• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Penguindrum Anime Compilation Project Will Be 2 Films in 2022

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
NJ_

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2021 5:42 am Reply with quote
Well this should be interesting.

Here's hoping FUNi gets them here because as much as the idea sucks, it can't be worse than Sentai's dub, subs & disc releases of the TV show.....which they never fixed the latter by the way.
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2021 9:50 am Reply with quote
NJ_ wrote:

Here's hoping FUNi gets them here because as much as the idea sucks, it can't be worse than Sentai's dub, subs & disc releases of the TV show.....which they never fixed the latter by the way.
That was a Steven Foster dub right? he doesn't work there any more, so if they got it, it would be under a new ADR director.
KitKat1721

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2021 9:51 am Reply with quote
Even though I'm perfectly happy with the series and its finale as is, I can't help but be excited given that Penguindrum is my favorite of Ikuhara's work. No matter where the new content falls in terms of necessity (a true sequel, companion piece, alternate ending, etc...), I know its at least going to be something worth watching.

Also yeah, I'd be totally fine if another company besides Sentai licensed this. Not only did they give it a downright awful dub and some questionable subtitles, but they still haven't given it a single blu-ray re-release years later, which just really annoys me. Might have to look at getting a region-free blu-ray player, because that collector's edition from Anime Limited is super tempting.
MarshalBanana wrote:
That was a Steven Foster dub right? he doesn't work there any more, so if they got it, it would be under a new ADR director.

So he only directed the first half (Eps 1-13) and (thankfully?) someone else took over in the second half (no idea if he just left the project midway or that was always planned, sometimes it happens just because of scheduling). Unfortunately, the new director didn't have too many shows under their belt and he still couldn't save the dub at that point since it was completely cast/the scriptwriter to my knowledge was the same anyway.

Dubs for Ikuhara shows (not counting his Sailor Moon seasons/movie) have been fascinating to follow to say the least. Utena and Penguindrum are sort of garbage for completely different reasons, Yuri Kuma Arashi is just very average (likely due to being a very early simuldub), and somehow?? Sarazanmai - the show that should be one of the hardest to dub given the singing and younger cast - is easily the best effort both script-wise and performance-wise.
xxmsxx

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2021 11:07 am Reply with quote
Glad to see the anime episodes are not region-locked.

Honestly, I really miss this kind of anime. But then again, it was directed by Ikuhara. Not everyone can be Ikuhara.

Very excited for the film. Like others, I am perfectly fine with the finales of the original TV series, but it is always good to see a show remain appraised all these years later.
NJ_

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2021 11:25 am Reply with quote
KitKat1721 wrote:
Also yeah, I'd be totally fine if another company besides Sentai licensed this. Not only did they give it a downright awful dub and some questionable subtitles, but they still haven't given it a single blu-ray re-release years later, which just really annoys me. Might have to look at getting a region-free blu-ray player, because that collector's edition from Anime Limited is super tempting.

And it's guaranteed to look better since Justin worked on the discs for that release and he knows how bad Sentai's discs were since he verbally buried them in a old ANNCast episode.
1dbad

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2021 8:29 pm Reply with quote
New content isn't surprising but nice to have it confirmed. Ikuhara projects are such a rarity that I have faith these movies will be worth watching. He's the kind of director who only tackles a project when he's feeling truly inspired.

The Youtube release of episodes on Wednesdays is an interesting idea. I might try doing a Penguindrum rewatch at that rate. I didn't enjoy my initial watch of it that much but I feel like I'd enjoy it more this time around. Now I have a better frame of reference for it between The Artifice's fantastic write-up for it and finally watching Rose of Versailles.

KitKat1721 wrote:
and somehow?? Sarazanmai - the show that should be one of the hardest to dub given the singing and younger cast - is easily the best effort both script-wise and performance-wise.

If FUNi get this, I hope they let the director and script adapter(s) for Sarazanmai handle the dubs. I was so impressed by their work with Sarazanmai that I'd LOVE to see that team handle more Ikuhara works. (I know this is a pipe dream at best but can you imagine an Utena redub by them??? It would be EVERYTHING.)
Egan Loo

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2021 8:43 pm Reply with quote
1dbad wrote:
New content isn't surprising but nice to have it confirmed.

The staff had confirmed new sequences back in March:

animenewsnetwork.com/news/2021-03-31/kunihiko-ikuhara-penguindrum-tv-anime-gets-compilation-film-project/.171327
penguintruth

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2021 8:54 pm Reply with quote
NJ_ wrote:

I thought Monica Rial and Emily Neves were good in the dub. Most of the others, though…
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
KENZICHI

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2021 9:18 pm Reply with quote
Anything new Penguindrum related is great!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1