• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: One Peace Books Launches The Rising of the Shield Hero Audiobook

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Connor Dino

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2021 9:04 am Reply with quote
This is interesting to me because I have to think they will retranslate the LN. I have read the LN release up till volume 6 or 7 and my god, either the prose was absolutely terrible or the translation was total garbage. It was filled with spelling errors and confusing writing. I generally hated the experience of reading it...so I wonder if this will improve it? Otherwise we are going to have a narrator encounter some "odd" sentences.
MFrontier

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2021 11:10 am Reply with quote
Name kind of reminds me of Kana Hanazawa.
OtherSideofSky

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2021 11:12 am Reply with quote
Connor Dino wrote:
This is interesting to me because I have to think they will retranslate the LN. I have read the LN release up till volume 6 or 7 and my god, either the prose was absolutely terrible or the translation was total garbage. It was filled with spelling errors and confusing writing. I generally hated the experience of reading it...so I wonder if this will improve it? Otherwise we are going to have a narrator encounter some "odd" sentences.

Shield Hero's prose is total garbage in Japanese, but those sound like issues with the English edition. Things like spelling errors don't generally carry over between languages anyway, but its problem isn't being confusing; it's overexplaining everything to death. (I distinctly remember a part where the same ability gets explained in detail three times in one chapter, and redundant sentences are the norm in descriptive passages.) That's not even touching on its basic story structure issues, of course.

The Japanese audiobooks are more bearable than actually reading it (if only because they don't require your undivided attention), although you can tell that the woman reading them struggles with deep-voiced male villain laughs. I wonder what an English-language reader would make of all the laughter, grunts, and other weird noises that normally wouldn't be written out in English prose. (I would assume the translation wrote around some of that, but multiple characters have signature nonverbal exclamations that probably stuck around.)
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1