Reading this news about a (hopefully) BD release makes me happy.
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2021 3:48 pm Reply with quote
that's neat. Tried it about a decade ago when Neon Alley was a thing and never got very far. I'd like to try and finish, so hopefully HIDIVE can get it streaming relatively soon
Tanteikingdomkey

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2021 4:04 pm Reply with quote
I am SO happy this is going to be back in print, I really hope it includes the dub
Neverwhere

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2021 4:08 pm Reply with quote
Fantastic news! I was just wishing for an HD release of this other day, I can't wait for more people to discover this series.
cookiemanstah

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2021 4:32 pm Reply with quote
a fun fact is this anime was greenlit for a continuation before it was even finished airing since it was so successful but the author just gave up on writing. So it never happened.
Sam Murai

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2021 4:57 pm Reply with quote
Tanteikingdomkey wrote:
I am SO happy this is going to be back in print, I really hope it includes the dub

Same here, especially in HD! I really hope the Ocean dub is included, because it was one of their very best and very well-acted & authentic.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Villain-chan

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2021 6:22 pm Reply with quote
cookiemanstah wrote:
a fun fact is this anime was greenlit for a continuation before it was even finished airing since it was so successful but the author just gave up on writing. So it never happened.
That explains spoiler[the crap ending... it soured me on the series sadly]
Finny-chan

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2021 6:41 pm Reply with quote
Now if they will get the other Viz oop title Monster. I've been wanting to watch that for a long time, but I've been holding off on watching fansubs since Sentai and Rightstuf has been picking up dead titles.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2021 7:32 pm Reply with quote
Ah, Nana. I once had a discussion online with someone who said, paraphrasing, "it wasn't rape, it was coerced sex".
Zhou-BR

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2021 7:33 pm Reply with quote
cookiemanstah wrote:

Ai Yazawa didn't just "give up on writing". She has an undisclosed medical condition that's been keeping her from resuming the manga. And the fact that Shueisha never released a Vol. 22 collecting the last 3 and a half chapters she did before the hiatus suggests they still hope she'll resume it eventually.

And I'm not sure a sequel to the anime was ever "greenlit". Producer Masao Maruyama, who's not at Madhouse anymore, reportedly said at a film festival in Italy back in 2007 that they'd wait for the manga to end before doing a second season, but that doesn't necessarily mean it was a done deal.
-SP-

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2021 8:53 pm Reply with quote
Literally finished watching this earlier this month, an HD release would have been nice
pluvia33

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2021 8:59 pm Reply with quote
Yay! The old Viz DVDs used to (technically) be in my collection, but I bought them as a present to my now-ex-wife so they went to her when we divorced and divided things up. It will be great to be able to get a physical copy of the series again without having to pay an arm and a leg.
NJ_

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2021 9:45 pm Reply with quote
Here's hoping the upscale isn't as crappy as the Kaze French release from earlier this month.

https://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?p=18563512#post18563512

I wonder if they have the live-action films that Viz had as well?
delariean

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2021 11:26 pm Reply with quote
I just hope that it will be finally uncut and not have the replacement music VIZ had to get around. Is that still an issue of not hearing Olivia's A little Pain as the first ED?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3