• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: The Quintessential Quintuplets Anime Sequel Film to Open in 2022

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
anstar019

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2021 7:26 am Reply with quote
NO, NO, NO.

Don't do us dirty like that. give us another season.

This is just Saekano all over again. There is enough source material left for another season, but the production shift to a final film. They will speedrun the entire volumes just to give an unsatisfying ending.
Soulwarfare

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2021 9:24 am Reply with quote
Why a film? Why not just do another season?
Jay_Stone

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2021 9:47 am Reply with quote
Is it possible to squeeze everything into a movie? The second season was really enjoyable, but some episodes felt like they could be separated into two different ones.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2021 11:12 am Reply with quote
Jay_Stone wrote:
Is it possible to squeeze everything into a movie? The second season was really enjoyable, but some episodes felt like they could be separated into two different ones.

They could. The School Festival arc is the next big one, which is also the climax of the story.
Xionea

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2021 4:29 pm Reply with quote
I can certainly see the concerns people will have with this change, but I think this'll be fine. Honestly, there's not a whole lot left to cover, basically just the final arc. I think that's good enough to cover in the span of a 2~ hour movie. Definitely gonna be looking forward to it.
Covnam

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2021 5:19 pm Reply with quote
Damn, it's a movie -_-
Kuzu

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2021 7:28 pm Reply with quote
Welp, I already know exactly what they're going to cover then. Which doesn't bode well for the rest of the material.
TheWonderOfYou

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2021 4:53 am Reply with quote
No amount of good directing can make this work.

If they directly continue where the anime has left off, the beginning of the movie will highly suggests who will take the crown.

If the direct continuation of the manga's material is moved beyond post-conflict, which is possible, then it becomes cheap character exploration AFTER everything is said and done.

I expect at least 20 chapters for them to adapt, then most likely they will jump to the final 2.

Oh, and they will defiitely bait and hide the winner as much as possible with the future PVs.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2021 8:24 am Reply with quote
TheWonderOfYou wrote:
If they directly continue where the anime has left off, the beginning of the movie will highly suggests who will take the crown.

The manga's been done for long enough that the winner might be considered common knowledge. Even in season 2 it felt more focus was put on the winner. Then again, I could be imagining that since I do know who wins.

Of course the anime could have a different winner.
tywhoppity

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2021 8:30 am Reply with quote
They may still give an original ending; they stopped S2 at a point where any of the girls could still be the bride. Would it be easier to market a BD movie where aspoiler[ "popular"] girl gets married?
pip25

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2021 11:04 am Reply with quote
They could have used a third season to expand on the denouement, but instead chose to rush the part of the manga that was the weakest in terms of pacing to begin with. Immensely disappointing.
MFrontier

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2021 10:49 pm Reply with quote
I'm fine with a movie so long as it properly concludes the series, although I'm concerned that the movie format will mean it's a long time before it's probably released in the West.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1