• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Mamoru Oshii: "Hideaki Anno is More of a Producer Than a Director These Days"

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kuma991

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2021 11:00 am Reply with quote
Who died and made him boss?
Inspiration is universal and critique should include a proposition on how to make it better. This is just professional jealousy coupled with a general misunderstanding of Miyazaki and Anno's artistry.

He should re-watch his own Angel's Egg, and then watch 3.0+1.0 or The Wind Rises.
cchigu

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2021 11:05 am Reply with quote
Lmao, Oshii my boy, thank you for speaking the truth. Original TV show aside, the rebuild of Evangelion definitely feels like style over substance to me.

Based Oshii.
jdnation

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2021 11:09 am Reply with quote
I haven't seen the new Eva yet, but I would disagree with Oshii that Anno, Sinai and Hosoda's works don't have a theme, so I don't know if something was lost in translation, but maybe Oshii means that they lack a theme that specifically addresses current affairs?

You can say that Anno/Shinkai/Hosoda have classic timeless themes about love, family, inner struggle, some universal topic most agree about etc. Whereas Oshii and Miyazaki try to comment on their present day criticisms of Japan or the world. Whether that's militarism, dark projections of a technological age, Japanese identity or dealing with their past on unpleasant topics etc.

So Oshii wants to "pick a fight" with a theme that's topical and in the context of Japan is usually a third rail versus just something more easily broadly marketed.

I believe that's the context here.
Abraham Omosun

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2021 11:15 am Reply with quote
Can't wait for the eventual final battle of Miyazaki vs Oshii vs Anno vs Tomino as the 4 Oldmen of the Anime Apocalypse (ANIPOCALYPSE? ANIMECALYPSE?) battle it out for supremacy Laughing Laughing
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2021 11:31 am Reply with quote
It's funny that this comes out the same time an article on this site about Anno and Itanos themes of Megazone 23 and Eva.

On the subject at hand, I feel that we already knew this. Anno hasn't done anything hands on since he worked on his wives Anime back in 06. His main work now is producing the Eva films, Japan Animator Expo and Godzilla.
cchigu wrote:
Lmao, Oshii my boy, thank you for speaking the truth. Original TV show aside, the rebuild of Evangelion definitely feels like style over substance to me.
Come on, don't pick and choice, do you agree with him on Anno or not.
Zhou-BR

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2021 12:10 pm Reply with quote
Anno, Hosoda and Shinkai are obviously not above criticism, but I find it oddly myopic of Oshii to say their works "lack a main theme". Most of Anno's works since Evangelion have been about broken people who have a prickly relationship with each other and with society as a whole, just like Hosoda keeps making movies about family and Shinkai keeps telling stories about young lovers who are kept apart by circumstances beyond their control.

However, he's right about Anno being a much less hands-on director than he used to be. On Re: Cutie Honey and all four Rebuild of Evangelion movies, he worked as a supervising director with two or three directors working under him. As for his increased involvement in the business side of filmmaking, that's something he's had to do in order to avoid repeating the mistakes Gainax did, as this article detailed.
Pokenatic

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2021 12:13 pm Reply with quote
Gotta say, Oshii absolutely lost me when he said Hosoda and Shinkai's works also "lacked a main theme".
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
SpacemanHardy

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2021 12:19 pm Reply with quote
Grandad's off his meds again. Rolling Eyes
Whitestrider

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2021 12:52 pm Reply with quote
Pokenatic wrote:
Gotta say, Oshii absolutely lost me when he said Hosoda and Shinkai's works also "lacked a main theme".

Well in a way he's not that wrong, aShinkai is too much over-rated. Hosoda has made some interesting stuff, but in the recent years he's becoming less and less relevant.

Also Anno in the last 20 years has only rivisited Evangelion and made a boring Godzilla movie.
Saiphaz

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2021 1:09 pm Reply with quote
Not that Oshii can talk much, given that none of his recent works match the soul of his earlier works either, but the man is right. Rebuild movies are the work of a man who hates the franchise he created. At the very least I can't feel the same passion that oozes form the anime. Maybe it's the CG, maybe it's the overly safe plot with sprinkles of pretentiousness for its own sake, or that the subtleties of it have been discussed to death, I don't know.

The anime was the work of a disturbed man. The movies just feel like a product.
Pokenatic

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2021 1:12 pm Reply with quote
Whitestrider wrote:
Well in a way he's not that wrong, aShinkai is too much over-rated. Hosoda has made some interesting stuff, but in the recent years he's becoming less and less relevant.

Granted, for Shinkai I'm only going off of your name., but to say that a movie that entirely revolves around the loss of cultural heritage while society marches on "lacks a main theme" feels absolutely absurd.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
insert name here

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2021 1:19 pm Reply with quote
It's weird to say there aren't consistent themes in Hosoda, Shinkai, and Anno's work. It might be more accurate to say that they don't approach their work's themes with the same level of intentionality as Oshii and probably Miyazaki.
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2021 1:28 pm Reply with quote
In the context of his most recent work, last season’s Vlad Love, it seems his sense of “picking a fight with society” has reverted to like what that would have been in like the 80s, when he started directing. If you want to make a zany slapstick comedy full of references, more power to you, but if you want to hoist yourself up as “picking a fight with society” or making “strong medicine” and make that, it gets a bit eye-rolling. It’s probably a sign you’re washed up as a director when you make more news about what you say about other directors’ work than what you say with your own current works. Perhaps outside the context of his recent work, I would be willing to indulge the way he labels himself and his works, but in that context, it just makes him look out of touch, and fishing for agreement with vague platitudes that people can latch their own dissatisfaction with the work of directors who are making movies that many people actually go out to watch, even if their idea of what would be better is very different from his own.
H. Guderian

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2021 1:31 pm Reply with quote
cchigu wrote:

Based Oshii.

The comparison I'd make is that in the 3rd Rebuild, Fuyutsuki sits down with Shinji to play a board game. The old man admits he doesn't really know how to communicate with others, so doing this allows him to communicate with others. Bazed in Anno's scraggly youth days, Anno says he animates as a means of communicating with people. Something he was not good at. Miyazaki cast Anno as the lead in Wind Rises for the same reasons. Someone that gets lost in their work.

The 3rd Rebuild movie was trash, but was littered with signals and signs that Anno himself was lost, and didn't know where to go or what to do. Indeed, Oshii is correct that this is Anno's style. The "I" novel form has a long tradition in Japan, and I love both Anno and Oshii's work.

So I don't think the rebuilds are precisely style over substance. They certainly are. he's an Effects Animator who was cast into stardom and something like a god to the industry. But I read Rebuild 3 as reflecting its creator, and in that sense its brilliant. The story is trash and confusing, but few other creators put themselves on the page like Anno. its quite fascinating on a Meta-level.
Whitestrider

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2021 1:41 pm Reply with quote
Pokenatic wrote:
Whitestrider wrote:

Granted, for Shinkai I'm only going off of your name., but to say that a movie that entirely revolves around the loss of cultural heritage while society marches on "lacks a main theme" feels absolutely absurd.

The problem with Shinkai is not that his movies lack a main theme...heck, there are various examples of movies that absolutely lack any themes whatsoever that are still great.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2